01/06/2008 10:53 AM
01/06/2008 10:53 AM
Tulsa
airforce Online content OP
Administrator
airforce  Online Content OP
Administrator
Tulsa
Police in Lima, Ohio shot and killed Tarika Wilson, a mother of six, and seriously wounded her one-year-old son during a drug raid yesterday. Police say they were investigating Wilson’s boyfriend for drug distribution. They haven’t yet released why the police fired (though they have said police initially fired at two pit bulls). The fact that they aren’t saying so doesn’t bode well. When the suspect fires first in one of these cases, that fact is generally immediately released to the newspapers.

More disturbing, the police are saying they knew there were children in the home, yet went ahead a highly volatile, forced-entry drug raid, anyway. In fact…

Police Maj. Richard Shade, a former SWAT commander for the department, said it’s not unusual for children to be inside homes raided by police officers.

And therein lies yet another problem with these raids. It’s bad enough that they’re dangerous for cops, suspects, and people unfortunate enough to be the victim of wrong-door raids. But even when they get the correct house, there’s little regard for the safety of innocent people who might be inside. Why couldn’t they have nabbed this guy as he was coming or going? Why not wait for him to leave, then arrest him in his car? Why put six children and their mother in unnecessary peril?

There are far, far too many cases of innocent children, girlfriends, spouses, relatives, and visitors being at the wrong place at the wrong time, and winding up killed, injured, or arrested for mistaking raiding cops for criminal intruders.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Re: Mother of Six Killed in Drug Raid #149536
01/06/2008 12:56 PM
01/06/2008 12:56 PM
Outlands
D
debear Offline
debear  Offline
D
Outlands
To a point I agree but not in where the blame lies.

It is the criminal's fault that those people are in danger. They decided to put everyone around them in danger the moment they decided to be a criminal. And not just from LEOs but from other criminals as well.

If they were not a criminal then those around them would not be in danger or at least any more than anybody else.

It is their total lack of regard for the safety of their family and friends that puts them in danger to begin with.

I feel sorry for the innocents that get caught in the crossfire but the LEOs didn't force that person to do the crime that put others in harms way.

"The warrior preserves and protects but does not conquer, dominate, or subjugate. Only the enemy will have to fear a warrior’s skills."
— Richard Heckler
Re: Mother of Six Killed in Drug Raid #149537
01/06/2008 01:02 PM
01/06/2008 01:02 PM
Seattle - that place - ε&...
D
Doktor_Jeep Offline
Doktor_Jeep  Offline

D
Originally posted by debear:
To a point I agree but not in where the blame lies.

It is the criminal's fault that those people are in danger. They decided to put everyone around them in danger the moment they decided to be a criminal. And not just from LEOs but from other criminals as well.

If they were not a criminal then those around them would not be in danger or at least any more than anybody else.

It is their total lack of regard for the safety of their family and friends that puts them in danger to begin with.

I feel sorry for the innocents that get caught in the crossfire but the LEOs didn't force that person to do the crime that put others in harms way.
This
is
over
DRUGS

When the day comes that you try to pretend your black rifles fell in the river and your kids get shot in the SWAT raid, the same things will be said about you.

Lets start looking at the stupidity of the law, and stop supporting the stupidity in enforcing the law.

I guess Lon Hirouchi really is a hero and Weaver should go to prison for his wifes death.

Fuel
Is running
Fuel
Is coming
Fuel
Is running
Down
Down
Down my face
Re: Mother of Six Killed in Drug Raid #149538
01/06/2008 01:15 PM
01/06/2008 01:15 PM
nowhere
I
inactive Offline
inactive  Offline
I
nowhere
D_J is right. Now, if the guy was at the time threatening to kill his family, that's reason to enter his home like that, unless a safer way can be found. In that case, what you said would make sense.

Not when he's selling a plant that people burn to make themselves hungry and stupid. Or selling anything for that matter...

no signature
Re: Mother of Six Killed in Drug Raid #149539
01/06/2008 01:24 PM
01/06/2008 01:24 PM
43BN-37FF
Rudy Offline
Rudy  Offline
43BN-37FF

Because this BF decided to be a criminal, and that should be aledged criminal, JUSTIFIES the LEO's actions!? I don't think so! Get real. These guys are just neighborhood bullies with guns and badges.

Rudy out
"Once the pin is pulled, Mr. Handgrenade is no longer our friend."
Re: Mother of Six Killed in Drug Raid #149540
01/06/2008 01:50 PM
01/06/2008 01:50 PM
Louisiana
C
Cajunpatriot Offline
NCO Contributor
Cajunpatriot  Offline
NCO Contributor

C
Louisiana
I teach the children of folks like these people. I used to prosecute them. They do not live wholesome lives. Nevertheless, to be murdered by JBTs or to have children shot accidentally or on purpose over what is basically a revenue crime is highly immoral.

The whole war on drugs is really a war on black people. It is disgusting.

CAJUN PATRIOT
Louisiana
Re: Mother of Six Killed in Drug Raid #149541
01/06/2008 03:03 PM
01/06/2008 03:03 PM
NW Central Ohio
W
Wyrm Offline
Wyrm  Offline
W
NW Central Ohio
Originally posted by Cajunpatriot:

NO! NO IT'S FRIGGIN NOT!!!!

You're no better than Sharpton or Jackson when you say that kind of crap. You're no different than the dope who posted that same kind of crap on the Lima News website, under Ron's Rants.

Whites get raided too. Whites go to prison too.

The problem isn't about a skin color; the problem is with the rise of the police state.

