A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC
ConSigCor Online content OP
ConSigCor  Online Content OP
A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC
Justice Department Studying ‘Far-Right’ Social Media Use

$585,719 study to combat violent extremism

BY: Elizabeth Harrington Follow @LizWFB
June 1, 2015 5:00 am

The Department of Justice is concentrating on “far-right” groups in a new study of social media usage aimed at combatting violent extremism.

The Justice Department’s National Institute of Justice (NIJ) awarded Michigan State University $585,719 for the study, which was praised by Eric Holder, the former attorney general, earlier this year.

“There is currently limited knowledge of the role of technology and computer mediated communications (CMCs), such as Facebook and Twitter, in the dissemination of messages that promote extremist agendas and radicalize individuals to violence,” according to the NIJ grant. “The proposed study will address this gap through a series of qualitative and quantitative analyses of posts from various forms of CMC used by members of both the far-right and Islamic extremist movements.”

The study draws more upon right-wing forums than upon the corners of the web inhabited by Islamist extremists.

“We will collect posts made in four active forums used by members of the far-right and three from the Islamic Extremist community, as well as posts made in Facebook, LiveJournal, Twitter, YouTube, and Pastebin accounts used by members of each movement,” the grant said.

“The findings will be used to document both the prevalence and variation in the ideological content of posts from members of each movement,” the grant continued. “In addition, we will assess the value of these messages in the social status of the individual posting the message and the function of radical messages in the larger on-line identity of participants in extremist communities generally.”

The project will also “identify the hidden networks of individuals who engage in extremist movements based on geographic location and ideological similarities.”

The results will be used for a public webinar, and for presentations for counterterrorism experts in the United States.

Holder highlighted the study in remarks this February at the White House Summit on Countering Violent Extremism, as an example of the new methods the Justice Department is using to combat terrorist threats.

Holder said the study will “help us develop more effective techniques and partnerships for counter-messaging.”

While the grant does not name the “far-right” groups that would be examined, other federal agencies have devoted their energy to the sovereign citizen movement.

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) released a report on the movement, whose members believe that U.S. laws do not apply to them, just as the White House held its summit on violent extremism. The administration did not use the phrase “Islamist extremism” at the summit.

DHS stirred controversy in 2009 when it issued a report on right-wing extremism, which included veterans returning from combat as a potential terrorist threat.

The Justice Department and Michigan State University did not return requests for comment by press time.

"The time for war has not yet come, but it will come and that soon, and when it does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the scabbard." Gen. T.J. Jackson, March 1861
Re: Justice Department Studying ‘Far-Right’ Social Media Use #158549
06/11/2015 01:41 PM
06/11/2015 01:41 PM
Western States
Breacher Offline
Breacher  Offline
Western States
They have maintained lurkers and trolls on Stormfront since it started.

Life liberty, and the pursuit of those who threaten them.

Trump: not the president America needs, but the president America deserves.
Re: Justice Department Studying ‘Far-Right’ Social Media Use #158550
06/11/2015 05:29 PM
06/11/2015 05:29 PM
Tulsa
airforce Online content
Administrator
airforce  Online Content
Administrator
Tulsa
Years ago, I was helping to raise money for a member of AWRM who had been arrested on gun charges. I posted a letter I received from him here, and on a little Oklahoma libertarian website that had maybe half a dozen members who occasionally posted. In the letter, he said that when he got out of prison he wanted to start a website of his own, and be "bigger, badder, and better than ever."

Well, the prosecutor took that phrase out of context at his sentencing hearing. I was horrified. But I was more dumbfounded because the prosecutor never mentioned AWRM at all, saying only that I had posted the letter on that little libertarian discussion group.

Frankly, I don't see the big deal about the government saying they're doing this now, when they've already been doing it for years. The only thing I see different about it, is that the government is finally acknowledging it.

Oh, and you can't blame Obama for it entirely. All this happened to Falsarge and I when Bush was president.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Re: Justice Department Studying ‘Far-Right’ Social Media Use #158551
06/13/2015 07:07 PM
06/13/2015 07:07 PM
Western States
Breacher Offline
Breacher  Offline
Western States
At the time we had a fair amount of government people lurking and sympathetic to the point that prosecutor would have some serous concerns about his personal well being to name this website as a target.

