03/04/2010 03:23 PM
03/04/2010 03:23 PM
Tulsa
airforce Online content OP
Administrator
airforce  Online Content OP
Administrator
Tulsa
Faced with budget cuts, California and other states are hiking tuition, and riots have broken out at Berkeley and other campuses. More protests are scheduled for tomorrow in response to $17 billion in budget cuts to education in California.

And that's not the only state. Here's a photo from a protest in Washington State. Let's hope they're not English majors.

[Linked Image]

Onward and upward,
airforce

Re: Riots on California College Campuses #150869
03/04/2010 03:36 PM
03/04/2010 03:36 PM
Central Wisconsin
S
Sisu Offline
NCO Contributor
Sisu  Offline
NCO Contributor
S
Central Wisconsin
LOL!!!

I'm totally not into conspiracy theories... BUT I see a lot of FRNs recently printed that would help stimulate and or program all those young minds thirsty for knowledge and programming. Maybe they will just cut them off from the dough long enough to federalize all education...

Think they will burn the "OBSOLETE" books in the street or just take them away to be recycled?

Re: Riots on California College Campuses #150870
03/04/2010 07:01 PM
03/04/2010 07:01 PM
Dallas, TX
L
LouisCipher777 Offline
LouisCipher777  Offline
L
Dallas, TX
I'm sure all these greenie nutters will probably recycle them.

the sense of entitlement these kids have these days does a pretty good job of dashing my hopes for this country.

I weep for the future.

Never explain yourself. Your friends don't need it and your enemies won't believe you anyway.
Re: Riots on California College Campuses #150871
03/05/2010 01:04 AM
03/05/2010 01:04 AM
New York/Vermont
A
APatientMan Offline
APatientMan  Offline
A
New York/Vermont
Like it or not they are exercising free speech and freedom to assemble. Do those rights only apply to those on this forum now? Whether or not you like their message they have the rights and freedoms our Constitution bravely guarantees. Would we rather they did not speak out??? Not sure where the quote came from but: If you don't want public disturbances - stop disturbing the public.

Freedom is that instant between when someone tells you to do something and when you decide how to respond
Re: Riots on California College Campuses #150872
03/05/2010 03:36 AM
03/05/2010 03:36 AM
A 105-11FF Somewhere in the C...
C
coydog Offline
coydog  Offline
C
A 105-11FF Somewhere in the C...
Boo freaking hooo pay for your own school. They have a right to speak out but they are still winny beotches. The sense of entitlement most kids have these days and lack of a firm grip on reality is just freaking disgusting

"State a moral case to a ploughman & a professor. The former will decide it as well, & often better than the latter,
because he has not been led astray by artificial rules."
Re: Riots on California College Campuses #150873
03/05/2010 03:43 AM
03/05/2010 03:43 AM
Central Virginia; VIM
S
SBL Offline
SBL  Offline
S
Central Virginia; VIM
And exactly how many TEA Parties have degenerated into riots?
.........................cricket, cricket......

On equipment: You get what you inspect, not what you expect.
On training: Our drills are bloodless battles so that our battles are bloody drills.
On tactics: Cheating just means you're serious about winning.
Re: Riots on California College Campuses #150874
03/05/2010 10:15 AM
03/05/2010 10:15 AM
New York/Vermont
A
APatientMan Offline
APatientMan  Offline
A
New York/Vermont
Coydog: Agreed! I'd fight to secure their freedoms but I strongly doubt they'd do the same for me.

Freedom is that instant between when someone tells you to do something and when you decide how to respond
Re: Riots on California College Campuses #150875
03/05/2010 01:21 PM
03/05/2010 01:21 PM
Tulsa
Administrator
Administrator
Tulsa
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee protest turns violent.

A tuition protest at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee turned violent.

A university spokesman says at least 16 people were detained by campus and city police Thursday.

He says a crowd of about 125 students gathered outside an administrative building to deliver petitions to the chancellor.

The crowd reportedly rushed the building, and when police turned them away some of the protesters started throwing punches and tossing chunks of ice.

"I was pepper-sprayed in my mouth. My throat still hurts, and other people were hurt pretty badly as well," one of those arrested, Rachel Mattson, said.

"The people that got arrested go arrested for violations of the law. That's the bottom line. We reacted to their behavior. It's not something we wanted to happen, but they violated the law by doing what they did; it was no longer a peaceful protest," UWM Police Chief Mike Marzion said.

