01/10/2010 07:02 AM
01/10/2010 07:02 AM
West Virginia
A
Asher Offline OP
Asher  Offline OP
A
West Virginia
Ok I talked about this in another thread so here goes. How do you deal with supply logistics in the field? What redundency measures come into play here?

Here is my example;
Concerning food each person in my unit is required to have a minimum of 1 year stock, I also have people whose job is growing & storing food stuffs for my unit in general as a reserve component directly. I have enough too make 30 to 40 poormans MREs now; 4 packs of Maruchan Ramen & chilli made with deer meat & beans (roughly 2400 calries) per MRE so one MRE a day per man.

For batteries I use rechargables with solar panels for noise & light discipline to keep my radios & lap tops working. I went with solar because ita silent, has no IR signature & doesn't require fuel.

For vehicles I use desiel & that gives me bio desiel as a possible supply back up.

For ammo I have some cached & plan to scavange as well. I have someone to reload but reloading can only go so far without a supply of brass & primers.

So who else is looking at redundency?

Re: Redundency: Resupplying without supply lines #100325
01/10/2010 07:47 AM
01/10/2010 07:47 AM
Slipping the surly bonds of ea...
F
Flight-ER-Doc Offline
Flight-ER-Doc  Offline
F
Slipping the surly bonds of ea...
What you are describing is not 'redundancy', it is supply (one component of logistics).

Redundancy is having several (more than one) method of accomplishing a goal or task - for example, I have redundant methods of heating my home, including a propane furnace, coal and wood (with wood cut and split, and trees available for the cutting) for the wood burning stoves and fireplaces, electric space heaters and if it came down to it, propane camping space heaters, along with portable propane bottles. 5 levels of redundancy to heat the house.

The closest you've described to redundancy is having the possibility of using biodiesel - but the way you phrased it you don't have that. It's not hard to make but it's not something where you just drive up to a cornstalk and fill up the truck. Or perhaps the people who are responsible for growing more food - but are they able to? They have the seed and chemicals needed? Space to store it? A method to distribute it? And most importantly, the will to do it all?

The essence of redundancy is "two is one, and one is none". http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/redundancy

As far as individuals preparations, thats probably something best not discussed on the web.

Emergency Medicine - saving the world from themselves, one at a time.

"Thou shalt not be a victim, thou shalt not be a perpetrator, but, above all, thou shalt not be a bystander."

I make the ADL soil themselves. And that makes me very happy smile
Re: Redundency: Resupplying without supply lines #100326
01/10/2010 12:26 PM
01/10/2010 12:26 PM
West Virginia
A
Asher Offline OP
Asher  Offline OP
A
West Virginia
Redundency is being able to keep the supplies coming. You can call it what you want, I'm not going to argue simantics. I will tell you how I see it; redundency is not having extra stuff (2 is 1 & 1 is none) but being able to create, fabricate &/or get additional stuff without needing someone to create, fabricate &/or get additional stuff.

Take the garden as an example; it requires seeds, dark/nuetriant rich soil, water & pesticides. That means you either need allot of supplies & a new flow of supplies from a third party or you can reproduct everything you need yourself.

Seeds: Use the seeds from the origional crop. No hybreds.
Rich Soil: Nuetriants can be replaced with ashs & compost from seasonal crops.
Water: Rainwater storage for drouts & irrigation.
Pesticides: Can be made with certain plants (like tobacco) grown with the crops & crushed strained into a liquid pesticide that can be fed to the plants & sprayed over them.

To me supply is what you have & redudency is what you have to replace the supplies when the origional supplies are gone.

Moderated by  airforce, ConSigCor 

©>
©All information posted on this site is the private property of the individual author and AWRM.net and may not be reproduced without permission. © 2001-2020 AWRM.net All Rights Reserved.