Forums

Caching

Posted By: Rudy

Caching - 04/10/2007 01:19 PM

Bradley ammo cans work great. They are the tough plastic cans that hold 20 or so rounds of 25mm ammo. Both the top and bottom are removeable.
Posted By: Confed77

Re: Caching - 04/13/2007 09:41 PM

Noted.

What would be the best way to cache books? I'm thinking that we should at least concider it, if for no other reason than Bibles will be pretty darn scarce if "hate crime" laws are passed.

Would a plastic bin, or tote work for caching? Could it be sealed with grease on the plastic to plastic seal?
Posted By: inactive

Re: Caching - 04/13/2007 10:01 PM

I was thinking about caching some Bibles and some "subversive" books
I would put them in a ziploc bag, put the bag in a plastic bin, and pour wax over it.
Posted By: Tobor

Re: Caching - 04/14/2007 08:12 PM

as far as books im thinking that the seal a meal type thing might be good..you can make the bag any size you need and it heat seals the plastic..make sure you put a couple desicant packs in it before sealing..
Posted By: Colt.

Re: Caching - 04/14/2007 09:48 PM

I seem to remember something about ironing wax paper to form a sealed pouch, put that in a zip lock then in a plastic bin and it won't leak for a thousand years.
Posted By: ShieldWolf

Re: Caching - 04/22/2007 06:16 AM

Remember what ever metod you use the books must be absolutely free of moisture. When the tomb of Charlemain was opened several hundred years after his death they found two copies of his will. One placed in a glass container and sealed tight the other left in a vellum pouch on the body. The sealed containers contents loked like soup the moisture having condesened and destroying the document. The pouched docment was relativly intact if a litle stained.
Dessicant is stringly recomended.
Posted By: Rudy

Re: Caching - 04/22/2007 06:12 PM

The problem with the books printed today is there is a lot of acid used in the processing of the paper. The paper will probably fall apart.

I'd recomend finding them on the net and reprinting them on acid free paper. Vacuum seal them with desicant, just make certain that the desicant ISN'T touching the paper.
Posted By: inactive

Re: Caching - 04/22/2007 09:19 PM

What if I dusted the pages with baking soda or sodium hydroxide? Would that neutralize the acid?
Posted By: Tobor

Re: Caching - 04/29/2007 07:45 PM

for those that are cacheing or starting out i would like to offer dessicants and ziplock poly type bags in various sizes..i have a couple of "suppliers" in the mall where i work that are saving items for me..
they only know that i am using this stuff to keep my own stuff dry in a garage that has a wet/mold problem..if you want some pm me
© 2024 A WELL REGULATED MILITIA