Print Thread
Intersting thing just happened, open to suggestions #167364
07/06/2018 09:24 PM
07/06/2018 09:24 PM
N.E. Wa.
Kelldor42 Offline OP
Kelldor42  Offline OP
N.E. Wa.
So, here I am up on my mountain, getting half of the permanent install on my solar panels done this week with a friend of mine more knowledgeable than I at such things. It's going great. Things are looking up. I got a call from a guy who owns property up here, but lives hundreds of miles away. He tells me that there is a forest fire blazing nearby. I do some searching on the web, couldn't find anything. I asked another set of neighbors and they confirmed it, and told me the name of the area nearby, and with that I was able to look it up, and sure enough. I have high winds atm but they are going the opposite direction fortunately. It's like 95F atm.

They told me that they found out about the fire from an alert through facebook from our county Sheriffs page.

I don't use facebook. Never have, and for obvious reasons, but this does highlight for me a serious problem that I had better resolve. Objectively I can say I have an intelligence gap where there is critical information available through open source intelligence, but it's not getting to me. In 1 of Sam Culper's classes I took last year (Advanced Intel Analyses in HUMINT and OSINT) there was a program in Linux they used to automate open source intel gathered from social media pages you tell it to watch, where it automatically sends emails to your inbox X number of times per day with the details of every new post. In this exercise we were tracking the activities of ANTIFA type groups. I wish I could remember the name of the program Sam used. Of course, you need to make accounts on these social media web sites though.

Questions:

1) Do you use social media for gathering HUMINT/OSINT?
2) If you do not for obvious privacy and OPSEC concerns, what do you do to gather critical information locally in real-time? Local news? Web? TV? Ham?
3) Should today's experience cause me to re-examine my exposure to social media? I have none.

2 things that I can think of right away that I had better get serious about are 1) I need a police scanner, and 2) I need a Ham setup and license. There is an AMMRoN network here, and they are in good with the County Sheriff, who is known to be a good one and well liked by the community, (I'm new in this AO but learning this was 1 reason why I chose this location.)

In closing, this was an interesting learning experience for me. There's 1 way in and 1 way out, so if a fire, or other threat, was between me and my only exit, I'd potentially be hosed. There's people up the road from me quite a ways who have to evacuate right now. I pray they are all OK, but I'm also glad that it's not my place that is being threatened atm. Next time it could be though. I need to be more ready, and better informed. I'm open to any ideas or thoughts. Thanks.

https://mtc.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/BA...sionId=4t5.0tXamTaMhBZwfXljf3ZmZOMXKupj "Honestly, um, there are things more important than your life, and freedom is one of them."
Reply Quote
Re: Intersting thing just happened, open to suggestions [Re: Kelldor42] #167365
07/06/2018 10:12 PM
07/06/2018 10:12 PM
A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC
ConSigCor Online content

ConSigCor  Online Content

A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC
You just opened a can of worms.

There are many ways to do this without social media.

If you don't have these items pick them up asap.

You need a good weather alert radio like the Midland WR-120 NOAA Public Alert-Certified Weather Radio with SAME, . Program it, leave it on 24/7 and let it run.

Next, find a decent old style am/fm radio and set it to the local news/talk channel. Keep this running in the background. Plus it's good for long range monitoring of the big stations at night.

Then pick up a good CB radio with sideband. Do whatever it takes to get you're neighbors to do the same. Use it like an old school party line. Pick a "home channel" and everyone leaves it running 24/7. Bam you now have a neighborhood intercom.

Finally, pick up a good basicscanner like the Uniden BC125AT 500-Channel Handheld. Doesn't have to be fancy with the latest digital mode bells and whistles. You'll want to program all your local VFD's, Search and Rescue, County road dept., light and power and the sheriffs dept.

It is especially important to monitor ALL of these resources during severe weather or fire season. If you do you'll hear a heads up when anything is happening in your A/O.

And yeah, get your license and expand your transmit capabilities.

Last edited by ConSigCor; 07/07/2018 07:30 AM.

