Forums

Gas Masks

Posted By: frdmfightr

Gas Masks - 01/17/2011 07:50 AM

High, folks! This will be my second post on this forum. I'm a moderator over at www.americanmilitiamovement.com.

I'm looking into purchasing a Finnish M61 gas mask with filter and 60mm to 40mm NATO adapter for NATO filters. My question is, by a show of replies, how many of you own one or more gas masks? Knowing this will make me feel more comfortable about buying one.
Posted By: Pericles

Re: Gas Masks - 01/17/2011 08:47 AM

I still have a M17 series as all I'm really worried about is CS gas particularly in an enclosed area.
Posted By: OLM-Medic

Re: Gas Masks - 01/17/2011 09:49 AM

I hear one of the SCOTT brand masks are the way to go but I honestly have no clue. I would THINK that with the right filter it would do a great job. I'[d rather trust my life to something like that than an old surplus mask.

I still don't know for sure, so don't just buy one without researching.
Posted By: Lord Vader

Re: Gas Masks - 01/17/2011 11:16 AM

Avoid surplus masks for any NBC use like Poison Gas or Nuclear Contaminates or anything else that might kill you.

If you believe you may need one then get a good current military type mask.

I have a M95 Mask with good filters.

A older mask like an M17 should be good for CS Tear Gas. Although I never tried one with Tear Gas, I did use one for protection against those Gopher Gas Bombs that my friend used inside a Horse Barn to smoke out the Rats, and it did work OK and I never even smelled the Gas and more importantly I never got sick.

There is one very important thing to consider if you intend to use a Mask in a Combat situation and that is the location of the Filter and how it effects your ability to use a Rifle properly.

With the M95 the filter can be placed on either side.

Also a Mask prevents you from getting in proper position to use the sights and I found that a Red Dot on top of an AR15s carry handle mostly solved that problem.
Posted By: D308cat

Re: Gas Masks - 01/17/2011 01:22 PM

I have 2 Israeli masks and about 6 filters in my preps

Re: Gas Masks - 01/17/2011 10:00 PM

Also, if the mask goes on for any NBC use, youbetter be hauling ass out of there.
Posted By: Flight-ER-Doc

Re: Gas Masks - 01/18/2011 08:22 AM

If you're using the mask for any NBC use, you better have a MOPP or better suit to put on, too.

Re: Gas Masks - 01/19/2011 07:21 AM

Originally posted by Flight-ER-Doc:
If you're using the mask for any NBC use, you better have a MOPP or better suit to put on, too.
So, is this what you have? Do you have a wife and kids for whom you've purchased these suites?

Re: Gas Masks - 01/19/2011 08:52 AM

My wife and I are both retired military, my kids are active military....we all have the ones the AF trained us on: MCU-2/P (the MSA Millenium), and JLIST suits. Since I quit shaving when Uncle quits paying me, mine has a PAPR device.

Of course, I don't have to pay for the kids (at least beyond my taxes).

But if you're in a chemical warfare agent environment (anything beyond perhaps irritant gases like CS) and you don't have a suit, you might as well not bother with a mask.

Re: Gas Masks - 01/19/2011 10:44 AM

Flighter,

Would just a mask work for a short term exposure while you get away from the substance? Not something I would count on, just for informational.

Re: Gas Masks - 01/19/2011 10:57 AM

Originally posted by OLM-Medic:
Flighter,

Would just a mask work for a short term exposure while you get away from the substance? Not something I would count on, just for informational.
Depends on the substance: A very small drop of a nerve agent on your skin (or clothes) will kill you. Exposure to blistering agents will cause chemical burns on the skin, which can be quite bad (even fatal). Even a biological can enter the body through an unseen break in the skin, while wearing a mask.

Re: Gas Masks - 01/22/2011 07:49 AM

Originally posted by Flight-ER-Doc:
My wife and I are both retired military, my kids are active military....we all have the ones the AF trained us on: MCU-2/P (the MSA Millenium), and JLIST suits. Since I quit shaving when Uncle quits paying me, mine has a PAPR device.

Of course, I don't have to pay for the kids (at least beyond my taxes).

But if you're in a chemical warfare agent environment (anything beyond perhaps irritant gases like CS) and you don't have a suit, you might as well not bother with a mask.
Thank you for your informative answer. However, I'll have to look up those acronyms since I've never served in the military.
© 2024 A WELL REGULATED MILITIA