07/26/2006 03:49 PM
07/26/2006 03:49 PM
Seattle - that place - ε&...
D
Doktor_Jeep Offline OP
Doktor_Jeep  Offline OP

D
Seattle - that place - ε&...
Well I did the one dumb thing of the year today, my only one allowed. One more stunt like that and I can step off a bridge or eat a bullet.

I accidentally drilled a hole into a gas tank.

Fortunatly I did not blow myself up. Or maybe I did and this is from the grave. Last month a lightning bolt missed my head by 3' so it appears the Lord is not letting me off this mess of a world so easily.

So I had gasoline coming out of a 1/4" hole and wondering what to do about it, and quick!

What do to? What to do? It's all over the place! Nobody light a match (unless I'm laying in it, then go ahead).

What I ended up doing was cutting a piece of rubber tubing, and inserting that into the hole, then inserting a screw into it and snug it. The leak stopped, but not enough that I would trust it. I plan on a permanent fix this weekend but I don't see any leaking yet. I drove the car around for a bit and still no leaking.

What I will do later on is see about perfecting this idea into a quick fix emergency plug device for plugging bullet holes in tanks.

Anyone have any further ideas?

Fuel
Is running
Fuel
Is coming
Fuel
Is running
Down
Down
Down my face
Re: Dumb thing of the year and something learned #98525
07/26/2006 04:23 PM
07/26/2006 04:23 PM
Tulsa
airforce Online content
Administrator
airforce  Online Content
Administrator
Tulsa
Many, many years ago, a helicopter I happened to be flying in took a round in the oil tank. We made it back all right, but we quickly received another call to pick up wounded personnel.

Our crew chief picked up a small piece of scrap lumber, whittled a point on it, and jammed it into the oil tank.

It wasn't pretty, but the people we picked up weren't too particular. As best I remember,we flew another couple hours before getting the tank replaced.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Re: Dumb thing of the year and something learned #98526
07/29/2006 03:05 AM
07/29/2006 03:05 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Originally posted by airforce:
Many, many years ago, a helicopter I happened to be flying in took a round in the oil tank. We made it back all right, but we quickly received another call to pick up wounded personnel.

Our crew chief picked up a small piece of scrap lumber, whittled a point on it, and jammed it into the oil tank.

It wasn't pretty, but the people we picked up weren't too particular. As best I remember,we flew another couple hours before getting the tank replaced.

Onward and upward,
airforce
Hell, that's nothing! Many, many years ago we patched up shot up rotor blades with 100mph duct tape! laugh

Re: Dumb thing of the year and something learned #98527
07/29/2006 04:14 AM
07/29/2006 04:14 AM
Tulsa
airforce Online content
Administrator
airforce  Online Content
Administrator
Tulsa
Originally posted by RD6:
Hell, that's nothing! Many, many years ago we patched up shot up rotor blades with 100mph duct tape! laugh
Did you actually find someone brave enough to fly it? laugh

Onward and upward,
airforce

Moderated by  airforce, ConSigCor 

©>
©All information posted on this site is the private property of the individual author and AWRM.net and may not be reproduced without permission. © 2001-2020 AWRM.net All Rights Reserved.