I saw an article about this yesterday, and it looks like airforce left something out: the boyfriend was arrested on SUSPICION of possession of crack cocaine. Notice I didn't say 'possession of crack cocaine', but SUSPICION of possessing crack.

Lima (pronounced like the bean, Lye-muh) is a pesthole, but it's not in the same league with NYC, LA, Chicago, etc. Cops aren't getting shot every day, the SWAT isn't raiding homes every day, nothing like that. I'm thinking some doorkicker got nervous and popped Ms. Wilson and her son.

I really, REALLY hope that people don't go the easy route and say this is a race problem. It's not. It's a police state problem. Time will tell. I'll have to pick up a copy of the Lima News the next few days and see what happens.

Insert something witty here
Re: Mother of Six Killed in Drug Raid #149542
01/06/2008 05:28 PM
01/06/2008 05:28 PM
Outlands
D
debear Offline
debear  Offline
D
Outlands
You guys just amaze me. smile

I said I somewhat agree with Airforce. Sure there may have been an alternative to bring the guy in.

I'm not arguing that point. I don't know because I don't have the details.

However that does not excuse the fact that the drug biz along with other criminal activity is a dangerous biz to be in. And everybody knows that going into it.

If this person did what he is accused of allegedly doing, (Is that better Rudy?) then he made the decision to put everyone around him in danger. Whether or not he realizes it.

Whether or not you feel like drugs should be legal or not is irrelevant, because they are.

The fact remains that the alleged drug dealer made the decision to break the law by entering into a dangerous and illegal business and therefore put not only himself in danger but those around him also.

That's all I'm saying.

It seems to me that some are so dead set on blaming it on the cops and police state that we are willing to forget that bad things do happen to bad people because of the choices they make. And it gets others hurt in the process.

So yeah it sucks and probably shouldn't have happened. And maybe they were JBT's. I don't know.

But the root cause of it all happening in the first place was the person's decision to be involved in that and therefore endangering others by his decision.

If he wouldn't have put himself into a position to be accused of the crime, none of this would have happened and these people would still be alive because there would never have been police involvement to begin with.

That is why you are charged with the death of someone if it happened in relation to actions of a crime you committed. Whether or not you did the killing yourself.

You ARE responsible for the decisions you make. And those decisions do effect others. Let's not glorify the criminals just to blame the LEOs.

You say, it's just a drug case and they should be legal anyway.

But I have seen drugs ruin more lives than I can count and that kind of ruin would be there legal or not. So let's not be so quick to excuse the drug dealer for his actions and decisions.

Have we so forgotten good from bad so much that all we know is a wide gray line?

"The warrior preserves and protects but does not conquer, dominate, or subjugate. Only the enemy will have to fear a warrior’s skills."
— Richard Heckler
Re: Mother of Six Killed in Drug Raid #149543
01/06/2008 06:48 PM
01/06/2008 06:48 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Debear I can tell that you are a guy who would never cross that thin blue line. frown

Re: Mother of Six Killed in Drug Raid #149544
01/06/2008 08:58 PM
01/06/2008 08:58 PM
Tulsa
Administrator
Administrator
Tulsa
More on the raid: Lima’s police chief inadvertently explained a huge part of the problem:

Garlock said the SWAT team is highly skilled and has conducted thousands of other raids without problems. Such raids always are dangerous and “high risk,” he said.

Perhaps Garlock is employing some hyperbole to overstate the safety record of the SWAT team. I’d hope so. Lima is a town of 40,000 people. If the SWAT team really has conducted “thousands” of raids over the years, that’s in itself is a big reason for concern. Unless a good percentage of Lima’s population are violent criminals.

Also, it looks like a member of the Lima city council owned the house in question, and was leasing it to the couple that was raided. That at least means there will likely be a pretty thorough investigation.

So far police haven’t revealed (a) what quantity of drugs they found, or (b) whether the suspect fired on them. That they haven’t yet passed this information on suggests the answers to those questions are (a) not much, and (b) no. We’ll see, I guess. But the initial reaction from police departments in this situation is to release everything they can that makes the suspect/victim look bad.

Debear, the alcohol business was, for a time, a bad business to be in, too. When was the last time you heard of hoodlums murdering each other over the booze business?

I do think drugs should be re-legalized. Not because I like them, or think they are a good idea, but because no one has the right to tell you or I what we should or should not put into our own bodies. I will point out, however, that alcohol abuse has ruined more lives than opium--or any other drug--ever has.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Re: Mother of Six Killed in Drug Raid #149545
01/07/2008 12:41 AM
01/07/2008 12:41 AM
Outlands
D
debear Offline
debear  Offline
D
Outlands
Originally posted by RD6:
Debear I can tell that you are a guy who would never cross that thin blue line. frown
Whether I would or would not is irrelevant.

I am responsible for my decisions just like everyone else. Unlike a lot of this world I am willing to accept responsibility for those decisions.

Airforce, I have heard that argument before too. They always fall back to that. But it doesn't hold up either.

Are you trying to tell me that since alcohol has been made legal that it does not ruin lives?

I think that all those victims of DWI's and recovering alcoholics would disagree.

