Print Thread
California Shutting Down Ham Radio Networks #171572
10/12/2019 09:29 AM
10/12/2019 09:29 AM
A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC
ConSigCor Offline OP
ConSigCor  Offline OP
A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC
California is proof that you can't fix stupid. First they shut down the power grid and now this.

California Shutting Down Ham Radio Networks Despite Recent Wildfires, Blackouts
Claims emergency radio services are no longer a benefit

By Kit Daniels | INFOWARS.COM Friday, October 11, 2019

California is trying to snuff out ham radio operators in the state by claiming their emergency services are no longer a benefit despite recent blackouts and the ongoing threat of wildfires.

The California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (Cal Fire) notified radio operators that they can no longer operate network repeaters, which make ham radios possible by extending their range, unless they pay significant rental fees for using public land.

“…With constantly changing technological advances, there is no longer the same [emergency] benefit to [the] state as previously provided,” reads the letter Cal Fire sent to operators. “Therefore, the department no longer financially supports ham operators, radios or tenancy.”

The department also apparently claims that to have an rental agreement in place, there’s a $2500 “technical analysis fee” and a “lease administration cost” which ranges from $3000-$5000.

Ironically, Cal Fire also sent a “Wildfire Action Plan” to residents which advises them to have a “communications plan.”

“While the written advice is great, Cal Fire is taking action THAT WILL DESTROY THE critical and vital Ham Radio Repeater System Infrastructure and network which is necessary for the ‘communications plan’ and safety measures which Cal Fire and the Sheriff advises should be set up by communities and families,” reads a legal letter written in response to the notice sent to radio operators. “The FACT IS – when there is a complete communication failure (no phones, no cell phones, no internet, no reverse 911, no code red, no ability to dial 911, and no ability to warn people who are asleep at 2:00 AM in the morning of a raging wildfire, etc…,) ALL of the Cal Fire and Sheriff recommendations go up in smoke.”

The letter also provides examples of recent use of ham radios during emergencies, including when Shasta County declared an emergency earlier this year:

In Shingletown, all electrical power was OUT. There was no land line service, no cell phones, no internet, no reverse 911, no code red, no ability to dial 911. As one Shingletown resident put it – If I had a heart attack I had no ability to get help! That resident is now part of his neighborhood emergency SER PLAN radio team. Residents were snow bound. Snow depths ranged from several feet to four feet. THE ONLY COMMUNICATIONS WE HAD WAS THE SER HAM PLAN WHICH UTILIZED ONE OF THE REPEATERS YOU ARE SEEKING TO HAVE REMOVED.

But most recently, over a half-million Californians lost their electricity due to a planned blackout triggered by fears that the state’s power lines can’t handle heavy wind without risking a wildfire.

“The blackouts will impact 34 counties in Central and Northern California,” reported the LA Times. “It would be the biggest power shutdown so far as utilities across the state attempt to reduce wildfire risk due to heavy wind.”

Ham repeaters are typically equipped with diesel generators to keep radio broadcasts running during a power outage.

"The time for war has not yet come, but it will come and that soon, and when it does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the scabbard." Gen. T.J. Jackson, March 1861
Re: California Shutting Down Ham Radio Networks [Re: ConSigCor] #171573
10/12/2019 12:05 PM
10/12/2019 12:05 PM
Tulsa
airforce Online content
Administrator
airforce  Online Content
Administrator
Tulsa
Why anyone would continue to live in California - like my nephew does - is beyond me.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Re: California Shutting Down Ham Radio Networks [Re: ConSigCor] #171574
10/12/2019 12:12 PM
10/12/2019 12:12 PM
Omaha Nebraska
Huskerpatriot Offline
Huskerpatriot  Offline
Omaha Nebraska
I expect that we will be seeing much more news like this, not only from the PRK... but increasingly from other states as well.

"Government at its best is a necessary evil, and at it�s worst, an intolerable one."
 Thomas Paine (from "Common Sense" 1776)
Re: California Shutting Down Ham Radio Networks [Re: ConSigCor] #171576
10/12/2019 12:17 PM
10/12/2019 12:17 PM
Tulsa
airforce Online content
Administrator
airforce  Online Content
Administrator
Tulsa
Over and out? Ham radio operators everywhere are up in arms over this. I have a feeling this ain't over.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Re: California Shutting Down Ham Radio Networks [Re: ConSigCor] #171580
10/12/2019 04:51 PM
10/12/2019 04:51 PM
A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC
ConSigCor Offline OP
ConSigCor  Offline OP
A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC
Stupidity like this is why I constantly tell people to get their communications house in order. You can never depend on someone elses infrastructure. It will not be there when you need it.

It's not that complicated to set up you own comm system that is under your complete control. You don't need the cellular / internet network to communicate with the people who matter to you. Nor do you need their network to gather news and intell.

"The time for war has not yet come, but it will come and that soon, and when it does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the scabbard." Gen. T.J. Jackson, March 1861
Re: California Shutting Down Ham Radio Networks [Re: airforce] #171581
10/12/2019 05:36 PM
10/12/2019 05:36 PM
West
Archangel1 Offline
Archangel1  Offline
West
Originally Posted by airforce
Why anyone would continue to live in California - like my nephew does - is beyond me.

