Company A 25 Btn 14 FF
B
BoldFenianMan Offline OP
SNCO Contributor
BoldFenianMan  Offline OP
SNCO Contributor

B
Company A 25 Btn 14 FF
Any Reccomendations For Where and What Seeds To Procure For A Survivalists Garden?

War battered dogs are we
Fighters in every clime;
Fillers of trench and of grave,
Mockers bemocked by time,
War dogs hungry and grey,
Gnawing a naked bone,
Fighters in every clime-
Every cause but our own
-Emily Lawless"With the Wild Geese"
Re: Any Reccomendations For Seeds For A Survivalists Garden #98948
06/05/2007 08:41 AM
06/05/2007 08:41 AM
USA
A
A.Patriot2 Offline
NCO Contributor
A.Patriot2  Offline
NCO Contributor

A
USA
I am not sure as yet where to get em but, I have read that the best seeds are NON hybrid. Something about viability is better and that they create veggies with reusable seed. Hybrid are not good for seed several years out.

Here is an excerpt and web link:
While the popular trend these days has been toward only growing hybrids, this is not a good policy for folks aiming at self sufficiency. First of all, the seed of hybrid vegetables does not grow true, should you save your own seed. You may get what you want, or you may not get taste, productivity, or even appearance. Only open pollinated (or “heirloom” “traditional”) varieties will produce seed which, when saved and planted next year, will give you the same results as the parent plant.

You can study your seed catalogs carefully. Any listed as “Hybrid” or “F1” should be avoided. Get in the habit of saving your own seeds. This simple practice can cut your gardening costs down by 1/4 or 1/2. Seed saving is simple and very satisfying. Many seed catalogs, such as the ones published by Native Seeds/Search and Garden City Seeds, also have extensive information on seed-saving.

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/clay51.html

"In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot". Mark Twain - 1904
Re: Any Reccomendations For Seeds For A Survivalists Garden #98949
06/05/2007 05:24 PM
06/05/2007 05:24 PM
New York State
S
survivorjl Offline
NCO Contributor
survivorjl  Offline
NCO Contributor

S
New York State
You definitly want non-hybrid seeds for preparedness storage. As AP2s reply said you can become self sufficient by being able to save your own seeds.

I grow a big garden every summer and can some for winter and eat out of it all summer. For my regular garden I use mostly hybrid varieties because they are much more reliable producers this far north. I always dabble with some non hybrids too as they are what I have tucked away for storage for tough times when I can't buy seeds and must save my own. This also allows me to aclimate the non hybrid varieties to my area and also use up the old ones and freshen my supply. Just remember, If you are going to save the seeds from them, keep them away from your hybrid varieties so they won't cross polinate and spoil your seed crop.

Try www.superseeds.com they sell both hybrid and many non hybrid varieties and are a great company to deal with!

AP2-good link, I subscribe to Back Woods Home magazine, cool stuff.

He who endures until the end...

http://calltodecision.com/forum/index.php
Re: Any Reccomendations For Seeds For A Survivalists Garden #98950
06/05/2007 05:33 PM
06/05/2007 05:33 PM
washington
mak9030mag Online content
mak9030mag  Online Content
washington
Go with non hybred,this way you can recieve seed for the next year.Carrots-beets-chard have to winter over til the next year to produce seed.The way I do it first year you by seed,than from there on you have seed for the following year.

Mak
Re: Any Reccomendations For Seeds For A Survivalists Garden #98951
06/06/2007 02:30 PM
06/06/2007 02:30 PM
D 057 Btn 47 FF
T
The Greywolf Offline
The Greywolf  Offline
T
D 057 Btn 47 FF
Agree non-hybrid, but if you must start with a hybrid seed then you must be prepared to go at least three years to get good seeds that have reverted back. I start with plants from a nursry in a green house to get my own seeds.

I believe in absolute Freedom, as little interference from any government as possible...And I'll fight any man trying to take that away from me.