The protest was part of a national Day of Action, challenging lawmakers in each state to stop cutting funding from education.
Onward and upward,
airforce

Re: Riots on California College Campuses #150876
03/05/2010 01:44 PM
03/05/2010 01:44 PM
Dallas, TX
L
LouisCipher777 Offline
LouisCipher777  Offline
L
Dallas, TX
these guys are fucking communists. they are working with the SEIU and other statist flat earthers. These kids are being used at every level, and being indoctrinated.

the think that collage, like everything else in life, should be free because they are entitled to it.

read this if you don't believe me.

http://www.studentsforademocraticsociety.org/

Never explain yourself. Your friends don't need it and your enemies won't believe you anyway.
Re: Riots on California College Campuses #150877
03/05/2010 03:28 PM
03/05/2010 03:28 PM
Tulsa
Administrator
Administrator
Tulsa
You haven't seen anything yet. What do you think is going to happen when the teachers and school administrators--and all other state employees--find out their pensions are worthless?

California, for all intents and purposes, is bankrupt, and several other states are not that far behind. Things could get ugly pretty quickly.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Re: Riots on California College Campuses #150878
03/05/2010 03:56 PM
03/05/2010 03:56 PM
East of the Pacific
fal3 Offline
fal3  Offline
East of the Pacific
Let all the public institutions shut down ! The teachers need to get other jobs, and the kids need to realize that "higher education" (i.e., government propaganda centers) is not the only passport to success.

Who taught them that the world owed them an education, anyway ? The very "profession" that is being picketed and challenged. Sure, these kids are dumb. But, I have to suggest that the people they are upset with are the ones who made them that way.

Let these young people get good and angry at the imbeciles who have taken their money, and want ever more, but can't give a good accounting of what they did--even in the math departments.

This is one great opportunity to start all over again with teachers who are dedicated to teach the truth. As it stands now, we have second generation hippies as instructors who are so brain dead that they can't see themselves as lemmings leading the charge over the cliff of totalitarianism.

----------------------------------
"Take heed: watch and pray, for ye know not when the time is." -- Mark 13:33.
Re: Riots on California College Campuses #150879
03/05/2010 04:14 PM
03/05/2010 04:14 PM
Slipping the surly bonds of ea...
F
Flight-ER-Doc Offline
Flight-ER-Doc  Offline
F
Slipping the surly bonds of ea...
Originally posted by APatientMan:
Like it or not they are exercising free speech and freedom to assemble. Do those rights only apply to those on this forum now? Whether or not you like their message they have the rights and freedoms our Constitution bravely guarantees. Would we rather they did not speak out??? Not sure where the quote came from but: If you don't want public disturbances - stop disturbing the public.
They have a right to free speech, no doubt about it. They can even parade around with grammatically incorrect signs, that are also misspelled. And they're students at what is supposed to be one of the finest Universities in the United States, if not the world.

What they don't have a right to is an education at the taxpayers expense. Nor do they have a right to damage state property, or interfere with other, sane, peaceable students in taking advantage of that nearly free education, that the taxpayers of California see fit to invest them with.

There are two 'tribes' of students at Berkeley, always (since the 1960's) have been. The professional agitator/students (like the woman who is the ringleader of this demonstration, 5 years into an undergraduate 'womans studies' degree and no end in sight; and the serious students who were in the midst of midterm exams in serious topics like mathematics, real sciences, engineering.

If they don't like the terms of the free ride they get, then boo-fucking-hoo. They can get their asses out of their 'womans studies' departments, get a real job (whatever they're qualified for, but all the Micky-D jobs are already taken by illegals) and make do with what they can do.

I had to put up with toilet stains like these demonstrators when I was in my undergraduate degree (UCLA, the sister school to Berkeley), and they didn't contribute to my educational experience one bit...BTW, I also had a full time job paying everything the California taxpayers didn't cover in books, tuition and living expenses. I managed to finish a (usually) 5 year, often 6 year, undergraduate engineering degree with a minor in mathematics in 4 years.

'Womans studies'...give me a damned break.

Emergency Medicine - saving the world from themselves, one at a time.

"Thou shalt not be a victim, thou shalt not be a perpetrator, but, above all, thou shalt not be a bystander."

I make the ADL soil themselves. And that makes me very happy smile
Re: Riots on California College Campuses #150880
03/05/2010 11:03 PM
03/05/2010 11:03 PM
New York/Vermont
A
APatientMan Offline
APatientMan  Offline
A
New York/Vermont
I just want to be clear about my stand here: Our personal opinions should not ever allow the stifling of free speech or any other Constitutional right. Speak your mind and speak very loudly for what you believe in!!
I think we should be very careful about using tactics like calling speakers we don't agree with "agitators" and ones we do agree with "sane" and "peaceable".
I think it's great when we see a segement (an important one) of our society become disillusioned with the status quo. It, at the very least, provides the basis for a discussion like the one we are having here. It allows the opportunity for both good and bad ideas to be seen in the light of day.
I puy myself through college too. I did it while working 50 hrs/week and raising a family. If I mispelled any words here, I apologize. I hope the message is still seen as valid and serious.