— Richard Heckler
Re: Mother of Six Killed in Drug Raid #149546
01/07/2008 12:43 AM
01/07/2008 12:43 AM
Phoenix,az
W
wasnme Offline
wasnme  Offline
W
Phoenix,az
Thats the rough part about freedom,it has costs above and beyond what most people consider.
Drugs and their use should be legal.
If there are children involved,and the environment is dangerous for them,then there are laws that already deal with that,and they can be removed , and chances are you won't hear a peep out of anyone about it because it's the right thinfg to do.
Drug laws are only effective in generating revenue,and getting people killed.
For as many lives as I've seen messed up by drug and alchohol use, I've seen just as many ruined over casual responcible use , by an over reaching justice system.
Freedom means some people are going to do things you don't like,just as you will most likely do something someone else disapproves of.

The Level of Evil to be expected in any given circumstance is directly proportionate to the profit margin....
Re: Mother of Six Killed in Drug Raid #149547
01/07/2008 01:21 AM
01/07/2008 01:21 AM
Tulsa
Administrator
Administrator
Tulsa
Are you trying to tell me that since alcohol has been made legal that it does not ruin lives?
The irresponsible use of alcohol is a vice. It harms only the person who abuses alcohol. When someone harms someone else--while under the influence of alcohol, drugs, or while sober--it is a criminal act.

A person who sits in his home and quietly drinks himself to death has committed a vice. A person who has one drink and murders someone has committed a crime.

I work in law enforcement, and I've seen folks who live only for that next drink or that next high. I don't care what the sociologists say; it is not the alcohol or drugs that destroyed that person. That person, of his own free will, did it to himself. He can quit anytime, and there's a slough of people who will help him quit if he can't do it himself. If that person is happy living like that, well, that's his choice. I'm not his daddy, and neither is the government.

If drugs are re-legalized, I've no doubt that some folks will abuse them, just as they abuse them now. I also have no doubt that all those street gangs that depend on the drug trade will disappear overnight. Without drug money, there's nothing to keep them in business.

We would free half the jail and prison inmates, and reserve those spaces for real, violent criminals. Cops could quit trying to piss up a rope fighting the drug war, and go after the real criminals. Excise taxes from the sale of drugs (which, admittedly, I oppose on principle) could be an added bonus.

For more on the distinction between vices and crimes, I would recommend reading Vices Are Not Crimes, by Lysander Spooner.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Re: Mother of Six Killed in Drug Raid #149548
01/07/2008 02:00 AM
01/07/2008 02:00 AM
SE Virginia
S
swabjocky Offline
swabjocky  Offline
S
SE Virginia
When Prohibition ended there was a big huge and cry that the country as a whole would end up in the bottle. In actuality, the percentage of people who abused alcohol dropped and then leveled off. The gangs that rose up to supply the demand for booze found something else to suplement their incomes. Drugs, prostitution, gambling, extorhtion...

I foresee a similar situation with drugs.

Illigitime non carborundum

"Three is good, four would be better, but three is good" Mel Gibson in the Patriot.

"Now if I can find two more, I'd be good". Swabjocky
Re: Mother of Six Killed in Drug Raid #149549
01/07/2008 02:02 AM
01/07/2008 02:02 AM
Outlands
D
debear Offline
debear  Offline
D
Outlands
Like I said, I'm not arguing the point of whether or not it should be legal. The fact is that at this time it is illegal.

And both of you just said the same thing I have been saying but don't see it.

Wasnme you are right as are you Airforce.

That person, of his own free will, did it to himself.
That is the same thing I said, only in this case as in many others, what he decided to do to himself brought any number of bad possibilities upon the people around him.

So you admit that the root cause of the problem that ultimately lead to the deaths of others was his initial decision to get involved with an illegal substance in this case being drugs.

This is really off subject and just my opinion but, I don't think that all this stuff would just go away if drugs were made legal. It hasn't gone away with alcohol yet. In fact crime and deaths with alcohol as a factor continue to go up every year.

But I won't argue with the point that true liberty is being able to decide for yourself. smile

— Richard Heckler
Re: Mother of Six Killed in Drug Raid #149550
01/07/2008 02:35 AM
01/07/2008 02:35 AM
SW Iowa
G
gman1322 Offline
gman1322  Offline
G
SW Iowa

That's like saying the whole war on extremists (militias) is really a war on white people. WTF?

The war on drugs is the war on DRUGS. Last time I checked they were still illegal for any skin color.

What happened here was wrong in that they purposely put that family in danger when they could have picked a better time. And yes, by his alleged actions, he is to blame for putting them in that position of being in danger of raids, drug robberies, and "dealer" related violence. If he wasn't an immediate danger to those in the house, why couldn't the raid hold off for when he exited the house?

I don't see proper beforehand planning on raids that end like this.

That is what's disgusting!

gman

Re: Mother of Six Killed in Drug Raid #149551
01/07/2008 07:06 AM
01/07/2008 07:06 AM
D
Doktor_Jeep Offline
Doktor_Jeep  Offline

D
Hey I have teh criminal gangs website address complete with a little help on how to ban guns!

http://www2.wcoil.com/~lpd/swat/swat.htm

Fuel
Is running
Fuel
Is coming
Fuel
Is running
Down
Down
Down my face
Re: Mother of Six Killed in Drug Raid #149552
01/07/2008 07:10 AM
01/07/2008 07:10 AM
SW Iowa
G
gman1322 Offline
gman1322  Offline
G
SW Iowa
Originally posted by Doktor_Jeep:
Hey I have teh criminal gangs website address complete with a little help on how to ban guns!

http://www2.wcoil.com/~lpd/swat/swat.htm
Should we send them an "attaboy!" on the success of their raid?

gman

Re: Mother of Six Killed in Drug Raid #149553
01/07/2008 07:50 AM
01/07/2008 07:50 AM
NW Central Ohio
W
Wyrm Offline
Wyrm  Offline
W
NW Central Ohio
Notice how they are all afraid to show their faces? In the photo there is one man who doesn't have a mask and helmet on.

