Forums

How 'bout that market huh?

Posted By: skyvalleysquirrel50

How 'bout that market huh? - 05/06/2010 04:40 PM

Down 1,000 points in less than thirty minutes. Wow.
I wonder what will happen tomohttp://www.marketwatch.com/story/us-stocks-struggle-data-retailers-in-focus-2010-05-06?dist=afterbellrow.
Posted By: airforce

Re: How 'bout that market huh? - 05/06/2010 06:15 PM

CNBC is blaming a trading error at Citigroup, in which somebody entered "billion" instead of "million." Aren't you glad the government saved Citigroup from going out of business?

Onward and upward,
airforce

Re: How 'bout that market huh? - 05/07/2010 09:03 AM

I guess.... but you must admit that the conditions were right for this to happen. I have dificulty believing that this is the only "error" that has happened in a while. None the less the market took a 10% dump in 30 minutes because one trader accidently pushed a button. Boy I'm sure glad that the ivy league is in charge, between this guy, Bush, Clinton, Obama, and every other asshole out there the smart ones are really fucking this place up.

On a different note, only one reply... wow I guess in need to ask about the best gun huh?
Posted By: shooter19802003

Re: How 'bout that market huh? - 05/07/2010 10:09 AM

It has been said that this is the work of hft. Which are computers that run algarythems to make the best trades. So something in the market triggered a selloff by these computers.

Re: How 'bout that market huh? - 05/07/2010 11:13 AM

Citigroup is calling for a 20% "correction" over the Greece kirfufil.

"Global stock markets have perhaps rallied too far, too fast since the March low of 2009 to the April 2010 high, Tsutomu Fujita, an analyst at Citi, commented."

Re: How 'bout that market huh? - 05/07/2010 11:15 AM

By the way,

I must say there is something horribly wrong when I am the one pointing this out. I am deffinatily NOT the one to give financial advice!
Posted By: ParaSkS-DEACTIVATED

Re: How 'bout that market huh? - 05/07/2010 03:26 PM

The market can and will do whatever. Mistakes or not.
Posted By: Tangalor

Re: How 'bout that market huh? - 05/08/2010 03:49 AM

The dow is just one small piece of the proverbial puzzle. A pinpoint in a complete tapestry, if you will.. but it is a good indicator sometimes.

It is important to note that most of what we see in the market these days is a balloon filled with hot air, just begging to be popped by something.
Posted By: ParaSkS-DEACTIVATED

Re: How 'bout that market huh? - 05/08/2010 07:42 AM

Does the stock market indicate the wellness of the whole economy?

Re: How 'bout that market huh? - 05/08/2010 01:00 PM

If you mean artificially held up with money that does'nt exist, yeah.
Posted By: safetalker

Re: How 'bout that market huh? - 05/09/2010 05:28 PM

There is a story on EU times at
http://www.eutimes.net/2010/05/obama-attack-on-corporate-giant-pg-shatters-us-stock-market/
which may share some knowledge of this 1,000 point drop. I read EU times with tongue in cheek and follow all links for backup.
They seem to have a handle on this one though.
Posted By: SnakeEyes

Re: How 'bout that market huh? - 05/09/2010 10:03 PM

It just goes to show that the stock market is nothing but a bubble that is artificially inflated to make some richer while playing with other peoples money.

This is why in this country we really need to get back to actually making goods, not trading paper and promises.
Posted By: SBL

Re: How 'bout that market huh? - 05/09/2010 10:35 PM

Well this certainly isn't going to help things here in the USA:
We're bailing out Europe
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100510/ap_on_bi_ge/us_europe_financial_crisis_fed

Text:
WASHINGTON – The Federal Reserve late Sunday opened a program to ship U.S. dollars to Europe in a move to head off a broader financial crisis on the continent.

Other central banks, including the Bank of Canada, the Bank of England, the European Central Bank and the Swiss National Bank, are also involved in the effort.

The action reopens a program put in place during the 2008 global financial crisis under which dollars are shipped overseas through the foreign central banks. In turn, these central banks can lend the dollars out to banks in their home countries that are in need of dollar funding to prevent the European crisis from spreading further.

The Fed said action is being taken "in response to the reemergence of strains in U.S. dollar short-term funding markets in Europe."

The debt crisis first erupted in Greece and there are fears that it could spread to Spain, Portugal and other eurozone countries. The crisis has pushed up demand for the U.S. dollar and has sharply weakened the value of the euro, the currency used by 16 European countries.

The Fed said the action was being taken to "prevent the spread of strains to other markets and financial centers."

The Bank of Japan will be considering similar action soon, the Fed said.

A so-called "swap" line with the Bank of Canada provides up to $30 billion. Figures weren't provided for the other central banks. The arrangements are authorized through January 2011.

The Fed had wound down these crisis-era programs with other central banks in February, along with other emergency programs to get lending flowing more freely again and return stability to financial markets. At that time, financial strains in the United States were easing, and the Fed began to take steps to move policy closer to normal.

It also had begun to lay out a plan to reel in the unprecedented stimulus money pumped out during the crisis. The Fed's balance sheet ballooned to $2.3 trillion, more than double where it stood before the crisis struck. The program reopened on Sunday will expand the Fed's balance sheet, economists say. However, the program poses little credit risk to the Fed because the arrangements are with other central banks, they added.
Posted By: ConSigCor

Re: How 'bout that market huh? - 05/10/2010 07:14 AM

The worlds economy is being manipulated into a collapse by the bookies. They are deliberately robbing the entire system at the average persons expense. Once the total collapse comes you can expect worldwide chaos and civil unrest. The governments will be ready to step in with their final solution...a new cashless society ruled by a police state. This will be implemented so that they can have complete and total control over everyone. You will receive a new smart card. Those who refuse will not be allowed to buy, sell or work.

Re: How 'bout that market huh? - 05/10/2010 10:12 AM

And that is why I pay attention.
© 2024 A WELL REGULATED MILITIA