When I was being set up to get burned, the "advice" of my "new friends" was to separate myself from AWRM, just run with them, "leave that internet stuff alone for a while".

During that time period, I grew mighty suspicious, but there were promises of "great connections with the contractor world" although I was still doing the gun show circuit, and from time to time would hang out with John Trochthman for dinner. We talked, in part about my suspicions and his. What he figured out and seems true, is that right before the government decides to do you in, they work to isolate you, and once you have "disappeared" in the eyes of most people, that's when they finally snuff you or drive you to suicide by making life untenable, throwing one disaster after another at you in the COINTELPRO style.

That's why when the government was whole hog against me after prison, I came back discreetly at first, then figured it would not matter too much, but the more I got back here, the more cautious they got. Once I started posting names of people screwing with me here and at assaultweb, they backed off a fair amount.

The thing is at the time, they really had done their thing, the statutory sentence for my stuff was served, and they were trying to come up with ways to screw me, but keep it out of a courtroom. That's when I got a bit louder about a few things online, especially when I got more details on the Koernke case and the false bank robbery setup because something similar was tried on me in Eugene Oregon when I was on the tail end of my prison sentence.

I also went back to SOCNET for a while, and what a moderator did was edit my posts then argue against me in monologue after disabling my ability to post, like he was narrating what I would say, and there was my account posting for maybe two or three posts, then banned.

Thats among the reasons I have a real problem with the "specops community" and why nowdays, they don't show up here talking SF pedigree like it is getting them anywhere. They pull that shit, I call them out, immediately. Just like I called out those human rights abusers in the prison, and of course the piled on ten to one like the bitches they are, and AFTER I was beat up, want to talk one on one. That's like, with their backup guys there...badge guy to no badge guy.

Now with all that shit under the bridge, by the time things happened at the Bundy Ranch, the Marine snipers had zero problem dialing in on the former SF pricks who were working for the BLM. Those people know more than I do who was in New Orleans in 2005 and what they did.

They are hoping that AWRM and the half dozen or so members we have left will just shut the lights out and go our separate ways to die with a whimper the way the inner circle of Daniel Shays did.

Re: Justice Department Studying ‘Far-Right’ Social Media Use #158552
06/14/2015 02:30 AM
06/14/2015 02:30 AM
South-central Colorado
D
Ducttape Offline
Ducttape  Offline
D
South-central Colorado
MY family and I have been hammered into the ground over the years due to my activity in our (3%,militia,patriot)little community. Being harassed by L.E.O.'S, FEDs, we've lost a lot of jobs, being told "I just gotta let you go, I can't tell you why." just to be told latter that they were paid a visit by someone and that was what they were told to do.
Social Services constantly checking up at least once a week for years due to anonymous tips.With me being told that maybe I should just get with the program and then things wouldn't be so tough. Wow, I have no idea how many times I heard that one from someone affiliated with the government be it school principles to congress critters.

That is why I stopped posting for a long time anywhere, it was taking a major toll on my already bad health,family and marriage.
That is why I tell people that when the balloon goes up all of these gov. lackeys families that have benefited from those gov. positions and great paychecks,bonuses and insurance paid by us are fair game just like ours are to them. OOHHH, that doesn't go over well at all.....TO DAMN BAD !

Our nation will never return to anything that we can remember, it can't. With this new totally screwed up gimme gimme freebee generation coming up behind us and the baby-boom generation retiring and wanting to keep all that they have and not give anything up, throw in a Stalinist regime destroying every institution that we have and hold dear just to rot and pervert this country from within so as to hopefully rebuild it after it implodes due to their diseased ideals and greed for money and power. Are we truly surprised that "WE", the defenders of The Constitution, are their main target ?

I'm at the point of saying let Babylon burn ! Let America fragment, let it all just go down the tubes, because when America goes,the rest of the world is gonna go. Then destroy all of those that got us there,ALL 0F THEM, and those of us that are left draw a hard line and rebuild our country, one county at a time wiping out any remnants of the past corruption until we finally have our nation back, and to hell with the rest of the world !

Or not....

I'm just a ghost in the machine that will not stop rattling chains.

My Daddy is like duct tape, he can fix almost anything.