I understand when a militiaman, or E.L.F. bitch, or one of the WTO protestors wears something over their face. But we're not able to launch multi-million dollar investigations about people, turn their lives upside down, imprison them on trumped up charges, and murder them under cover of the law, so I wonder what they're afraid of?

Re: Mother of Six Killed in Drug Raid #149554
01/07/2008 10:24 AM
01/07/2008 10:24 AM
Tulsa
Administrator
Administrator
Tulsa
That photo certainly is a nice touch, isn't it? The police chief says this team has staged "thousands" of raids, and Lima only has a population of about 40,000.

With that many hardcore criminals in that small a town, I'd keep my face hidden, too.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Re: Mother of Six Killed in Drug Raid #149555
01/07/2008 11:16 AM
01/07/2008 11:16 AM
D
Doktor_Jeep Offline
Doktor_Jeep  Offline

D
Originally posted by airforce:
That photo certainly is a nice touch, isn't it? The police chief says this team has staged "thousands" of raids, and [b]Lima only has a population of about 40,000.

With that many hardcore criminals in that small a town, I'd keep my face hidden, too.

Onward and upward,
airforce [/b]
Most criminals, as far as drugs are concerned, see it as a business venture hence the lack of officer deaths in drug raids. The runners are less likely to kill over this stuff and would rather buy their way out of prison.

No I think the masks are for all those innocent people they screwed, who are far more dangerous.

Fuel
Is running
Fuel
Is coming
Fuel
Is running
Down
Down
Down my face
Re: Mother of Six Killed in Drug Raid #149556
01/07/2008 11:38 AM
01/07/2008 11:38 AM
Louisiana
C
Cajunpatriot Offline
NCO Contributor
Cajunpatriot  Offline
NCO Contributor

C
Louisiana
Gman1322 and Debear

Drugs are bad, but I agree with Airforce that they are ultimately a vice. These laws originated as revenue crimes and like all taxation based tyrany it has only grown in scope and effectiveness as an instrumentality of totalitarianism. I have seen the way the modern criminal-industrial complex works from the inside of the beast' belly. The war on drugs is the main appendage of that monster.

Who controls most of the drug trade? Local sheriffs! I am not saying all do it, but enough do it that it is darn near a cliche'. In cities, corrupt politicians and mob bosses conspire to control the illegal drug rackette. In New Orleans for instance most of the section 8 slums are owned by the judges and city officials who put their tenants in jail after selling them dope!

Why wage this war on Black folks? Perhaps basic racism is a factor. More likely it is because these folks are seen as Helots by the ruling elite to be culled occassionaly so they can serve as new bodies for filling the beds in the many private prisons around this country. Once out of jail they become customers of the many probation and parole monitering service businesses that parasitically rehab and monitor ex-cons.

Are black people just inherently depraved? I do not think that is the case, so why are so many black men in prision on mostly drug related offenses, usually starting with simple possession charges. Once in the system their legitimate options for employment are very limited and they become career criminals instead. There they are also radicalized as they become Black Muslims. This makes them even more dangerous and that necessitates even more scrutiny by the State's security apparatus.

It is said that if you kill 10 you are a criminal but if you kill 10,000 they call you emperor. This is so true. The white collar criminals at Enron and Haliburton have done way more harm to society than any junky or street level pusher.

By the way, the war on militias is a war on white people, at least those white Christain people who haven't lined up for more somma spiked kool-aide. See this is a divide a conquor strategy. When Democrats are in power they focus on grinding the white middle class into dust. When the Republican take over they target the black underclass.

If the state puts genocidal scale pressure on blacks it breeds resentment. They lash out, this precipitates fear among white property owners who militate for more law and order. Despotism is enhanced. Then, While white and black folks are at each others throats, the organized crime figures in DC and their corporate masters rob us both blind. At the end of the day we just move closer and closer to Third World style peonage and more federal money is poured into local law enforcement outfits so that they are simultaneously co-opted and paramilitarized.

CAJUN PATRIOT
Louisiana
Re: Mother of Six Killed in Drug Raid #149557
01/07/2008 12:00 PM
01/07/2008 12:00 PM
Tulsa
Administrator
Administrator
Tulsa
What do you call a cocaine ring at the University of Oklahoma?

A football huddle.
--Joke currently making its way around Oklahoma.

Why do drug cops spend so much time working the poorer black and Hispanic sections of town, but completely ignore college campuses, where drugs are even more rampant?

People keep telling me drug laws are not racist but, the fact is, racism has always been the driving force in drug laws and drug enforcement. Why else the recently-done-away-with disparity between penalties for crack and powder cocaine?

Speaking of cocaine, it's criminalization a hundred years ago was largely based on racism. (Why, did you notice that, under the influence of cocaine, black men and white women dance together?)

I'll go one step further. Concealed carry gun laws have their roots in racism, as well. Here in Oklahoma, all that was originally required for a "concealed carry permit" was the approval of the county sheriff.

