Forums

canned food

Posted By: mangla

canned food - 07/24/2010 12:46 AM

Does anyone have any idea about how long canned food lasts? I saw something that claimed that canned vegetables can last like 3 or 4 decades. It said the color and taste had degraded but the nutritional value was almost 100% of original state. Is this correct? Would soup or meat have a different shelf life? What about MREs? Thanks.
Posted By: Flight-ER-Doc

Re: canned food - 07/24/2010 04:03 AM

It depends....for best flavor and nutritional value, about 2 years max from date canned (assuming commercial packing).

The USDA has some good info on this.

MRE's depend a LOT on how they're stored, cool is better. If stored at 50F or less and not allowed to freeze, they're good for 10 years. If the temp goes up to 120F, about four months.
Posted By: Lord Vader

Re: canned food - 07/24/2010 06:37 AM

If you want to use canned food for long term storage get SPAM.

SPAM has an Infinite Shelf Life, well maybe not Infinite but but it does have a very very long Shelf Life, at least according to the SPAM experts at Hormel.

These Experts state that the actual Shelf Life of SPAM is unknown but they do know that it will last for many years like in longer then 20 or 30 years.
Posted By: DesertRat

Re: canned food - 07/24/2010 08:37 AM

Good thing I like SPAM... Plus it's pretty high calorie, something to look for. Just add some vitamins in there, you're good. smile

Stomach starts grumbling...
Posted By: alfa6foxtrot

Re: canned food - 07/24/2010 08:42 AM

I did my own experiment on canned food, and it looks like 2 years is a good average. I recently opened some vegetables that were from May 2008 and they were fine. The beans looked like they absorbed most of the sauce they were packed in and were a little pasty, but didn't go bad.

I heard the same thing Sniper did about Spam.
I've eaten 10 year old MRE's, and they were fine.

The best thing to do is what they recommend at emergencyessentials.com (or beprepared.com), make all of your food storage part of your regular diet so it always gets rotated.

Re: canned food - 07/24/2010 09:44 AM

Straight from the Horses Mouth or from the Pigs Mouth

http://www.hormelfoods.com/faqs.aspx#products

What is the shelf life of a Hormel Foods product in an unopened can?

The processing techniques utilized by Hormel Foods makes the canned product safe for use indefinitely if the product seal remains intact, unbroken and securely attached to a can that has been well maintained. It is suggested that all canned products be stored in a cool and dry environment to keep the flavor adequately preserved. For maximum flavor it is recommended that the product be used within three years of the manufacturing date. After that period of time, the product is still safe to use however, the flavor gradually declines.

=============================
What is the expiration date on a can of Hormel Chili, Stagg Chili or any other Hormel Foods canned product?
For maximum flavor and freshness, we recommend use by the "Best By" date printed on our can. However, the shelf life of the product is indefinite as long as the seal remains intact, unbroken and securely attached to a can that has been well maintained. It is suggested that all canned products be stored in a cool and dry environment to keep the flavor adequately preserved. Our food is processed with a vacuum seal and is cooked at a high temperature which makes it a shelf stable item.

Posted By: threequarterthrottle

Re: canned food - 07/24/2010 06:57 PM

Regarding SPAM:
Treet is between 1/2 and 2/3 the price, and tastier, IMO. Check it out if you haven't!
Posted By: mangla

Re: canned food - 07/24/2010 07:15 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I should have asked before but does anyone know about unopened battery life? Like AAs or Ds or whatever.
Posted By: ConSigCor

Re: canned food - 07/24/2010 07:32 PM

Canned food is generally safe to eat as long as the can doesn't show signs of seepage around the seal or swelling of the can. Most of the time cans will go about five years except for juices or other acidic foods. Always store in a dark area. Maintain temps below 70 degrees...the colder the better down to about 40.

Most batteries or their packaging have an expiration or use by date.

Re: canned food - 07/24/2010 08:00 PM

Originally posted by mangla:
Thanks for the info guys. I should have asked before but does anyone know about unopened battery life? Like AAs or Ds or whatever.
Alkaline Batteries are good for at least 5 years and I have a Duracell C size Alkaline Battery that is in a Signal Strobe that is still good enough for the strobe to function properly that has a use by date of Jan 98. This Battery is app 17 years old and it still is good. Now how long it will work in the Strobe if I need to use it I have no idea which is why I replaced it just to be on the safe side. I am still keeping the Battery to see how long it will last.

The Energizer Lithium AA Batteries are supposedly good for 12 years and if they are anything like the Alkalines they should last a lot longer then 12 years.

For long term use good rechargeables are a very good investment and they can be recharged with a Solar Recharger.

At this time the best Rechargeable Batteries are NI-MH using the new Sanyo Formulation. Unlike other Rechargeable Batteries these come already charged and ready for use and when charged they hold their charge for a long time unlike other older types.
Posted By: Flight-ER-Doc

Re: canned food - 07/25/2010 05:10 AM

I store alkaline batteries in the freezer...keeps them fresh, longer. Just let them warm up, and then wipe them dry, before use.
Posted By: Etech

Re: canned food - 07/30/2010 05:03 PM

In regard to the Energizer Lithium AA batteries, when in the cold, for an extended period, these are 'the thing to have' for power.

The alkaline batteries tend to drop off quickly in power below about 30 degrees. The Lithium are rated for -40 degrees.
© 2024 A WELL REGULATED MILITIA