Forums

Food Buckets

Posted By: ced242s

Food Buckets - 10/09/2009 10:32 PM

I have recently started picking up some smaller sized buckets from my friends work to eventually use for storage. They will probably be food, too small for water, but they held pickles and i cant get the smell out. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
Posted By: pofb

Re: Food Buckets - 10/10/2009 01:19 AM

Hot water and a small amount of bleach. Let sit and/or scrub. Rinse out again.
Posted By: Tobor

Re: Food Buckets - 10/10/2009 08:47 AM

im thinking that that since pickles are a vinegar(acid) base that water and baking soda would be better
Posted By: Etech

Re: Food Buckets - 10/10/2009 09:16 AM

CED

Tobor has a good idea, worked in the past for a friend that acquired some buckets similar to yours. Baking soda with hot water, soak at least 24 hrs.

Check out any local Bakery or Doughnut shops, they used to give them away - not lately around here though...

Larry ~Etech
Posted By: Tobor

Re: Food Buckets - 10/10/2009 04:28 PM

yea even my supply at wally world has seemed to dry up or maybe i just talked to the wrong person..we just emptied out our 1 yr buckets and will be eating them over the next month..will have to refill and put away for the next year..i have a couple pickle buckets as well the smell only gets less it will take time to leach out completely.
Posted By: Bona_na_Croin

Re: Food Buckets - 10/10/2009 06:05 PM

Hot water and Baking soda has worked well for me in many containers. Sometimes a repeat application and an additional 24hrs was needed depending on what was inside.
© 2024 A WELL REGULATED MILITIA