Print Thread
2 cents on the long haul #100488
02/15/2010 11:36 AM
02/15/2010 11:36 AM
washington
mak9030mag Offline OP
mak9030mag  Offline OP
washington
If found in a situation where one was forced to take arms against tyranny, I hope one thinks in the long haul version. How would one grow food, aquire necessary equipment, tools ect. in order to carry on a fight and to ultimatly start over.
Now, if one percieved a storm coming would a wise person study survival gardening, then make sure they are able to actually do it.
OR, if a person already knows how to garden wouldn't it be easier to plant certain foods (onions, garlic, spearmint, peppermint ect) in their AO. Not only would that person have edible items, but also medicinal items as well.
Also by doing something of the like, it would attract animals to the area.

Mak
Re: 2 cents on the long haul #100489
02/15/2010 01:04 PM
02/15/2010 01:04 PM
Mississippi
K
Kimber_45 Offline
Kimber_45  Offline
K
Mississippi
you couldnt do it yourself. you would have to network with others. i have a few neighbors and friends near that i could count on.

Re: 2 cents on the long haul #100490
02/15/2010 02:50 PM
02/15/2010 02:50 PM
washington
mak9030mag Offline OP
mak9030mag  Offline OP
washington
and if something happened to your neighbors and friends? Maybe something you should consider, worst case senario. I don't think I would be willing to be counted on by friends if they could not contribute and did not know how to do it themselves. If you are injured or sick and need to have help, that is one thing. If you don't know how to fend for you and yours, what good are you to them or yourself? If you look at it as being the only person on earth left, you would not survive.

Mak
Re: 2 cents on the long haul #100491
02/15/2010 06:18 PM
02/15/2010 06:18 PM
Mississippi
O
Oldtimer Offline
Oldtimer  Offline
O
Mississippi
Originally posted by mak9030mag:
If found in a situation where one was forced to take arms against tyranny, I hope one thinks in the long haul version. How would one grow food, aquire necessary equipment, tools ect. in order to carry on a fight and to ultimatly start over.
Now, if one percieved a storm coming would a wise person study survival gardening, then make sure they are able to actually do it.
OR, if a person already knows how to garden wouldn't it be easier to plant certain foods (onions, garlic, spearmint, peppermint ect) in their AO. Not only would that person have edible items, but also medicinal items as well.
Also by doing something of the like, it would attract animals to the area.
Run a test to see how you fair. But, you will have to make some changes for the test.

Change 1: Remove Power Meter from the meter base. Now go hide the meter so nobody can find it. You must forget where it is during the test also.

Change 2: You can no longer buy gasoline, LP Gas, food, equipment, spare parts, oil, or anything else at a "Store" or “Business”. You can buy stuff from an individual, but only if the individual is actually participating in the test with you.

Change 3: If you have community water, turn it off and don't turn it back on during the test.

Change 4: You will look at and act as if all other persons are doing the test with you.

After you have done these things, go get in your recliner or favorite chair and ask yourself, "How will I live and survive now?"

If one has never been in a "worst case scenario" then one has no clue about surviving. All a book does is give you ideas on how to survive, but can you actually do it. That is the big question.

Re: 2 cents on the long haul #100492
02/16/2010 03:49 PM
02/16/2010 03:49 PM
washington
mak9030mag Offline OP
mak9030mag  Offline OP
washington
Thank you Oldtimer! It would be good for everyone to be able to do a test run like that. You can also try going camping with only what you can carry on your back and go way out in the woods. Try that for a weekend. Take a book of edible plants if you have one (I would think hunting season would be ideal so you could get meat with out getting in trouble for poaching). Any idea is good to throw out so everyone can tweak it to suite them.

Mak
Re: 2 cents on the long haul #100493
02/16/2010 06:34 PM
02/16/2010 06:34 PM
Mississippi
O
Oldtimer Offline
Oldtimer  Offline
O
Mississippi
As an observation from living thru Katrina, most folks will not be heading for the woods. They will hunker down and try to make it at their home. If not at home they will try to get there, unless home is destroyed.

The only camping most folks will do, the first month or two of a bad situation, will be on the land they own. If in the summer the tent will be under some heavy shade. They may stay in their modern home during the winter, to at least be out of the cold wind.

No water, no power, very little gas, no local TV, very little local radio makes for some serious soul searching. Unless you are running from somebody or trying to get away from a heavy populated area, running to the hills might not be the best thing to do.

Unless you have tons of money, the time to learn new skills, and the time and resources for checking out the trustworthiness of all of your new networking buddies, surviving in the local area you are familiar with may be the correct thing to do.

Moderated by  airforce, ConSigCor 

©>
©All information posted on this site is the private property of the individual author and AWRM.net and may not be reproduced without permission. © 2001-2020 AWRM.net All Rights Reserved.