And here's a reminder, in case you forget. At the age of 14, Elaine Riddick had her only child. She said she was raped. The state of North Carolina said she was feeble-minded and promiscuous, and had her sterilized.

..."I've always been able to take care of myself - I've never been promiscuous," Riddick says. "So how can people use these things to describe a child that had been abandoned? Or that had been raped by the neighbor and then again, raped by the state of North Carolina."

What happened to Riddick in North Carolina happened to more than 60,000 people in 32 states, from the 1920's to the 1970s under state-sanctioned sterilization programs aimed at cutting welfare costs.

"The people who were the focus of this movement were the dispossessed of society," says Paul Lombardo, of Georgia State University's College of Law. "In some cases, simply people of color."...
$20,000 seems like a pretty chintzy settlement, considering what happened to her. But she isn't likely to see even that anytime soon.

Onward and upward,
airforce