Forums

security and injuries

Posted By: shawri

security and injuries - 05/13/2010 08:39 PM

Just had surgery on hands for carpal tunnel. So bandaged up, cant hold my sidearm, much less work the slide. Took both hands and feet to chamber M4. (Dont ask!) Lesson is, plan ahead for dfense needs while injured. My 1911 is useless with messed up hands.
Posted By: Texas Resistance

Re: security and injuries - 05/13/2010 09:34 PM

Sorry to hear that bro. I wonder why they did not do one hand at a time but I guess it would have cost more.
Posted By: shawri

Re: security and injuries - 05/13/2010 09:51 PM

I'm currently floating between jobs and wanted to get them done before the insurance ran out. it was done laproscopicly, so hopefully only be down a few days. Got training coming up,, should be better for that.
Posted By: catfish

Re: security and injuries - 05/14/2010 08:30 AM

You should recover pretty quick. I was fortunate enough to have mine done one at a time. I was still able to operate a lever action rifle for deer season. I'm not sure if mine was laparoscopic or not. My right wrist was too far gone to repair completely. You'll be back to poppin targets in no time. Just take it easy and let heal up.
Posted By: Total Resistance

Re: security and injuries - 05/16/2010 09:07 PM

+1

Being able to work your weapon with one hand may be a needed skill one day. MAGPUL has great vids on one hand weapon manipulation.

You can work the slide on your pistol by pushing the front site or slide down against your holster (reaction hand down) or boot heel (either hand down). I also carry a spare pistol magazine weapon side to allow me to holster my sidearm and reload if my reaction hand is down.

Similar things can be done to manipulate a rifle 1 handed from loading to clearing type 3 malfunctions.
© 2024 A WELL REGULATED MILITIA