Print Thread
CQB/Night ops/Vehicle Mobility Ops: a review #173553
07/16/2020 12:38 PM
07/16/2020 12:38 PM
N.E. Wa.
Kelldor42 Offline OP
Kelldor42  Offline OP
N.E. Wa.
I had the pleasure of attending the 4 night long CQB/Night ops/Vehicle Mobility Ops course by Combat Studies Group.

https://combatstudiesgroup.blogspot...p;utm_campaign=Feed:+CombatStudiesGroup+

Night 1: Live fire, range, fundamentals:
Emphasis on the advantages of high gun vs the risks of low gun when in close proximity to your team. Also covered retracted gun, extended gun, and depressed gun positions. Drilled from these positions and did transition drills as well. We compressed tighter and tighter on the firing line to get us used to safe weapons manipulations in tight next to each other. We then broke out our helmets, nods, and IR lasers shot at varying distances. Because we were at a range with neighbors we couldn't shoot in the dark, had to keep caps on our nods and do the best could at dusk. I had problems picking up my dot from the IR laser at 25yds in these conditions, but was able to at 15yds.

Night 2: CQB, shoot house:
We had presentations explaining different concepts and methods. Zone clearing vs. Threat clearing. Threat appeared to have more benefits, adaptive, not linear, don"t get sucked into your corner and miss the threat. How to move, methods of entry, heavy emphasis on safety - not muzzling your buddy. We used UTM training munitions - a paint bullet fired from your own weapon using a UTM BCG. We did 2 man teams and went through the shoot house picking off targets, slicing the pie at doors, corners, and windows. Shoot/no shoot. Rescuing an asset, plating the asset as you pass doors, windows, or hallways.

Night 3: CQB, shoot house, w/ NODS/IR:
More presentations, equipment, breaching, and communication. Then we ran exercises like the previous night, but with lights off and using our night vision and IR devices. A lot more shoot vs. no shoot. Hard to tell if that is a remote, hot dog, knife, of gun the target is holding. Always stay employed, find a job, "Checking 6", " Door Left", telling the asset upon recovery, "Link to me. Grab my belt". Personally I thought I showed improvement. The training was sinking in and I was syncing well with my buddy, whom I have seen several times at previous CSG and FO classes.

Night 4: Tactical Vehicle/Mobility Ops:
This was by far the most difficult portion of the training. Live fire on the range, bullets flying, everyone screaming " MOVE!", "Moving!", smoke, it all combined to induce much needed stress into the training environment. During life fire we walked, not run, heavy emphasis on safety - staying in our lanes, knowing which way we need to go to not walk in front of friendly fire. More than once I was confused. This was the last night and I was pretty tired by then. Didn't help that I had a baby screaming in the hotel room next to me. The was a lot of " Vehicle disabled. Threat left. Bail right. MOVE! MOVE!". We also covered cross loading vehicles where one is disabled and we have to get everyone out in the functioning vehicle. I learned a lot, but this is the area I need the most practice. I would get stuck, not move unless I heard my name!

Afterthoughts:
I can't say enough about the quality and value of the training by K@CSG. This was the 7th class I have taken from him. This course was a hybrid class put together from 3 of his other classes. I enjoyed it a lot, but also, I am moral and realistic enough to pray I never need it. I came away feeling like if I'm ever in a vehicle ambush, I might live, maybe, better chances of living now than I had a week ago, that's for sure. If I ever had to go rescue one of my family or friends from a real bad situation, if I had a buddy with parity of training I think my chances would be a lot better than some pissed off drunk asshole kicking some door down in a fit of rage only to get pasted be cause they couldn't slow down and think through the problem.

I think this is the best way I can put it: The training I have received by Combat Studies Group, and also Forward Observer, have helped me to become the best version of myself. It's not just about learning cool shit from former military and Intel operators and analysts. When you establish a pattern of learning, whatever it is you want to learn, you grow as a person, and CSG has helped me grow. Thx K.

Last edited by Kelldor42; 07/18/2020 10:05 AM. Reason: Typo

https://mtc.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/BA...sionId=4t5.0tXamTaMhBZwfXljf3ZmZOMXKupj "Honestly, um, there are things more important than your life, and freedom is one of them."
Re: CQB/Night ops/Vehicle Mobility Ops: a review [Re: Kelldor42] #173563
07/17/2020 05:04 PM
07/17/2020 05:04 PM
Tennessee
Hawk45 Offline
Moderator Officer Contributor
Hawk45  Offline
Moderator Officer Contributor
Tennessee
Any good live fire training with NODS and IR lasers is GOOD to have! Most do not even know how their nods work, 'IF' they even have them!

I just gave my PVS-14's to my son as he is used to running and gunning with them. Me I like the two eye approach with my old PVS-7s!

Re: CQB/Night ops/Vehicle Mobility Ops: a review [Re: Hawk45] #173566
07/17/2020 05:16 PM
07/17/2020 05:16 PM
Tulsa
airforce Online content
Administrator
airforce  Online Content
Administrator
Tulsa
Originally Posted by Hawk45
...Me I like the two eye approach with my old PVS-7s!

Us old farts think alike.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Last edited by airforce; 07/17/2020 05:16 PM.
Re: CQB/Night ops/Vehicle Mobility Ops: a review [Re: Kelldor42] #173570
07/18/2020 10:14 AM
07/18/2020 10:14 AM
N.E. Wa.
Kelldor42 Offline OP
Kelldor42  Offline OP
N.E. Wa.
1 guy had a PVS-7. K also said something to the extent that if you can afford it go for it, but 2 PVS-14's with the T swivel bracket is best cause you have more options and can always lend 1 to a buddy if need. I have heard others say that if you have NVD's on both eyes that if a flash goes off it momentarily takes out both eyes. K refuted this argument pointing out the gated/gating features will protect your vision in those circumstances.

https://mtc.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/BA...sionId=4t5.0tXamTaMhBZwfXljf3ZmZOMXKupj "Honestly, um, there are things more important than your life, and freedom is one of them."

©>
©All information posted on this site is the private property of the individual author and AWRM.net and may not be reproduced without permission. © 2001-2020 AWRM.net All Rights Reserved.