"The time for war has not yet come, but it will come and that soon, and when it does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the scabbard." Gen. T.J. Jackson, March 1861
Reply Quote
Re: Intersting thing just happened, open to suggestions [Re: Kelldor42] #167366
07/06/2018 11:17 PM
07/06/2018 11:17 PM
Tulsa
airforce Offline
Administrator
airforce  Offline
Administrator
Tulsa
I'm on Facebook, but I'm involved in politics so I just about have to be. And really, it's the best way to keep tabs on your state and local elected representatives. I want to know what my city councilman and state representative are doing, as well as the various city commissions. News organizations only do a half-assed job, at best. And, well, FB is good for keeping tabs on other organizations and groups that I want to keep track on.

I would rather that everyone were on MeWe, which offers a lot more privacy. But everyone uses Facebook, and they're likely to keep doing so for the foreseeable future.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Reply Quote
Re: Intersting thing just happened, open to suggestions [Re: Kelldor42] #167370
07/07/2018 05:03 PM
07/07/2018 05:03 PM
A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC
ConSigCor Online content

A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC
Kelldor, before I forget, here a series of videos you need to watch.

Fire Protection Now and in WROL

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgyniw62b3ZO3RgCljpjdwOm3qMFL7Uh1

"The time for war has not yet come, but it will come and that soon, and when it does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the scabbard." Gen. T.J. Jackson, March 1861
Reply Quote
Re: Intersting thing just happened, open to suggestions [Re: Kelldor42] #167373
07/08/2018 12:43 AM
07/08/2018 12:43 AM
N.E. Wa.
Kelldor42 Offline OP
Kelldor42  Offline OP
N.E. Wa.
Thx for the replies folks. I just ordered the Midland, and am going to bid on the Uniden in hopes of saving money. I bought a CB for my rig a while back, but need one for the cabin as well. Put a bug in 1 of my neighbors ears too on getting one. If I ever get on FB, it will also be to track individuals, groups, orgs, etc. that I view as threats, or to join ones that will alert me of threats. I hadn't thought about using it to keep tabs on local politics. Makes sense. I remember looking into WeMe when you posted about it on the old board. We had a really bad storm here 2 weeks ago and it knocked the cell tower out. I went into town to see what's going on and power was out. I had power being off-grid on solar, but I still had no cellular coms, so no internet as well. Will watch those vids soon. Thx again for the ideas.

https://mtc.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/BA...sionId=4t5.0tXamTaMhBZwfXljf3ZmZOMXKupj "Honestly, um, there are things more important than your life, and freedom is one of them."
Reply Quote
Re: Intersting thing just happened, open to suggestions [Re: Kelldor42] #167376
07/08/2018 10:17 AM
07/08/2018 10:17 AM
A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC
ConSigCor Online content

A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC
Kelldor, that's the thing about modern conveniences like cellphones and the internet. They're great when they work; but people have forgot how to live without them or how we lived before they existed. Too many folks depend on someone elses infrastructure and that's a bad plan.

Radio's on the other hand are a one time investment and you have total control of access and use. Plus there are no monthly fees to pay.
You already have solar power so your not dependent on the utility company to keep things running.

CB is good for local communication out to about 20-40 miles depending on your location. CB used to be extremely overcrowded but has quietened down a lot since it's heyday. Most people live on facebook now, so CB can be a useful tool once again. AmRRON is pretty active in your area so when you get your license be sure and hook up with them. Then you'll have regional comms over a much larger area.

Reply Quote
Re: Intersting thing just happened, open to suggestions [Re: Kelldor42] #167394
07/09/2018 10:04 AM
07/09/2018 10:04 AM
In the Mountains
N
North Force Offline
North Force  Offline
N
In the Mountains
This site can help - Shows all fires throughout country and you can select the one you need info on to get updates.

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/

"To achieve One World Government it is necessary to remove from the minds of men their individualism, their loyalty to family traditions and national identification."
~ Brock Chisholm, when director of UN World Health Organization
Reply Quote
Quick Reply

Options HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Moderated by  airforce, ConSigCor 

©>
©All information posted on this site is the private property of the individual author and AWRM.org, and may not be reproduced without permission. © 2001-2018 AWRM.net All Rights Reserved.