White folks were approved. Blacks, naturally, were not.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Re: Mother of Six Killed in Drug Raid #149558
01/07/2008 03:59 PM
01/07/2008 03:59 PM
Colorado
Patriot Offline
Patriot  Offline
Colorado
Naw, i won't comment on this one! I may piss off too many people. You'all know my politics!! SWAT teams are for HOSTAGE and BARRICADE situations ONLY!! I agree, there are plenty of good cops out there, but they need to police the bad cops so we don't have too at a later date!! Trouble is if they do, they either get fired or worst! So what should be done in a situation like this?? I'll leave this question to those who choose to answer. I know what i would do, but to use the piss poor excuse of innocent people getting hurt because the criminal was close and it was his fault just don't cut it with me. I've trained with SWAT, and the ones i trained with, WILL NOT DO A DYNAMIC ENTRY WHERE INNOCENT PEOPLE ARE INVOLVED, UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE!!!

Monica Lewinsky- amerikan patriot and militia poster girl. Only person in amerika that blew away a crooked president, never served a day in jail and lived to tell about it.
Re: Mother of Six Killed in Drug Raid #149559
01/08/2008 09:43 AM
01/08/2008 09:43 AM
Tulsa
Administrator
Administrator
Tulsa
Lima police and city officials are bunkering down, as almost always happens in these cases. We do now know that Tarika Wilson and her son were shot on the second floor, after police had taken her boyfriend Anthony Terry–the man they were after–into custody. Police still haven’t said what quantity of drugs they found, nor have they mentioned whether Wilson or Terry fired a weapon. I also found this passage pretty troubling:

Questions about the raid continued to swirl around Lima, with Councilman Glenn protesting the way police treated him as both a city official and landlord.

As owner of the house Ms. Wilson rented without incident for a year, Mr. Glenn said he should have been notified that police suspected drug activity there and maybe he could’ve helped.

Mayor David Berger said landlords are not notified about such investigations.

Well, why not? Unless police suspect the landlord is part of the drug operation, why wouldn’t you notify him? Seems to me that talking with a landlord would (a) let him know he has a drug problem in one of his properties, (b) help police verify that the suspect they’re looking for does indeed still live where they think he does, and–I know this is going to sound crazy–but maybe, (c) they could then work with the landlord to get into the unit to conduct the search while no one is home, instead of kicking down doors in the middle of the night while six children are inside.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Re: Mother of Six Killed in Drug Raid #149560
01/08/2008 01:44 PM
01/08/2008 01:44 PM
Colorado
Patriot Offline
Patriot  Offline
Colorado
Agreed!!!!!!!!!

Monica Lewinsky- amerikan patriot and militia poster girl. Only person in amerika that blew away a crooked president, never served a day in jail and lived to tell about it.
Re: Mother of Six Killed in Drug Raid #149561
01/10/2008 07:54 PM
01/10/2008 07:54 PM
NW Central Ohio
W
Wyrm Offline
Wyrm  Offline
W
NW Central Ohio
Lima PD has now ID'ed the trigger puller.

And he's got blood on his hands already, from 2000.

All emphasis was added by me.
=======

LPD identifies officer responsible for fatal shooting
Greg Sowinski | gsowinski@limanews.com - 01.10.2008

LIMA — After the name of the Lima Police Department SWAT team officer responsible for his sister's death was released Wednesday, Ivory Austin said the biggest question he wants answered is why it happened.

The officer, Sgt. Joe Chavalia, is the same officer who gave the command to use deadly force during the department's last fatal shooting in 2000 at the Lima Rescue Home. On Friday, Chavalia was the SWAT team officer who fired the fatal shots that killed 26-year-old Tarika Wilson during a drug raid at 218 E. Third St.

Wilson was shot twice in the torso. Wilson's 1-year-old son, Sincere, also was shot in the shoulder and hand.

Chavalia, 52, is a 31-year veteran of the department and has served on the SWAT team for 22 years. He is the former commander of the team but lost that title when another officer, Chip Protsman, was promoted to lieutenant, giving him the higher rank.

Chavalia remains on administrative leave as standard procedure following an officer-involved shooting. Chavalia, whose job assignment before the shooting was the second-shift supervisor, has the third-most seniority, behind Chief Greg Garlock and Maj. Richard Shade, according to police records.

Austin said he doesn't know Chavalia.

“This is just the start now. Now I want to know why,” he said.

Police have yet to sit down with Austin and his family to tell them what happened, Austin said.

Lima 6th Ward Councilman Derry Glenn declined to comment.

Police officials have not released details about the shooting, other than to say it happened during a drug raid. Wilson's shooting has created an outcry in the city's black community over the death of the young black mother at the hands of a police officer.

Ohio Attorney General Marc Dann will be in Lima on Wednesday to talk about the shooting.

Police were raiding the house looking for Anthony Terry, 31, with whom they have had other run-ins with in the past, including an incident in which he tried to use a weapon against another police officer more than 10 years ago, police said.

Terry also has a criminal past that has sent him to prison.

The raid was deemed “high-risk” because of various circumstances, including the potential that children might be in the house. Wilson's six children were inside along with her and Terry.

During the fatal shooing at the Lima Rescue Home on Aug. 23, 2000, Chavalia gave the command to Officer Kelly Ricker to fire a fatal shot after he saw a knife in Michael Hildebrandt's hand and other nonlethal attempts to incapacitate Hildebrandt failed. Hildebrandt reportedly suffered from mental illness.

That shooting ended a six-hour standoff with police. It also occurred during a tense situation that included a fire set by Hildebrandt burning inside the 8-foot-by-10-foot room.

During that shooting, Chavalia fired at least four rounds of nonlethal beanbags, trying to incapacitate Hildebrandt. Hildebrandt, who was white and clothed only in underwear and a cord wrapped around his waist, continued to reach for his side, where it was believed he had a knife.

Chavalia ran out of beanbags, and Hildebrand was spotted with the knife.

