Forums

storing food

Posted By: OLM-Medic

storing food - 03/03/2011 10:04 PM

I'm in the process of long term food storage and I'm looking for links on good ways to store. I feel like they are on this site somewhere but I can't find them.

Long story short: I'm looking for a way to store things like 50 lb bags of rice or beans without going bad or bugs getting inside.

Links and suggestions welcome.
Posted By: Leo

Re: storing food - 03/04/2011 04:50 AM

Ok, I would suggest you a quire Mylar bags with oxygen absorbers. You can put right at 40 lbs of rice in mylar which would be in the bucket. I have done this and have shown folks how to do so. When you buy your oxygen absorbers, please by them in the 10 count, not the 50-100 count unless you are going to be hard core food storage. You will waste a bunch.

You will need 2000ml and 300ml, both in the amount of 10. What your trying to accomplish is 2100ml in each bag. I would recommend you buy your buckets from Home Depot. They will cost you about $3.50 each. Only buy bucket lids with the black rubber gasket.

Please remember that when you open your oxygen absorber bags, they will IMMEDIATELY begin sucking up oxygen. So move with a sense of purpose. I also recommend you have at least yourself and one other to help you.

Hope this helps you some. If you need anything else or have any more questions, let me know. Others on this forum probably can assist you as well.

Leo out

Ps. Dont do mylar without the buckets, puncture issues.
Posted By: Kimber_45

Re: storing food - 03/04/2011 06:39 AM

I buy the smaller 1 Gallon mylar bags. That way you can open one at a time to get your rice/beans/oats and not have to open a 50lb bag and keep re sealing it 100 times.
Posted By: Yippeya

Re: storing food - 03/04/2011 06:49 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW7_cTn6YpE
Posted By: ConSigCor

Re: storing food - 03/04/2011 08:18 AM

OLM,

Go here. http://www.awrm.org/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=44

Look for the Emergency Preparedness video and click the link. It's a compilation of several vids on food and water prep.
Posted By: C. M. Wolf

Re: storing food - 05/09/2011 04:00 AM

Double and triple bagging can help to seal out most things from getting to your stores, but it remains a caution as to what you are sealing in as you do the bagging.

Keeping your stores out of sunlight helps also as UV light kills many things in time, even steel. Cool and dry, and dark/low light.

I store little water,(I have worked on finding and purifying/filtering instead), but adding a very small amount of real Silver to fresh/clean water stores keeps things from trying to grow in it. Again, storing in a cool dark place helps too. Silver also acts as an Anti-biotic in the human body.

IHTH

Michael
© 2024 A WELL REGULATED MILITIA