06/23/2010 07:35 PM
06/23/2010 07:35 PM
Columbia Missouri
C
ced242s Offline OP
ced242s  Offline OP
C
Columbia Missouri
I just came across this site while browsing around on the internet and it claims bottled water is good for only a year to two and tap water is only good for a matter of days. I was wondering if this sounded fishy to anyone else considering I've always been told water doesn't go "bad" just stale tasting. What is really weird is that it is from Virginia tech university and from a food science department?

http://www.pubs.ext.vt.edu/348/348-960/348-960.html

Looking for a few good people
Re: Water expiration? #100801
06/24/2010 04:38 AM
06/24/2010 04:38 AM
Slipping the surly bonds of ea...
F
Flight-ER-Doc Offline
Flight-ER-Doc  Offline
F
I put up tap water in 5 and 7 gallon containers and it keeps at least a year (I replace it then, just because). I put about a capfull (more or less) of plain chlorox bleach in the container each time I refill it.

I've also kept bottled water (in the hard plastic sport bottles) for years, and nothing grew in it....I actually sent one off after a few years to be analyzed.

Emergency Medicine - saving the world from themselves, one at a time.

"Thou shalt not be a victim, thou shalt not be a perpetrator, but, above all, thou shalt not be a bystander."

I make the ADL soil themselves. And that makes me very happy smile
Re: Water expiration? #100802
06/24/2010 04:53 AM
06/24/2010 04:53 AM
MT
C
C. M. Wolf Offline
C. M. Wolf  Offline
C
MT
Hummm... Just how long does it take for Water to Evaporate from a certain container? Because that is THE only way "Water can Expire".

I do understand that many plastic water containers can leach out some harmfull chemicals into the water they store. This does take time and any "Expiration Date" would only reflect this aspect of water storage. On the other side of this container issue, is there are many types of water containers that are strict chemical grade plastics and metals and do not leach any chemicals into what they are storing.

{As a note; Keep in mind the nature of "Water", it is one of the very few sustances that is both an Acid and a Base, at the same time.}

But "Water" itself, cannot ever "Expire" other than to "Evaporate" or become contaminated.

Michael

"Argue for your limitations, and in the end, when all is said and done, they're your's!"

"Sheeple & Shepherds, pick one! You can't be both no matter how you dress."

The higher ya go... the higher ya can get! Mountain Men Rock!
Re: Water expiration? #100803
06/24/2010 08:45 AM
06/24/2010 08:45 AM
Maryland
O
OLM-Medic Offline
OLM-Medic  Offline
O
Maryland
Is the bleach part neccessary for storage?

"Remember that your adversary's desire to live is usually more powerful than whatever ammunition your are carrying in your firearms. Plan accordingly." -tire iron
Re: Water expiration? #100804
06/24/2010 11:58 AM
06/24/2010 11:58 AM
F
Flight-ER-Doc Offline
Flight-ER-Doc  Offline
F
It's not a bad idea, to keep it clean. Especially if there will be any light where you store it.

You can use a carbon filter, or just let the container sit open for a day or two to get rid of the chlorine when you use it, if you want: It's really a small amount.

Emergency Medicine - saving the world from themselves, one at a time.

"Thou shalt not be a victim, thou shalt not be a perpetrator, but, above all, thou shalt not be a bystander."

I make the ADL soil themselves. And that makes me very happy smile

Moderated by  airforce, ConSigCor 

©>
©All information posted on this site is the private property of the individual author and AWRM.net and may not be reproduced without permission. © 2001-2020 AWRM.net All Rights Reserved.