Forums

Pet Food

Posted By: ced242s

Pet Food - 06/24/2010 05:38 PM

I was looking into storing some dry pet food for my animals to tide them over a month or so until things started getting settled and I was wondering if it was necessary to do the whole o2 absorbers and mylar bags or if sealed food grade buckets would be sufficient? After all it is already dried and storage ready I would assume. Any thoughts would be appreciated thanks.

Cody
Posted By: KIDGLOCK

Re: Pet Food - 06/24/2010 05:44 PM

How picky have you raised your pets ??? I've seen dogs eat 6 month dead pronghorn , chew dead squirrels off a mud flap .

So , NO . I'd keep in the bag and fins a plastic 55 gallon drum you can seal the top on and fill it with bags of food .
Posted By: HARBINGER

Re: Pet Food - 06/24/2010 07:55 PM

Just stock up, rotate religiously, bucket pack lower fat content equals Longer shelf life, low oil kibble type foods are best. Make sure they can transition their diet ( test small quantity first. ) supplement with a bit of your canned butter or stored fats and oils.

Re: Pet Food - 06/24/2010 07:59 PM

Oh yeah vermin proof pack it or check for knawing if you use plastic pails.
Posted By: C. M. Wolf

Re: Pet Food - 06/24/2010 10:38 PM

Generally, there are enough preservatives in dry dog food to keep it on a shelf for near a couple of years, if it's stored in a cool, dry place, and well sealed.

I try to keep a few 40lbs bags on hand along with a couple of special 25lbs capasity totes that I feed my sweet, picky lil' monsters from.

You might want to be careful what other storage aids you use in the dog food. Many dog foods have a certain degree of moisture and/or oils that make it somewhat palitable to the animal. Some storage aids can leach out chemicals that won't mix well with these.
It's best to just store animal foods in a well sealed container and store in cool, dry places out of any sunlight.

As mentioned by Harbinger, rotate on a regular basis.

A dogs digestive tract, for the most part, is very strong. Dogs and many other animals can bury a dead carcass for as much as two weeks, come back and still eat on it with little to no ill effects,(or followed by eating grasses to aid digestion or calm a sour stomache from it. but then, many animals eat the bones and all too. the calcium in the bones helps calm their stomaches).

I've seen coyotes in the wild survive on a diet that seriously would make a billy goat puke,(nasty, smelly, pest-ridden, dirt-filled, and half rotten... whatever it was). Oh btw, I have a great receipe for "Coyote Stew"... who wants to come to dinner? I've heard that, "Dog makes a fine meal..." wink

Michael
Posted By: catfish

Re: Pet Food - 06/24/2010 10:46 PM

Originally posted by C. M. Wolf:
Oh btw, I have a great receipe for "Coyote Stew"... who wants to come to dinner? I've heard that, "Dog makes a fine meal..." wink
Michael
I'll bring the sourdough biscuits! I haven't had coyote stew since I was hunting them around Cedarville,CA back in the '80's. Waste not want not, Granny always said! laugh
Posted By: C. M. Wolf

Re: Pet Food - 06/24/2010 10:54 PM

Originally posted by catfish:
I'll bring the sourdough biscuits! ...
What no "Pan Bread"? A little flour or bisquick, some water or milk,(if ya can get it), an egg, a smidge of dirt/ash or grass or leaves blowing in on the wind... mmmmmmm!

Michael

Re: Pet Food - 06/25/2010 02:56 PM

I like em fried with ketchup!

Re: Pet Food - 06/25/2010 08:32 PM

Originally posted by HARBINGER:
I like em fried with ketchup!
Anything is edible with ketchup! laugh
Posted By: Alhazred43

Re: Pet Food - 06/28/2010 01:45 AM

Originally posted by catfish:
Originally posted by HARBINGER:
[b] I like em fried with ketchup!
Anything is edible with ketchup! laugh [/b]
Or tabasco.

Also in a long term survival (not war just survival). Situation. It would be logical to first hunt and eat the preditors right?

I mean eating your rivals for food is a double dose of win I would think.

Re: Pet Food - 06/28/2010 02:35 PM

Originally posted by Alhazred43:
Or tabasco.
Also in a long term survival (not war just survival). Situation. It would be logical to first hunt and eat the preditors right?

I mean eating your rivals for food is a double dose of win I would think. [/QB]
Works for me! laugh

Re: Pet Food - 06/28/2010 02:59 PM

+1 laugh
© 2024 A WELL REGULATED MILITIA