DPD investigates shooting of three officers by 911 caller . by REBECCA LOPEZ

http://www.wfaa.com/news/crime/DPD-I...124107339.html

DALLAS - Three Dallas police officers were shot Monday night, hit by bullet fragments.

Steven Jones, of Dallas, was arrested in the case and is accused of aggravated assault on a police officer.

But, there are questions about the case and what happened that night.

The Dallas Morning News and News 8 have learned police are investigating how the 911 call was handled

Jones said he didn't know when he shot his weapon Monday night that he was shooting at Dallas police officers.

“I had no idea they were police," he said. "If they identified themselves, I didn't hear them say it because if I knew, I would have gone and opened the door."

It all started at the Diamond Creek Apartments. Jones' cousin had been shot during a big fight at the complex. Jones pulled his cousin into an apartment.

“I drug him into the hallway and he was bleeding real bad and I called 911," he said.

The Dallas Morning News reported that Jones repeatedly told the 911 operator he believed the suspects were at his door, where he heard someone banging.

"I'm telling the 911 operator, 'Please hurry, they are trying to break in the house,'" he said. "So, I was scared for my life."

The operator told him officers were on their way to help, but didn't tell Jones the officers were already at his door.

Leeann Foster was standing near the apartment when officers arrive.

“They said, 'Get back,' first," Foster said. "They had their guns at the door, so I was like, 'Don't shoot in there because if they are in there, they are innocent.'"

Witnesses claim the officers didn't identify themselves.

“Not one time did I hear them announce themselves," Foster said.

The officers said they did. In a police report obtained by the Dallas Morning News, officers stated, "We yelled verbal commands and knocked on the door to the apartment multiple times."

But, there were other issues. It's unclear if officers knew there were two people in the apartment, not just the injured person.

Also, the officers may have not known Jones was on the phone with dispatchers, telling them he feared the suspects were trying to break inside.

So, officers kicked in the door.

“When the door swung open, I fired the gun and I realized it was the police and I dropped the gun and put my hands up," Jones said.

Jones repeatedly told the officers, "Please don't shoot."

The officers said they thought they were going in to help an injured person. Jones said he was waiting for the officers to help.

The case is now under investigation to determine if there was a communication breakdown, leading to the near-fatal situation.

"The time for war has not yet come, but it will come and that soon, and when it does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the scabbard." Gen. T.J. Jackson, March 1861