Forums

A Survival Thought Experiment

Posted By: airforce

A Survival Thought Experiment - 05/12/2015 11:15 AM

Here's a little thought experiment. You are stranded on a deserted island. You can have ANY FOUR of the items shown below:

[Linked Image]

Which four would you choose, and why? Reply with your answers. (There are no right or wrong answers.)

Onward and upward,
airforce
Posted By: The Answer

Re: A Survival Thought Experiment - 05/12/2015 03:40 PM

Knife, water purifier, matches, hiking boots - stay a while and make signal fires

OR

Raft, flare gun, rope, tarp - make a sailboat, make a run for it

OR

Saw, hammock, rope, tarp - make a sweet tree house

Probably the first
Posted By: airforce

Re: A Survival Thought Experiment - 05/13/2015 09:02 AM

Here's what I chose.

#1 Matches and #2 knife. Because obviously.

Some islands get lots of rainfall and clean water, while others don't. Since I don't know which group this island falls under, I chose #3 water purifier.

After that, though, it gets more difficult. I can make cordage, so the rope is something I can reluctantly do without. The tent would be nice, the tarp maybe a little more versatile, and the inflatable boat offers both escape and shelter. The first aid kit looks like it will have lots of things useful not just for first aid. A mirror to signal for rescue would be nice, too.

I finally chose #4, tent. Because I'm just too damn old to paddle a boat across an ocean.

Onward and upward,
airforce
Posted By: Flight-ER-Doc

Re: A Survival Thought Experiment - 05/13/2015 12:08 PM

Pot Knife Matches (they'd be the hardest to improvise) and a MIRROR to get seen and off the damned island.
© 2024 A WELL REGULATED MILITIA