Onward and upward,
airforce

The weather is awesome
It doesn't get cold enough to really require a heater for more than a few nights of the year. Wear a sweater and add another blanket.
I don't have to shovel snow.
No hurricanes
Few tornadoes
Ocean nearby

Water is a problem
Bat S#!t crazy politicians with questionable critical thinking skills
High taxes
Damn traffic

"Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always Bad Men." Lord Actin 1887

I fear we live in evil times...
Re: California Shutting Down Ham Radio Networks [Re: ConSigCor] #171582
10/12/2019 05:40 PM
10/12/2019 05:40 PM
West
Archangel1 Offline
Archangel1  Offline
West
Originally Posted by ConSigCor
California is proof that you can't fix stupid. First they shut down the power grid and now this.

Look at all the crazy things happening around the US. Planning for a war methinks...

"Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always Bad Men." Lord Actin 1887

I fear we live in evil times...
Re: California Shutting Down Ham Radio Networks [Re: ConSigCor] #171602
10/14/2019 04:25 PM
10/14/2019 04:25 PM
A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC
ConSigCor Offline OP
ConSigCor  Offline OP
A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC
California Officials declare Ham Radio no longer a benefit; Demands Ham radio repeater infrastructure to be Removed

October 10, 2019 Off Grid Survival News,

The People’s Republic of California is at it again; through unelected state officials, California is severing ties to ham radio repeater owners throughout the state, jeopardizing the lives of millions of Californians who depend on these repeaters to operate during emergencies.

Last month, repeater operators were sent emails telling them the State would no longer allow them to operate repeaters on public land without paying substantial rental fees. In the letter sent by CAL FIRE, the state claims Ham operators no longer provide a benefit to the state or public safety. They claimed that “constantly changing technological advances” has made Ham radio obsolete during an emergency.

Keep in mind; this is a state that is currently shutting power down in 34 of its counties because its infrastructure cannot handle 20-30 mph winds without risking wildfire breakouts throughout the state.
What is a Ham Radio Repeater

An amateur radio repeater system is a two-way radio system that takes weaker or low-level amateur radio signals and retransmits them at a higher level or higher power so that the radio signal can cover longer distances without degradation. It is a vital part of the local emergency communications system, and Ham Radio operators have been using them for decades to provide support during disasters that take out local communication infrastructure.

Why would they remove something that is the last line of defense during a disaster?

What is infuriating here is people are going to die because of this decision. It costs the State of California nothing to allow these repeaters on public land; in fact, Ham Radio Operators pay for the equipment and maintain the equipment at their own cost. Ham Radio operators also make nothing from running these radio repeaters; they do so as a service to the public to help ensure the public’s safety during natural disasters and emergencies.
Here is a good explanation of what’s going on from a Ham Radio operator in California

While paying billions of dollars a year to cater to illegal immigrants and welfare bums, California is now targeting hard-working Ham operators who provide critical and vital Disaster Emergency Communications. These people have absolutely lost their minds!

There is a nationwide effort to Kill Ham Radio

Even most Hams haven’t taken notice, but in 2012 the federal government launched FirstNet, a public safety nationwide broadband network that many in the government think will make Ham radio operators obsolete. In reality, its nothing more than a $47 Billion Federal Cell Phone Network that itself is already obsolete. In fact, it needs LOTS of infrastructure to function, and it creates multiple, single points of failure.

The real story here is Ham Radio is a threat to the government. We make them look stupid! They spend billions on infrastructure that breaks down, while we can literally take a hundred bucks in equipment, some random wires, and in minutes set up a radio system that can communicate with anyone in the world. Hell, I’ve used my kid’s slinky, some Television Coax Cable, and a solar battery system to build a mobile rig that I’ve used to talk to people around the world — You can check out the Radio Rig Here.

They don’t want the public to realize that we can take care of ourselves, and do a much better and cheaper job doing so!

Re: California Shutting Down Ham Radio Networks [Re: ConSigCor] #171605
10/15/2019 10:18 AM
10/15/2019 10:18 AM
Tennessee
Hawk45 Offline
Moderator Officer Contributor
Hawk45  Offline
Moderator Officer Contributor
Tennessee
Kalifornication is acting out the whore that it is today. Unless folks pay big time, then f&% you! Or actually NOT going to screw you the way you want.

I saw a meme the other day that showed to a small amount how bad. It showed the signs for two gas stations two miles apart. One in Kalifornication and one in Arizona. All grades of fuel was exactly $2.00 HIGHER at the Kalifornication one!

A once beautiful conservative state has gone over to the Communists! Now it is up to the Patriots in the rest to prevent it spreading farther than it already has. If New York City is quarantined, the rest of the State of New York can be saved. Same for Chicago and Illinois. Taxachuettes is a complete write off!

©>
©All information posted on this site is the private property of the individual author and AWRM.net and may not be reproduced without permission. © 2001-2020 AWRM.net All Rights Reserved.