01/21/2010 04:18 AM
01/21/2010 04:18 AM
Tulsa
airforce Online content OP
Administrator
airforce  Online Content OP
Administrator
Tulsa
Ordinarily, something like this would make my eyeballs explode . This morning, for some reason, I just find it absolutely hilarious. From the press release of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee:

Jan 20, 2010
Re-Run Hanna Returns, Remains Committed to Out of Touch Extremists, Policies

While Richard Hanna is only 15 months removed from being rejected by Upstate New Yorkers, his commitment to extremist groups and their out of touch policies is just as strong as ever. Hanna’s out of touch principles remain at odds with the best interest of Upstate New Yorkers and as a result, he shouldn’t expect this second campaign to end any differently than his first.

While making today’s announcement that he will once again run for Congress in New York’s 24th district, Hanna also launched a new campaign website where he shamelessly touts his ties to the CATO Institute, a right wing extremist group that has long been a vocal advocate for extremist, unfair trade policies that would allow companies to ship American jobs overseas.

“The fact that Hanna is touting his leadership role in a group that prides its commitment to unfair trade policies that send American jobs overseas is downright shameful,” said Shripal Shah, Northeast Regional Press Secretary at the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee. “What Republicans like Richard Hanna fail to grasp is that these are exactly the kinds of George Bush policies that got our economy in this mess in the first place and now is the time to turn the page, not go back.”

“Hanna’s commitment to these unfair trade practices speaks volumes about how grossly out of touch he is when it comes to Upstate New York families. He should expect Upstaters to reject his extremist positions this November just like they did in 2008.”

BACKGROUND:

Hanna’s own campaign website shamelessly talks up his ties to the CATO Institute. “He is a sustaining member of the CATO Institute, having traveled to Russia as part of an international study group. He is also a frequent attendee of the Milken Institute's Global Conference and a member of the Foundation on Economic Education.” [Hanna Campaign Website, accessed 1/20/10]

The CATO Institute is a right wing extremist group that has long advocated for unfair trade policies regardless of their impact on American jobs. CATO has been one of the leading advocates for unfair trade deals and believes that increases in unemployment should not prevent enacting new trade deals. The CATO Policy Handbook specifically says Congress should “avoid using trade deficits and concerns about employment levels as excuses for imposing trade restrictions” as it calls for the US to move away from “reciprocity’’ and “level playing fields.” [CATO Policy Handbook, 6th ed, Chapter 64]
Um, for the record, the Cato Institute is a libertarian think tank, dedicated to individual liberty, free markets, and peace. Obviously, a dangerous right-wing extremist group. laugh

Onward and upward,
airforce

Re: CATO Is a "Right Wing Extremist Group" #150440
01/21/2010 06:07 AM
01/21/2010 06:07 AM
Upstate New York
T
Tahawus Offline
Tahawus  Offline
T
Upstate New York
Thanks airforce. This is my CD and I voted for Hanna the last time around. It was a really close race. It should turn out different this time.

Re: CATO Is a "Right Wing Extremist Group" #150441
01/21/2010 12:37 PM
01/21/2010 12:37 PM
Tulsa
airforce Online content OP
Administrator
airforce  Online Content OP
Administrator
Tulsa
Originally posted by Tahawus:
Thanks airforce. This is my CD and I voted for Hanna the last time around. It was a really close race. It should turn out different this time.
Great! Since you're "on the ground," you should be getting info faster than I can. Keep us updated on Hanna's campaign.

The thing I find so funny about this is the CATO Institute is actually to the "left" of President Obama and the Democrats on most issues. When it comes to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, the War on Drugs, indefinite detention, state secrets, government transparency, torture, government surveillance, and eminent domain, CATO has taken positions that you would think the Democrats would have taken.

If CATO is an extremist right-wing group, just where does that put President Obama? The fact is, CATO held President Bush's feet to the fire on constitutional issues a lot more than the spineless Democrats did.

Another reason why I don't go by that pervasive left-right description of issues.

OK. Rant over.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Re: CATO Is a "Right Wing Extremist Group" #150442
01/21/2010 04:16 PM
01/21/2010 04:16 PM
A 105-11FF Somewhere in the C...
C
coydog Offline
coydog  Offline
C
A 105-11FF Somewhere in the C...
Originally posted by Tahawus:
Would be nice to see. I am sure we are stuck with Hinchey here for a while. When NY started letting college kids vote (including out of staters) localy rather then in their home state or town any areas with hard left politically active collages (ie: New Paltz) can be screwed. mad

"State a moral case to a ploughman & a professor. The former will decide it as well, & often better than the latter,
because he has not been led astray by artificial rules."

©>
©All information posted on this site is the private property of the individual author and AWRM.net and may not be reproduced without permission. © 2001-2020 AWRM.net All Rights Reserved.