04/28/2011 12:30 PM
04/28/2011 12:30 PM
Tulsa
airforce Online content OP
Administrator
airforce  Online Content OP
Administrator
Tulsa
I've eaten a lot of things that some folks would consider weird, but I've never had the slightest desire to eat an armadillo. And, to be truthful, I wouldn't have a clue how to skin the ugly armored critters, even if I did want to eat one.

Well, that's maybe a good thing. According to the New England Journal of Medicine , armadillos are almost certainly the source of leprosy in about 1/3 of the cases of leprosy seen in Texas and Louisiana. Many of these folks have never traveled to Mexico or Central America, where most cases of leprosy are seen in North America are contracted. It is also endemic in India, Brazil, and the Philippines.

If caught early, leprosy (Hansen's disease) is treatable with antibiotics. But still, if you're tempted to skin and eat one, don't.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Re: Armadillos A Source Of Leprosy #101014
04/28/2011 12:46 PM
04/28/2011 12:46 PM
Tyler County, TX
T
Texas Resistance Offline
Texas Resistance  Offline
T
Tyler County, TX
Thanks for the information Airforce. Many times I have had to pull my dogs out of armadillo holes and then had to pull out bit off roots that were stuck across the roofs of their mouths. Next time I need to put on rubber gloves. I am lucky I never got it. I have heard some hog hunters and some coon hunters whip their dogs for going after armadillos. When I was a kid one time on a bet I chased down an armadillo and picked it up for fun.

www.TexasMilitia.Info Seek out and join a lawful Militia or form one in your area. If you wish to remain Free you will have to fight for it...because the traitors will give us no choice in the matter--William Cooper
Re: Armadillos A Source Of Leprosy #101015
04/28/2011 12:51 PM
04/28/2011 12:51 PM
Tulsa
Administrator
Administrator
Tulsa
I once shot an armadillo that was rooting around in the garden. But really, their major nemesis seems to be cars. It seems like they just can't quite make it across a road. Some years around here, the highways are littered with them.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Re: Armadillos A Source Of Leprosy #101016
04/28/2011 03:54 PM
04/28/2011 03:54 PM
Tulsa
Administrator
Administrator
Tulsa
Apparently, it\'s not real easy to catch. It requires frequent handling of armadillos or eating them. Neither of which I plan to do.

LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - "Now we have the link," said James Krahenbuhl, who heads a government leprosy program that led the new study.

The ancient scourge of primitive man is rarely fatal today. Called Hansen's disease, leprosy is easily curable with prompt treatment.

There are only 150 leprosy cases reported each year in the U.S. Even then, it's mostly among travelers to places such as India, Brazil and Angola where it's more common.

Armadillos are one of the very few mammals that harbor the bacteria that cause the sometimes disfiguring disease, which first shows up as an unusual lumpy skin lesion.

An international team of scientists have published their findings in Thursday's New England Journal of Medicine. They think it requires frequent handling of armadillos or eating their meat for leprosy to spread.

DNA samples were taken from 33 wild armadillos in Arkansas, Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas, where they're sometimes referred to as "hillbilly speed bumps" because they're often run over by cars.

Scientists took skin biopsies from 50 leprosy patients. Three-quarters had never had foreign exposure, but lived in Southern states where they could have been exposed to armadillos.

Further analysis found that samples from the patients and armadillos were genetically similar to each other and were different from leprosy strains found elsewhere in the world. The unique strain was found in 28 armadillos and 25 patients.

Of the 15 patients for whom researchers had information, seven said they had no contact with armadillos; eight said they did, including one who routinely hunted and ate them....
Onward and upward,
airforce

Re: Armadillos A Source Of Leprosy #101017
05/01/2011 08:03 PM
05/01/2011 08:03 PM
Western States
Breacher Offline
Breacher  Offline
Western States
It's a southern thing about eating wild critters, and since the deer they have are pretty small and stringy, not the big healthy corn fed animals you see up north which are considered "bonus livestock" by farmers, or a nuisance (they chow down on a lot of farm grain) which makes year round hunting fairly well tolerated.

So in the south, the ecosystem is actually more wild, and people get into this "have you tried ______", and every once in a while someone finds something they like, smothered in enough oil, garlic and spices to disguise what it had been anyway. Looks like there is enough reason now to just skip the armadillo.

Life liberty, and the pursuit of those who threaten them.

Trump: not the president America needs, but the president America deserves.
Re: Armadillos A Source Of Leprosy #101018
05/02/2011 06:23 AM
05/02/2011 06:23 AM
43/18
McMedic Offline
McMedic  Offline
43/18
Armadillo = Possum on the half shell!