A quote from my youngest daughter at 4yrs old, many years ago.
Re: Justice Department Studying ‘Far-Right’ Social Media Use #158553
06/14/2015 01:19 PM
06/14/2015 01:19 PM
D 057 Btn 47 FF
T
The Greywolf Offline
The Greywolf  Offline
T
D 057 Btn 47 FF
Well I have to say..

I went UG for a while, started when my son was killed in a suspicious house fire.. That of course took a toll on my health..

Then there was the Problem, I was running with several militia guys who were former cops.. I still to this day don't know exactly what their plan was.. But they damn near suckered me..

I had the harassment.. Some remember the pictures I posted of the cops surrounding my land.. Taking pictures and harassing folks coming to my place..

I know many here, dislike some of the biker clubs and I understand.. But when I needed them they were supporting me a lot.. Along with some of my trusted militia brothers..

I have been lucky, unlike Breacher and some others, I never ended up in prison.. But That "accidental" fire that killed my son, took my best friend..

I still have those who come around and some how always seem to steer the conversation to my beliefs and activities.. You know I figure no matter what their plans are.. I am on the list to disappear.

I just over the last few months has this county code enforcer come by " just to check things out", but as soon as he could seem to steer the conversation, (using actual names of people I train with or know in the militia and biker community) he steered it to how he knew all these guys too..

I only said.. Then how come I don't know you?"

I refuse to surrender, I refuse to give in and I say AWRM will always be here.. Whether it is a dozen or a million.. As long as I breath I'll fight..

I believe in absolute Freedom, as little interference from any government as possible...And I'll fight any man trying to take that away from me.

Jimmy Greywolf
Re: Justice Department Studying ‘Far-Right’ Social Media Use #158554
06/14/2015 01:57 PM
06/14/2015 01:57 PM
washington
mak9030mag Offline
mak9030mag  Offline
washington
Funny how those who work for the system always come around or just show up. And in a round about way let you know you are known.
A lot of true patriots get harassed or down right fucked with.
When this happens know then and there you are a true patriot of our country.
Everyone that this happens to gets discuridged. It is ok to fall back regroup and learn from it.
But never give up and give the treasonous basturds the satisfaction.

Mak
Re: Justice Department Studying ‘Far-Right’ Social Media Use #158555
06/14/2015 02:55 PM
06/14/2015 02:55 PM
Western States
Breacher Offline
Breacher  Offline
Western States
Half the time I get fucked with, its not even the government initiating it, but some criminal opportunist who figures they have a victim who won't call the police, or they can gain favor with the government by doing harm to me.

Thing is right now, .gov has bigger problems to worry about. I think we can duck back and not get screwed with by them, but some criminal opportunists who want to take advantage of us being spread out and weak, that's getting to be a real problem in the NW.

Re: Justice Department Studying ‘Far-Right’ Social Media Use #158556
06/14/2015 04:39 PM
06/14/2015 04:39 PM
Tulsa
airforce Online content
Administrator
airforce  Online Content
Administrator
Tulsa
If anyone doubts my Falsarge story, I just found the original article .

...One of the reasons given for the long sentence was a letter Hertzog sent from prison to a person who posted it on the Web site for the Libertarian Party of Oklahoma. The letter said he would come out of prison "bigger, badder and better" than when he went in....
That little website had about half a dozen people who regularly posted, and half of them were little old ladies in their 60's. Seriously, how could they have known about it, unless they were following me around the internet?

But if the government thought this would deter anyone from the militia, they were sadly mistaken. Those little old ladies were outraged that the government was spying on them, as well as me. A couple days after the story came out, one of the ladies announced she had just purchased an AR-15, and asked me if I would teach her how to shoot it.

I was happy to oblige.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Re: Justice Department Studying ‘Far-Right’ Social Media Use #158557
06/14/2015 05:03 PM
06/14/2015 05:03 PM
washington
mak9030mag Offline
mak9030mag  Offline
washington
Yes about opportunist. They always seem to think they can get browny points.
Personaly when thoughs type pop up and you get that felling they ain't what the say they are. Fuck with them. Turn the table on them and there masters and get them to waste time and money.
Through a stone in a pond and see what the ripples produce.
Just be careful not to through to big of a stone.

Mak

©>
©All information posted on this site is the private property of the individual author and AWRM.net and may not be reproduced without permission. © 2001-2020 AWRM.net All Rights Reserved.