Forums

Canning

Posted By: skyvalleysquirrel50

Canning - 09/22/2008 03:44 PM

Given the economic conditions out there now, I think it's time to bring back home canning. Since I never learned this skil, and most folks of my generation probabily never learned this I will post the link to the "national Center for Home Food Preservation". Yes there actully is such a thing. Yes we are probabily paying for it. I'm pissed too. Anyway here's the link. http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/index.html
Posted By: dreadstalker

Re: Canning - 09/22/2008 04:23 PM

Heck I thought just about everybody knew how to can.
Just something my whole family grew up doing and also the way most of my friends were raised.
Posted By: Tobor

Re: Canning - 09/22/2008 04:34 PM

and here is one for you squirrel ..granted its company bias but it has good info and links inside
http://www.freshpreserving.com/
Posted By: Colt

Re: Canning - 09/22/2008 05:25 PM

Originally posted by dreadstalker:
Heck I thought just about everybody knew how to can.
Just something my whole family grew up doing and also the way most of my friends were raised.
Same here... we bottle figs every year.

What I want to learn is how to pickle.
Posted By: Oldtimer

Re: Canning - 09/22/2008 07:44 PM

Originally posted by Colt:
Originally posted by dreadstalker:
[b] Heck I thought just about everybody knew how to can.
Same here... we bottle figs every year.

What I want to learn is how to pickle. [/b]
Get the Ball Blue Book from Wal-Mart. It goes into pickling.
Posted By: dreadstalker

Re: Canning - 09/22/2008 08:15 PM

You can also contact you local county extension office.
Ace hardware tests the gauges.

Re: Canning - 09/23/2008 08:42 AM

I remember when I was very young helping my grandmother can, but hardly anyone I know actully does it. I guess in certain parts of the country it's still widly done but it's kinda becoming a lost art.
Posted By: ShieldWolf

Re: Canning - 09/25/2008 09:08 AM

It's amazing how around here for years we have been able to pick up canning jars and supplies at flea markets and yard sales (kids selling off their parents stuffi guess). We have taken advantage and loaded up because canning has always been a way of life for us. This year though there aren't as many out there.

Perhaps some are waking up...
Posted By: The Greywolf

Re: Canning - 09/25/2008 07:49 PM

Hell, I have been pickled for years.

I use to love pickled eggs, and grew up with canning to.

It's not hard you just have to do everthing right,

otherwise well you know!!!
Posted By: Total Resistance

Re: Canning - 09/26/2008 07:03 AM

My wife uses a different technique for some canning.

She takes tomatoes and put an "X" in the bottom. Puts them into boiling water. When the "X" pulls apart its ready to peel. Peel the skin. Cut them up. But them in a sauce pan without water. Bring to a boil without burning over low heat.

Put your cannig jars in the oven at 200F. Lids are in hot water in a sauce pan.

Dump tomatoes into jars. As contents cool it will seal the lid.

You can do this and not require all the energy boiling a dozen jars for an hour would normally take. Something which may come in handy post SHTF when there isn't a lot of fuel available.

Re: Canning - 09/26/2008 12:49 PM

My grandmother used a similar technique. I'm not sure what it was but I know she did not usualy boil for an hour.
Posted By: STRATIOTES

Re: Canning - 09/26/2008 08:20 PM

Originally posted by Total Resistance:
My wife uses a different technique for some canning.

She takes tomatoes and put an "X" in the bottom. Puts them into boiling water. When the "X" pulls apart its ready to peel. Peel the skin. Cut them up. But them in a sauce pan without water. Bring to a boil without burning over low heat.

Put your cannig jars in the oven at 200F. Lids are in hot water in a sauce pan.

Dump tomatoes into jars. As contents cool it will seal the lid.

You can do this and not require all the energy boiling a dozen jars for an hour would normally take. Something which may come in handy post SHTF when there isn't a lot of fuel available.
That is OK for high sugar fruits like Peaches but the acid in vegies can develope botulism and why pressure cookers are used because the pressure allows higher heat, the screw lids are tightened just while hot so as the jars cool it pulls a vacuum in the jar.

Water bath is quick and easy method but I am not a fan of canning as it destroys all nutritional value, alternative power for freezers can be expensive but at least the food holds it nutritional value.
© 2024 A WELL REGULATED MILITIA