“At that point, he yelled for Officer Ricker to shoot, and he yelled knife,” according to a police report.

An Allen County grand jury reviewed the fatal shooting and cleared Chavalia and Ricker of criminal charges. Both men also were cleared by the U.S. Department of Justice, who investigated Hildebrandt's death and whether officers violated his civil rights. An internal police investigation found Chavalia and Ricker did not violate the department's use-of-force policy.

Following the 2000 incident, The Lima News reviewed Chavalia's personnel file, which included praise and recognition for his work with the SWAT team.

“These operations are very prone to involve violent individuals. The sergeant displays very good judgment in the leadership of his team for the safe and successful completion of the operations,” according to an efficiency report from 1992.

Chavalia also has taken numerous courses on self-defense and tactics on high-stress and dangerous situations, the records said at the time.

He also was praised for his community service, including raising money and clothing donations for flood victims in Des Moines, Iowa. He drove the items to Iowa on his own time in his own car, records reported.
=========

I think that the Lima News MAY have just screwed this cop.

Here's why:

Chavalia also has taken numerous courses on self-defense and tactics on high-stress and dangerous situations, the records said at the time.
It's likely that the cops are going to say something about this being a high-stress situation, which it is, and how the possibility exists to hit the wrong person, which is true. Having done this type of thing myself while in the Corps, and again during militia training sessions, I can tell you that when the adrenaline starts flowing and your body is in that mode, it's REAL easy to shoot the wrong person.

Which is why SWAT should only be used for it's original purpose: hostage situations and barricaded suspects.

Anyway, back to my point. The cops will say how it's such a dangerous, high-risk, high-stress environment, and now the paper has just handed pretty much EVERYONE a club to beat the cops on the head with.

I can hear it now:

"A raid is always very stressful, risky, etc. etc."

"Yeah, but your officer has had training SPECIFICALLY in how to deal with that sort of thing."

So either the training was faulty, or the officer just wanted to kill a black. At least, that's the reasoning that will be used.

The hardcopy version of this story had a pic of the cop in question. Don't know why the e-version didn't.

Re: Mother of Six Killed in Drug Raid #149562
01/17/2008 12:20 PM
01/17/2008 12:20 PM
Tulsa
Administrator
Administrator
Tulsa
We’re going on two weeks, now, and police in Lima, Ohio still haven’t explained why they killed a 26-year-old mother of six and wounded a one-year-old boy in a botched drug raid. No work on what motivated the officer to shoot the woman. Nothing on the quantity of drugs police claim to have found in the home. No word on any weapons found in the home.

And residents of Lima are getting very, very angry.

http://www.ohio.com/news/ap?articleID=343046&c=y

Onward and upward,
airforce

Re: Mother of Six Killed in Drug Raid #149563
01/17/2008 02:37 PM
01/17/2008 02:37 PM
Colorado
Patriot Offline
Patriot  Offline
Colorado
I can tell you exactly why nothing has been said! They forgot to bring the evidence with them and found nothing in the house!!

Re: Mother of Six Killed in Drug Raid #149564
01/17/2008 03:02 PM
01/17/2008 03:02 PM
D
Doktor_Jeep Offline
Doktor_Jeep  Offline

D
I hope the residents of Lima get really angry.

Fuel
Is running
Fuel
Is coming
Fuel
Is running
Down
Down
Down my face
Re: Mother of Six Killed in Drug Raid #149565
02/10/2008 06:57 AM
02/10/2008 06:57 AM
Tulsa
Administrator
Administrator
Tulsa
News story here.

When peaceful protesters gathered in Lima, Ohio last month to denounce the SWAT raid in which police shot and killed 26-year-old Tarika Wilson, and wounded her one-year-old son, the local police department apparently stationed snipers from the same SWAT team on the roofs of the buildings overlooking the protest.

It’s been six weeks, now. And we still don’t know what happened in that house, or why the unarmed woman and her child were shot.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Re: Mother of Six Killed in Drug Raid #149566
02/11/2008 06:04 AM
02/11/2008 06:04 AM
Colorado
Patriot Offline
Patriot  Offline
Colorado
I guess when the time comes, the snipers will know that, that stuff goes two ways!! If they weren't hiding something, there would have been NO snipers!!

Re: Mother of Six Killed in Drug Raid #149567
03/17/2008 12:31 PM
03/17/2008 12:31 PM
Tulsa
Administrator
Administrator
Tulsa
An officer has now been charged in this case. Only with misdemeanors, but to be honest, I’m a little surprised.

I really don’t know whether this is appropriate or overly lenient. The reason it’s hard to tell is that we’re closing in on three months now, and the Lima police still won’t say what happened to make the officers shoot an unarmed woman holding an infant.

News article here.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Re: Mother of Six Killed in Drug Raid #149568
03/17/2008 12:34 PM
03/17/2008 12:34 PM
Great north wet
R
rodymartin Offline
rodymartin  Offline
R
Great north wet
Can we say ruby ridge?????

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." - John F. Kennedy
"MOLON LABE"

Rody Martin
KE7IIX
IBR 189
Marblemount, WA
Re: Mother of Six Killed in Drug Raid #149569
03/17/2008 07:39 PM
03/17/2008 07:39 PM
NW Central Ohio
W
Wyrm Offline
Wyrm  Offline
W
NW Central Ohio
Oh damn, now here's a REAL friggin gem:

"It's a sad day for us that one of our officers was indicted," Garlock said.
Oh, is that all? Sad that one of your officers was indicted for gunning a woman down in her own home?

