Forums

Beans

Posted By: RugerNiner

Beans - 12/30/2008 08:51 AM

What kind of dry beans are best for long term storage?
How long will they last in storage before having to use them?
I want to store rice and beans in a 5 gallon bucket this week. I guess I'll buy a couple different kinds of rice also. Instant rice is nice to have in my backpack.
Posted By: dreadstalker

Re: Beans - 12/30/2008 09:05 AM

I store red beans as well as pinto beans and navy beans. whatever kind you pack use mylar bags inside the 5 gall. buckets and dry ice.
Posted By: SBL

Re: Beans - 12/30/2008 09:27 AM

Lentils are also very good, very cheap, and very high in fiber.
Posted By: C. M. Wolf

Re: Beans - 12/30/2008 10:18 AM

Small Navy/White beans are good and don't have to soak quite as long when you do go to cook them.
Barley, peas, black-eyed peas, dried corn, etc are good also.

The combination of Beans and Rice make a perfect protien when eaten together. Mix in some other vegatables and maybe some meats and you've got nearly a stew that can keep you on your feet for a few days.

IHTH

Michael
Posted By: 300H&HMag

Re: Beans - 12/30/2008 04:17 PM

I second the lentils idea they are much quicker to cook also. Don't forget to store what you will eat though. It would suck to have 50lbs of black beans if you can't stand to eat them.

Beans + Rice = perfect protien?

I had heard that you needed corn also for that combination, never did do the research to confirm it though. A (mostly) vegetarian I knew told me that and since I eat meat I never worried about it much.

Also you probably want brown rice for that combination as most of the nutritional content is in the bran. It is harder to store though.
Posted By: virginiaJim

Re: Beans - 01/05/2009 10:52 AM

Originally posted by SGTBloodLoss:
Lentils are also very good, very cheap, and very high in fiber.
Yep, I keep lentils and pinto. Almost any try bean can keep for a good while as long as you have the conditions right. But for me, I dont need much more than pinto and lentils, been eating them every week for the last 40 years. Love em in soup, chili, on the side with pork, chicken, rabbit, deer.

Get some white rice as well and you can do just about anything.
Posted By: Imagrunt

Re: Beans - 01/18/2009 08:02 PM

Originally posted by 300H&HMag:

Also you probably want brown rice for that combination as most of the nutritional content is in the bran. It is harder to store though.
Brown rice, because of the essential Omega oils in the grain, is twice as perishable as white rice.

Brown rice needs to be stored in mylar with nitrogen, and will last up to 4 years if properly packed and stored.

Brown rice can serve as an entire meal.
Posted By: 300H&HMag

Re: Beans - 01/19/2009 07:23 AM

Thanks Imagrunt... I couldn't remember the details.
Posted By: WisPatriot

Re: Beans - 01/20/2009 12:00 AM

Vitamins and anything to fill your gut will do just fine. I agree with picking the beans that you like to eat and ones that are easy to cook and store.
Posted By: Crimson Wolf

Re: Beans - 01/22/2009 07:19 AM

Originally posted by Imagrunt:
Originally posted by 300H&HMag:
[b]
Brown rice, because of the essential Omega oils in the grain, is twice as perishable as white rice.

Brown rice needs to be stored in mylar with nitrogen, and will last up to 4 years if properly packed and stored.

Brown rice can serve as an entire meal. [/b]
Actually white rice has an idenfinte shelf life.

I have never seen brown rice due to the oils in it. No one packs the stuff for long term storage. The best estimates I have seen is a storage life of 6months when keep in a freezer.

As for the origanal question: Store ONLY the type of beans you eat now. If you'r not use to lentils, you very well might not eat them.
© 2024 A WELL REGULATED MILITIA