Seriously though, I've never eaten one. I'll have to be REAL hungry to start.

Re: Armadillos A Source Of Leprosy #101019
05/02/2011 11:56 AM
05/02/2011 11:56 AM
Texas
S
shawri Offline
shawri  Offline
S
Texas
Armadillos usually try to scare things by jumping a couple feet in the air. Its pretty effective on a well-soused GI from Ill.,( I laughed my butt off at him), but doesn't work too well on fast moving cars. I've never been able to look at them as food, but they do provide entertainment at times. I have known people who ate them, but only once, and they didn't want to repeat it.

upping my meds and digging deeper every day!!
Re: Armadillos A Source Of Leprosy #101020
05/02/2011 03:21 PM
05/02/2011 03:21 PM
Slipping the surly bonds of ea...
F
Flight-ER-Doc Offline
Flight-ER-Doc  Offline
F
Slipping the surly bonds of ea...
They don't move too well in barracks with hardwood floors, either. They do scratch the hell out of it, for the poor shmuck that has to buff it out.

I don't know what is 'new' about this report: I'd learned that Armadillos carried and were a reservoir for leprosy many years ago (before med school - before being stationed in Wichita Falls, Tx).

Anyway, live, learn.

Emergency Medicine - saving the world from themselves, one at a time.

"Thou shalt not be a victim, thou shalt not be a perpetrator, but, above all, thou shalt not be a bystander."

I make the ADL soil themselves. And that makes me very happy smile
Re: Armadillos A Source Of Leprosy #101021
05/02/2011 03:27 PM
05/02/2011 03:27 PM
Tulsa
Administrator
Administrator
Tulsa
Originally posted by Flight-ER-Doc:
...I don't know what is 'new' about this report: I'd learned that Armadillos carried and were a reservoir for leprosy many years ago (before med school - before being stationed in Wichita Falls, Tx)....
It was known they carried a strain of leprosy, but it took some DNA sequencing to confirm that this strain was being transmitted to humans. I think.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Re: Armadillos A Source Of Leprosy #101022
05/02/2011 04:10 PM
05/02/2011 04:10 PM
Tyler County, TX
T
Texas Resistance Offline
Texas Resistance  Offline
T
Tyler County, TX
Yes, it was know that armadillos often had leprosy and that humans might catch it from them but before the DNA testing mentioned the ability of humans to catch it from armadillos was not as well proven.

www.TexasMilitia.Info Seek out and join a lawful Militia or form one in your area. If you wish to remain Free you will have to fight for it...because the traitors will give us no choice in the matter--William Cooper
Re: Armadillos A Source Of Leprosy #101023
05/03/2011 01:52 AM
05/03/2011 01:52 AM
North Carolina
S
safetalker Offline
safetalker  Offline
S
North Carolina
Here at Ft Bragg we used to have to conduct a class to try and keep some Yankee city boy from petting the cute little things when we got to Florida for the Annual FTX.
One who didn'y listen picked one up which was in protective mode and put it into his sleeping bag.
That night when he came off shift he opened the bag and reached in and surprised the little dude.
The screams woke me and when I got there his hand was inside an the creature had rolled up again and was chewing.
We hit it with a hammer to stop the chewing and then the Fire extinguisher blasts for a while till it opened and dropped and ran.
The lad lost two fingers and most of the meat and tendons in his hand.
Next class was a simple film of his ordeal taped by another soldier.
Then to add insulting pain to dumb pain he had to get the 21 shots to the gut for Rabbis.
The Seminoles don't eat them, there is no place I have ever seen a family way to cook them.
Their highest use seems to be to keep sleepy drivers awake in North Florida.

Re: Armadillos A Source Of Leprosy #101024
06/03/2011 02:36 PM
06/03/2011 02:36 PM
Tulsa
Administrator
Administrator
Tulsa
I just watched an episode of Dual Survival where Cody (the guy with braids) and the other guy ate an armadillo in the Panamanian jungle. Better them than me. I actually spent some time in Panama back in 1976 (that was probably before most of you were even born!), and I can tell you there are other things to eat. And they actually cleaned and gutted that thing in a stream, so other food was undoubtedly pretty close by.

A friend found a recipe for alligator gar on the internet, and printed it out for me. Um, no thanks. I'm not particularly squeamish, but if I need freakin' tin snips to skin something, I'm not particularly wild about eating it. And some things are just too damn ugly to eat anyway. Case in point, the alligator gar.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Moderated by  airforce, ConSigCor 

©>
©All information posted on this site is the private property of the individual author and AWRM.net and may not be reproduced without permission. © 2001-2020 AWRM.net All Rights Reserved.