Not sad that he shot her, KILLED her?

Not sad that he maimed a baby? Herro, assbag, the kid's finger had to be AMP-U-TATED! Do you know what that means, assgoat? It means that the doctors CUT. IT. OFF!

Bah, that's just collateral damage, huh? The REAL tragedy is the fact that the killer pig is facing two MISDEMEANOR counts. Not even a Felony 5 (the LOWEST level of felony here in Ohio. You'll get more time behind bars for a DUI than for most F5's).

And the worst part, I don't even know if conviction will bar this asshole from remaining on the force, or getting a job as a cop somewhere else in this state if the Lima PD somehow decides to get rid of him after his conviction.

I can't believe this. I just can't fathom what was going thru the head of the jury.

"Any time a man shoots through a baby and kills an unarmed woman, and is charged with two misdemeanors, I think it would be an understatement to say that that's unacceptable," said Jason Upthegrove, Lima NAACP president.
There are DAMN few things you will ever see me agree with the NAACP on, but I agree completely with the above statement.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see Lima riot real soon. And honestly, I can't say that I'd blame them.

Re: Mother of Six Killed in Drug Raid #149570
03/17/2008 07:49 PM
03/17/2008 07:49 PM
NW Central Ohio
W
Wyrm Offline
Wyrm  Offline
W
NW Central Ohio
And just to add insult to injury:

As of the time I posted to the poll on the Lima news website, 50% of the people who had responded said that the charges were TOO HARSH!!

WTF?!?!?!??

Re: Mother of Six Killed in Drug Raid #149571
03/21/2008 09:17 AM
03/21/2008 09:17 AM
Florida
Z
zeroedin Offline
zeroedin  Offline
Z
Florida
There are PLENTY of sad stories of FALSE ARREST, WRONGFULL DEATH, & ERRONEOUS WARRENTS...here's one that has a bit happier, (though yet unresolved) tale to tell...NEVER GIVE UP...NEVER QUIT!

-------------------------- ARTILCLE BELOW -----------------------------------

Lethal Injustice: No New Trial for Death Row Prisoner Troy Davis

Posted by: "Leroy Crenshaw" leroy@ix.netcom.com leroy4216
Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:27 am (PDT)

Written By: Liliana Segura,
AlterNet
Posted on March 20, 2008, Printed on March 20, 2008

http://www.alternet.org/story/80271/

Troy Anthony Davis is an innocent man on
Georgia's death row. His lawyers believe it, his
supporters believe it, even most of those who
sent him to die believe it. Accused of killing a
police officer in Savannah, Ga., in 1989, his
conviction was based solely on eyewitness
accounts from people who claimed to have seen
Davis, then 20 years old, shoot police officer
Mark Allen MacPhail to death in a Burger King
parking lot. No murder weapon was ever found and
no physical evidence linked him to the crime.
Nevertheless, he was found guilty in 1991 and
sentenced to die. Troy Davis would spend the next
decade and a half on death row insisting on his
innocence. Last summer, less than 24 hours before
his scheduled execution, someone finally listened.

On the night of July 16, 2007, Troy Davis was
facing death by lethal injection when he won a
last-minute stay of execution by the Georgia
Board of Pardons and Paroles. At a meeting that
day lasting more than six hours, numerous people
had asked the members of the board to spare
Davis' life, among them Atlanta representative
and civil rights leader Rep. John Lewis. In the
world outside, Davis had the backing of countless
anti-death penalty groups, Amnesty International,
a handful of celebrities, and the Pope. But
perhaps the most compelling support that day came
from five of the original witnesses who had
testified at Davis' trial. Sixteen years before,
they had taken the stand for the prosecution; now
they urged the board to save the life of an innocent man.

They were not alone. Of the nine original
witnesses in the trial who implicated Davis,
seven have recanted their testimony. Three of
those seven have signed statements contradicting
their identification of Davis as the triggerman.
Two others who made claims that Davis had
confessed to the murder later admitted they were
lying. And other witnesses have since identified
the shooter as another man altogether, a "thug"
by the name of Sylvester Nathaniel Coles, who
also happened to be one of the state's witnesses against Davis.

The Savannah police force has long defended its
investigation of the MacPhail murder, including
the veracity of the witness testimonies against
Davis. But as more and more details have emerged
about their claims, the more disturbingly clear
it has become that the police played a major --
and coercive role -- in building the case against
him. "There was a lot of pressure to get
somebody," one former officer told the Atlanta
Journal-Constitution last year. As happens all
too often with the murder of a white cop, it
didn't seem to matter whether that "somebody" was guilty or not.

The trial began two years to the day following
the death of Mark Allen MacPhail, on August 19,
1991. Davis was convicted and sentenced to die.
Ten years later, with Davis languishing on death
row, the case against him started to unravel.
Witnesses revised their stories, saying that they
had been pressured by police to implicate Davis;
in 2000 one woman named Dorothy Ferrell, who
during the trial had said she was "positive"
Davis was the killer, signed an affidavit
admitting that she had been on parole at the time
and, as the Atlanta Journal-Constitution
reported, "feared she would be locked up again if
she didn't tell police what they wanted to hear."
In her statement she said: "I don't know which of
the guys did the shooting, because I didn't see that part."

A sample of other statements:

"I was totally unsure whether [Davis] was the person who shot the officer."

"I told them Troy confessed to me. None of it was true."

