11/24/2014 04:03 AM
11/24/2014 04:03 AM
Tulsa
airforce Online content OP
Administrator
airforce  Online Content OP
Administrator
Tulsa
It looks like ISIS has claimed another victim.

This morning's breaking news is that Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel has resigned. Obama has already fired most of the generals who worked for him, so it isn't all that surprising that Hagel met the same fate.

This is what happens when the White House decides how to fight wars, rather than the people who actually have experience fighting them. Those of us who fought in Vietnam are pretty familiar with the problem.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Re: Chuck Hagel Resigns #158061
11/24/2014 04:29 AM
11/24/2014 04:29 AM
Trapped in Rhode Island
L
Lord Vader Offline
Lord Vader  Offline
L
Trapped in Rhode Island
Friend
Maybe it would be a good idea if like some Native American Tribes we had a Chief and a War Chief who was responsible for fighting Wars.

I have believed for a long time that having the President also being the Commander in Chief is kind of stupid unless the President is like Eisenhower.

Operational Control of Fighting a War should be done by, as you stated,People who have actually experience fighting them.

VINCE AUT MORIRE (Conquer or Die)
Re: Chuck Hagel Resigns #158062
11/24/2014 05:24 AM
11/24/2014 05:24 AM
Tulsa
Administrator
Administrator
Tulsa
When I get elected President, the first thing I'm going to do after I've signed a few hundred thousand pardons (and assuming I haven't been impeached by then), is to rename the Department of Defense back to what it really is, the War Department. The Secretary of Defense will become the Secretary of War. Let's call it what it is.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Re: Chuck Hagel Resigns #158063
11/24/2014 04:32 PM
11/24/2014 04:32 PM
Philistine Occupied CA
I
Imagrunt Offline
Imagrunt  Offline

I
Philistine Occupied CA
Cross-eyed jamming of U.S. Navy Destroyer Aegis Missile Systems may have played a contributing role to the skapegoating of Hagel.

We can't have Barry taking responsibility for Putin's retaliatory reactions to CINC du jur's "tactics" in the Ukraine.

I would gladly lay aside the use of arms and settle matters by negotiation, but unless the whole will, the matter ends, and I take up my battle rifle, and thank God that He has put it within my grasp.

Audit Fort Knox!
Re: Chuck Hagel Resigns #158064
11/24/2014 05:03 PM
11/24/2014 05:03 PM
Tulsa
Administrator
Administrator
Tulsa
Maybe we should start laying odds on who the next one to go will be. I've got a couple bucks on John Kerry.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Re: Chuck Hagel Resigns #158065
11/25/2014 03:38 PM
11/25/2014 03:38 PM
OH.
D Offline
D  Offline
OH.
I lay odds on Command Sgt. Maj. Teresa King.

D
Re: Chuck Hagel Resigns #158066
11/26/2014 08:20 AM
11/26/2014 08:20 AM
Tulsa
Administrator
Administrator
Tulsa
It looks like the Obama administration is having a little trouble finding someone who wants Hagel's job. Michele Fluornoy has turned down the job , and Democratic Sen. Jack Reed - a former Army Ranger - has also taken himself out of the running. Ashton carter, the former assistant secretary of defense, is now reported to still be a possibility.

Both of Obama's former defense secretaries, Leon Panetta and Bob Gates, have written memoirs that were critical of the Obama administration's meddling and interference.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Re: Chuck Hagel Resigns #158067
11/27/2014 02:18 PM
11/27/2014 02:18 PM
East of the Pacific
fal3 Offline
fal3  Offline
East of the Pacific
Yeah, I guess it puts pressure on a Sec'y of War when you have to pretend like you are doing something good for the folks back home, but give a clear signal to ISIS and their kind that you really don't want to hurt them too bad. Maybe Big O needs to check out the names in the Hollywood actors guild.

----------------------------------
"Take heed: watch and pray, for ye know not when the time is." -- Mark 13:33.
Re: Chuck Hagel Resigns #158068
12/02/2014 03:47 AM
12/02/2014 03:47 AM
Tulsa
Administrator
Administrator
Tulsa
Barring any last-minute surprises, it looks like Ashton Carter will be the new Secretary of defense . Carter had preciously been the Deputy Secretary of defense under both Hagel and Leon Panetta.

...Carter, who served as Deputy Defense Secretary under both Leon Panetta and Hagel, would bring a wide range of experience to a department confronting multiple crises in the Middle East and preparing to enter a new phase in Afghanistan as the NATO combat mission ends.

Carter's ability to hit the ground running from his past experience at the Pentagon, in addition to the respect many senior military leaders have for him are seen as major benefits to winning confirmation should Obama nominate him.

"His career has sort of prepared him perfectly for this kind of a moment," says Michael O'Hanlon, a defense industry analyst at the Brookings Institution.

In addition to a broad understanding of the Pentagon bureaucracy, Carter is seen as a master of managing large budgets, a premium in the present era of continued belt tightening on Capitol Hill, as well as an expert on weapons acquisitions.

He also has a firm grasp on understanding the trends and technology of warfare in the future.

"On paper and in terms of his resume and preparation you probably couldn't do much better," O'Hanlon said.

But Carter does lack certain experience shared by Hagel, Panetta had and many other secretaries - first--hand military experience. Carter has extensive experience at the Pentagon and in academia, but he was never actually in the military....
I don't know about you guys, but that last paragraph would have been a deal-breaker for me.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Re: Chuck Hagel Resigns #158069
12/05/2014 05:51 AM
12/05/2014 05:51 AM
Tulsa
Administrator
Administrator
Tulsa
As expected, President Obama chose Ashton Carter to be the new Secretary of Defense , largely because no one else wanted the job. Carter favors a larger Defense budget, and possible military action in Iran. What a shock.

...Republicans, who will begin control of the Senate in January, generally praised the nominee, as did Democrats.

Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., the incoming chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, called Carter "highly competent," but questioned how much influence he would have over "the tight circle around the president who apparently control the entire strategic decision-making process."

Upcoming hearings "will provide a valuable opportunity to fully ventilate all of issues around this administration's feckless foreign policy, and its grave consequences for the safety and security of our nation," McCain said.

Sen. Jack Reed, D-R.I., a member of the Senate Armed Services Committee, which will hold hearings on Carter's nomination, said "his command of national security policy and his commitment to our men and women in uniform will serve him well as our next Secretary of Defense." (...)
Onward and upward,
aiforce

©>
©All information posted on this site is the private property of the individual author and AWRM.net and may not be reproduced without permission. © 2001-2020 AWRM.net All Rights Reserved.