Re: Riots on California College Campuses #150881
03/06/2010 01:44 AM
03/06/2010 01:44 AM
Central Wisconsin
S
Sisu Offline
NCO Contributor
Sisu  Offline
NCO Contributor
S
Central Wisconsin
You can hardly agree they were rioting but I wasn't there. Police showing up with riot gear at a peaceful assembly and using weapons or threat of use of force to disburse a crowd is inciting a riot afaiac. Our tax dollars have been subsidizing schools for a long time. Whether right or wrong I don't care. They seem to operate just like any other corporation sucking on the government tit. They will have to be more efficient and realize the students are their customers and tighten up the ship or perish.

Re: Riots on California College Campuses #150882
03/19/2010 04:13 AM
03/19/2010 04:13 AM
oklahoma
J
jim777 Offline
jim777  Offline
J
oklahoma
Originally posted by Sisu:
You can hardly agree they were rioting but I wasn't there. Police showing up with riot gear at a peaceful assembly and using weapons or threat of use of force to disburse a crowd is inciting a riot afaiac. Our tax dollars have been subsidizing schools for a long time. Whether right or wrong I don't care. They seem to operate just like any other corporation sucking on the government tit. They will have to be more efficient and realize the students are their customers and tighten up the ship or perish.
Let them perish eek If we learn anything from hitory student riots usually dissolve into violence with or without police help. (Remember Kent State?) The taxpayers have no reponsibility in putting these kids through college. That responsibilty belongs to their parents. But by the looks of their signs they need to go back to jr high and learn remedial english.

The Lord also will be a refuge for the oppressed, a refuge in times of trouble.-Psalm 9:9
Re: Riots on California College Campuses #150883
03/19/2010 02:52 PM
03/19/2010 02:52 PM
Basement of the Alamo
R
Rackman Offline
NCO Contributor
Rackman  Offline
NCO Contributor
R
Basement of the Alamo
Where is it in the Constitution that "WE THE PEOPLE" are obligated to furnish an education to anyone? The Public School System (K-12 and College level) was instituted as an indoctrination program based on the Prussian model. We all should care that our money is being wasted. It's time to privatize our school system. It was good enough for the Founding Fathers. And to APatientMan; everyone on this forum should be an agitator. It's not a negative term. We are agitating for are Constitutional rights. The students protesting are not against the status quo they are demonstrating for it, that's the problem.

"Am fear nach gheidh na h-airm 'nam na sith, Cha bhi iad aige 'n am a chogaidli." - Gaelic Proverb ("Who keeps not his arms in times of peace, Will have no arms in times of war.")
Re: Riots on California College Campuses #150884
03/19/2010 03:06 PM
03/19/2010 03:06 PM
Central Wisconsin
S
Sisu Offline
NCO Contributor
Sisu  Offline
NCO Contributor
S
Central Wisconsin
people are addicted to the handouts like crack. It's not just education but social security, medicare, guaranteed home loans, and welfare... It is the current state. Do we ween them off or cut them off?

Re: Riots on California College Campuses #150885
03/20/2010 10:12 AM
03/20/2010 10:12 AM
Tyler county,Texas
B
backwoodzwarrior Offline
backwoodzwarrior  Offline
B
Tyler county,Texas
I have to agree with rackman,A privatized education system is the way to go.You either give your student an excellent education or you go out of business,as a student paying my own way through college those"riots"disgust me,Why the hell cant they get a job or go back to class? they were smart enough to get into berkely (btw my cousin went there)they should be able to at least get a part time job somewhere for a decent wage!!

Bring on the Horsemen of the Apocalypse,I shall eat their horses,and they will have to spread death slowly, in stolen go-carts.
Re: Riots on California College Campuses #150886
03/20/2010 03:34 PM
03/20/2010 03:34 PM
DEACTIVATED
P
ParaSkS-DEACTIVATED Offline
ParaSkS-DEACTIVATED  Offline
P
DEACTIVATED
I agree. Being the solid capitalist I am

It doesn't matter how you start something, or how you do in the middle. It matters how you finish it
Paramilitary SKS

©>
©All information posted on this site is the private property of the individual author and AWRM.net and may not be reproduced without permission. © 2001-2020 AWRM.net All Rights Reserved.