As the truth came out, a movement of support
formed around Davis -- but it would take his
imminent execution and a barrage of media
coverage for anyone in an official position to
step in. Weeks after Davis' brush with death, on
Aug. 3, 2007, on the basis of witness
recantations and other developments, the Georgia
Supreme Court agreed to hear an appeal for new
trial for Troy Davis. Oral arguments took place
on Nov. 13. Four months later, this past Monday,
March 16, the court made its ruling: Troy Davis would not get a new trial.

In a 4-3 decision, the court decided that not
even the seven recanted testimonies were enough
to merit a new trial. "We simply cannot disregard
the jury's verdict in this case," wrote Justice
Harold Melton. Never mind that the jury was
working with hopelessly tainted evidence -- and
that two of the jurors have declared that if they
knew then what they know now, they would never
have voted to convict Troy Davis. As Chief
Justice Leah Ward Sears wrote in her dissent: "If
recantation testimony … shows convincingly that
prior trial testimony was false, it simply defies
all logic and morality to hold that it must be
disregarded categorically." But logic and
morality have little say in a system that straps
people to a gurney, outfits them with intravenous
lines and murders them with a lethal cocktail.
Once again, Troy Davis confronts this fate.

Even the most hardbitten death penalty lawyers
and activists were stunned by the court ruling.
Georgia defense attorney Chris Adams, a member of
Davis' defense team, called it "a heartbreaking
day." "I was very surprised by the decision on
Monday," he said over the phone on Tuesday
morning. "We felt that the proper course was to
hear all the witnesses … and then to make a
judgment call." Instead, the ruling means that
new evidence that could clear Davis will likely
never make it into the courtroom. To Adams, this
is a travesty. This case, an "actual innocence
case," is "the kind of case you go to law school
for," he said. "You would hope all your cases
would have this kind of significance -- or that none of them would."

Almost 20 years after his death, family members
of officer MacPhail remain unmoved by Davis'
strong innocence claims. On Tuesday, his mother
told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that she
was satisfied with the Supreme Court's ruling. "I
wonder, what do all those witnesses remember
after 18 years?" MacPhail asked. "There is no new
evidence. No mother should go through what I have been through."

It's hard to imagine that recantations by seven
out of nine witnesses does not qualify as new
evidence. And few as of yet have seen fit to talk
to Davis' family about what they have been
through, living out this nightmare for 18 years.
Among them is Davis' sister, Martina Correia, a
courageous and outspoken activist on his behalf,
who is facing her own life or death struggle.
While her brother has been fighting for his life
on death row, she has been battling breast cancer.

On Monday, Martina stood on the Capitol steps in
Atlanta and reiterated her belief that justice
will prevail for her brother. "We have had years
of disappointment before, but we still have fight in us. We are not giving up."

The case of Troy Davis is a horrible miscarriage
of justice. But it can hardly be considered an
aberration. Not in the context of the criminal
justice system in Georgia, the only state in the
country that does not provide lawyers for death
row prisoners making final appeals. And not after
the passage, in 1996, of the Anti-Terrorism and
Effective Death Penalty Act, which greased the
wheels of the country's execution machinery by
sharply curtailing avenues for appeals and
rendering new developments like the ones in
Davis' case too little too late. And certainly
not in the context of the 11th Circuit, whose
courts had no problem signing off on an execution
in Alabama in late January, while the rest of the
country has executions on hold pending a Supreme
Court decision on the constitutionality of lethal
injection. Davis is not just the victim of a
corrupt police investigation; he is the victim of
a system designed to railroad prisoners to the
execution chamber. What the Supreme Court ruling
shows in this case, says Adams, is that "the
rules really seem to favor finality over fairness."

Barring a successful appeal to the U.S. Supreme
Court, Davis will once again find himself at the
mercy of the state parole board. Asked if there
is reason to be optimistic given the board's past
attention to the revelations in his case, Adams
said, "Boy, you know, it's really hard to feel
optimistic about it today." But when it comes to
fighting for the life of an innocent man, there's
not much choice. "You've got to be optimistic."

"KNOW THY ENEMY"..."He who fails to learn from History, is doomed to repeat it's errors"..."For we wrestle not against flesh & blood..."..."Quitters NEVER win, & winners NEVER quit!"
Re: Mother of Six Killed in Drug Raid #149572
10/16/2008 11:11 AM
10/16/2008 11:11 AM
Tulsa
Administrator
Administrator
Tulsa
Gee, what a shock. :rolleyes:

Eight months after Lima police Sgt. Joseph Chevalia killed Tarika Wilson and blew the hand off here infant son, an internal review found he did not violate any department guidelines.

Chavalia fired blindly into Wilson’s bedroom when he mistook the sound of another officer shooting the home’s dogs for hostile gunfire during a drug raid.

News story here.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Re: Mother of Six Killed in Drug Raid #149573
10/16/2008 11:18 AM
10/16/2008 11:18 AM
Trapped in Rhode Island
L
Lord Vader Offline
Lord Vader  Offline
L
Trapped in Rhode Island
did any of us really expect a different result.

Doktor Jeep (who edited this) says: Dude I know how you feel but please be careful what you post.

VINCE AUT MORIRE (Conquer or Die)
Re: Mother of Six Killed in Drug Raid #149574
10/16/2008 03:14 PM
10/16/2008 03:14 PM
Colorado
Patriot Offline
Patriot  Offline
Colorado
There are some out there that are playing Santa Claus!! They are making a list and checking it twice! BTW, it is getting close to christmas huh??

Page 1 of 2 1 2

©>
©All information posted on this site is the private property of the individual author and AWRM.net and may not be reproduced without permission. © 2001-2020 AWRM.net All Rights Reserved.