dry yeast
4 cups sugar
1 (12 fluid ounce) can frozen

juice concentrate - any flavor
except citrus, thawed
3 1/2 quarts cold water, or as
needed
DIRECTIONS:
1. Combine the yeast, sugar and juice concentrate in a gallon jug. Fill the jug the rest of the way with cold water. Rinse out a large balloon, and fit it over the opening of the jug. Secure the balloon with a rubber band.
2. Place jug in a cool dark place. Within a day you will notice the balloon starting to expand. As the sugar turns to alcohol the gasses released will fill up the balloon. When the balloon is deflated back to size the wine is ready to drink. It takes about 6 weeks total.
Posted By: inactive

Re: home-made wine - 07/22/2007 05:09 PM

I also just tried fermenting honey, 1/4 cup honey per cup water. I put two cups water and 1/2 cup honey in a 1 liter water bottle and put in most of a yeast packet. The balloon I put over the top is like 1/4 inflated, it's been about 45 minutes. I'm supposed to wait until the balloon starts going down, because that means the yeast is dead. I have a feeling it won't take all that long. For the honey at least.
Posted By: Californian

Re: home-made wine - 07/22/2007 06:31 PM

I make home made wine, that recipe will work, can't tell ya much for the taste though. You can use juice from ANY plant material, instead of concentrates. Just be sure that the plant is not toxic.
Here's a website with some actual info and recipes for anyone interested:
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/

They also make 'pruno' in jail with the same basic method, but no yeast. Just juice/fruit, sugar, water, and a container.
Posted By: Californian

Re: home-made wine - 07/22/2007 06:32 PM

on a side note, if you ferment water (in a wine) does it sterilize it enough for drinking?
Posted By: inactive

Re: home-made wine - 07/22/2007 06:33 PM

Thanks
How long does it usually take for you? How long do you think the honey will take? The balloon is like 2/3 or 3/4 inflated right now... It's supposed to go up and then down I guess... here's a pic from earlier today.
[Linked Image]
© 2024 A WELL REGULATED MILITIA