Print Thread
Post SHTF farming? #175486
02/28/2021 06:53 PM
02/28/2021 06:53 PM
Omaha Nebraska
Huskerpatriot Online content OP
Huskerpatriot  Online Content OP
Omaha Nebraska
Living in the heartland and having family that still farms, I have often wondered what all these farms would look like if there was a meltdown in the economy and supply network.

No diesel, no hybrid seeds, no fertilizer, no herbicide/insecticide/fungicide, no GPS system, no vast markets for bulk commodities...

With these farms off-line, the food supply of the nation and world would very quickly grind to a famine inducing halt very quickly.

Several key points of considerations that I’ve thought of.
1. Need to have a decent supply of non-gmo open pollinated seeds of several species in safe long term storage
2. Need to have enough diesel on hand to run farm (on a smaller scale) for a year
3. Have a screw oil press and oil filtration system
4. Have the ability to run tractors on SVO (strait vegetable oil)
5. Have the small scale equipment to grow multiple different types of these crops. Most farms these days (in this part of the country) only grow corn and soybeans
6. Have equipment to be able to clean, sort, bag/bucket/barrel these crops
7. Local security to keep this setup secure

If this were to go down, having the ability to produce your own seed, fuel, and process the harvest.... it would be EXTREMELY valuable. Not only valuable from a survival perspective, but valuable financially, and valuable politically. Neighbors, rivals, criminal gangs, bandit hordes, government agencies would seek to “acquire” control or possession of this setup for these reasons.

Just some thoughts that I wanted to put out there to start a discussion.

"Government at its best is a necessary evil, and at it�s worst, an intolerable one."
 Thomas Paine (from "Common Sense" 1776)
Re: Post SHTF farming? [Re: Huskerpatriot] #175487
02/28/2021 07:01 PM
02/28/2021 07:01 PM
Omaha Nebraska
Huskerpatriot Online content OP
Huskerpatriot  Online Content OP
Omaha Nebraska
Crops of importance...
- Cereal crops (wheat, rye, oats, triticale)
- Row crops (corn, sorghum, edible dry beans)
- Oilseed crops (camelina, canola)
- Garden crops (potatoes, carrots, onions, squash)

I would expect a LOT of formerly very productive fields fields... idle and growing weeds. Any parties willing and able to sell seeds and fuel would be VERY welcomed and very well rewarded.

"Government at its best is a necessary evil, and at it�s worst, an intolerable one."
 Thomas Paine (from "Common Sense" 1776)

Moderated by  airforce, ConSigCor 

©>
©All information posted on this site is the private property of the individual author and AWRM.net and may not be reproduced without permission. © 2001-2020 AWRM.net All Rights Reserved.