Jimmy Greywolf
Re: Any Reccomendations For Seeds For A Survivalists Garden #98952
06/09/2007 03:20 AM
06/09/2007 03:20 AM
The Confederate States of Amer...
A
alfa6foxtrot Offline
SNCO Contributor
alfa6foxtrot  Offline
SNCO Contributor

A
I buy mine from www.beprepared.com
They used to be emergency essentials.com (years ago). They sell non hybrid seeds in a #10 can (vacuum sealed) you can use now or store 'em.
GW, I thought hybrid seeds were sterile - and that's it, they never go back to reproducing (?)

Patriot Creed- I WILL NOT be disarmed. I WILL NOT run. I WILL NOT be a POW in my own Country.
Re: Any Reccomendations For Seeds For A Survivalists Garden #98953
06/11/2007 02:01 PM
06/11/2007 02:01 PM
West Virginia
T
Tobor Offline
Tobor  Offline
T
West Virginia
if you do buy the seeds in the #10 can do make sure you read the part about when it expires.. i had 2 cans of seeds and they had expired like 4 yrs ago and were a big flop in the garden..makes it really hard to feed the need when the veggies dont grow..

We've been fighting for a long time. We are outnumbered by the machines who are working around the clock, without quit. Humans have a strength that can not be measured. This is John Connor. If you are listening to this, you are the resistance."
Re: Any Reccomendations For Seeds For A Survivalists Garden #98954
06/11/2007 02:18 PM
06/11/2007 02:18 PM
A
alfa6foxtrot Offline
SNCO Contributor
alfa6foxtrot  Offline
SNCO Contributor

A
Good tip, I'll have to look at mine.
I think they're about 3 years old.
I guess the seeds don't last as long as the food does (in those cans).

Patriot Creed- I WILL NOT be disarmed. I WILL NOT run. I WILL NOT be a POW in my own Country.
Re: Any Reccomendations For Seeds For A Survivalists Garden #98955
07/10/2007 08:44 AM
07/10/2007 08:44 AM
California
C
Californian Offline
Californian  Offline
C
California
None of those posts actually answer dude's question about WHAT to grow. In cold weather (which is usually less populated and better to run to) Root and leaf crops do best. Carrots, Onions, Potatoes, Chard, Kale, Broccoli, Beets, Radishes, cabbage, lettuce... If there's snow you're best off with root crops.
Summers (if night temps are above freezing) can handle tomatoes, melons, chilis, cucumbers, zucchini, etc...
You're a pretty good bet with potatoes and onions about anywhere decently cold though.
Celery extracts salt from the ground, which you can then extract from the celery.
Native American references will likely give you a good idea of uses of native plants as well.

Re: Any Reccomendations For Seeds For A Survivalists Garden #98956
07/10/2007 09:20 AM
07/10/2007 09:20 AM
D 057 Btn 47 FF
T
The Greywolf Offline
The Greywolf  Offline
T
D 057 Btn 47 FF
Calhermit is right, You can grow all of the above but if you have a green house you can start them early to get a better yield. You should have some kind of grove also, apple, peach pear and so forth. You can grow tomato's in pot on a patio or deck as long as they get full sun. I talk to some people who don't grow crops they can buy cheaper then growing, that's fine if you are bartering for the crops with some other item or skill but if not you should grow or raise your food. potatoes can be grown from a good seed potato or seeds, I save some potato's from my last crop and store them in a cool (cold) dark place till I am ready to plant the next early spring. Then I sit them out and let them eye, cut them into pieces, each piece with an eye, plant them eye up about 18" apart. tomato's I crow from seeds in my greenhouse to give them an early start. If you want more info read Storey's basic country skills, by John and Martha Storey. It is a good guide for you that did not grow up with this knowledge. A good book to start with...

I believe in absolute Freedom, as little interference from any government as possible...And I'll fight any man trying to take that away from me.

Jimmy Greywolf

Moderated by  airforce, ConSigCor 

©>
©All information posted on this site is the private property of the individual author and AWRM.net and may not be reproduced without permission. © 2001-2020 AWRM.net All Rights Reserved.