Forums

DEA Commando Squads Escalating the Drug War

Posted By: airforce

DEA Commando Squads Escalating the Drug War - 11/07/2011 07:06 AM

Military-trained DEA commando squads are now fighting the drug war on foreign soil.

What could possibly go wrong?

Late on a moonless night in March, a plane smuggling nearly half a ton of cocaine touched down at a remote airstrip in Honduras. A heavily armed ground crew was waiting for it - as were Honduran security forces. After a 20-minute firefight, a Honduran officer had been wounded and two drug traffickers lay dead.

Several news outlets briefly reported the episode, mentioning that a Honduran official said the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration had provided support. But none of the reports included a striking detail: That support consisted of an elite detachment of military-trained DEA special agents who joined in the shootout, according to a person familiar with the episode.

The DEA now has five special commando-style squads that it has been quietly deploying for the past several years to Western Hemisphere nations - including Haiti, Honduras, the Dominican Republic, Guatemala and Belize - that are battling violent, transnational drug cartels, according to documents and interviews of law enforcement officials.

The program - called FAST, for Foreign-deployed Advisory Support Team - was created during the George W. Bush administration to investigate Taliban-linked drug traffickers in Afghanistan. Beginning in 2008 and continuing under President Barack Obama, it has expanded far beyond the war zone.

"You have got to have special skills and equipment to be able to operate effectively and safely in environments like this," said Michael Braun, a former head of operations for the drug agency who helped design the program. "The DEA is working shoulder-to-shoulder in harm's way with host-nation counterparts." (...)
This is not going to end well.

Onward and upward,
airforce
Posted By: The Answer

Re: DEA Commando Squads Escalating the Drug War - 11/07/2011 09:40 AM

Nobody ever talks about these wars...
Posted By: Breacher

Re: DEA Commando Squads Escalating the Drug War - 11/07/2011 10:58 AM

I will have to find the videos, but there are several documentary and a few amateur videos of these guys in action in Afghanistan. They are apparently considered equal to the lower end of Special Forces quality fighters. A few crews here and there are considered world class specops personnel.

A big part of it came up out of the lack of trust and confidence in leaving the dark side of foreign policy enforcement up to the CIA. I understand the DEA crews operate more or less openly but are otherwise paramilitary in nature.
Posted By: airforce

Re: DEA Commando Squads Escalating the Drug War - 11/08/2011 05:10 PM

Some House Republicans, like Rep Michael McCaul, would like to escalate the drug war even further bu designating Mexican drug cartels as foreign terrorist organizations .

What's next? A military invasion of Mexico?

Just re-legalize the crap. That'll put the Mexican drug gangs--and our own drug gangs as well--out of business overnight. You can abolish the DEA, fire half the cops, empty out half the prisons, save hundreds of billions annually, and let people who want to get high, get high.

Onward and upward,
airforce
Posted By: BuckeyeNCO

Re: DEA Commando Squads Escalating the Drug War - 11/08/2011 10:10 PM

And swell times will be had by all... Not!
Posted By: Breacher

Re: DEA Commando Squads Escalating the Drug War - 11/10/2011 10:34 PM

I hate to say it, but the Mexican situation is pretty bad, and yeah, the drug cartels are legitimately terrorist organizations. Waay too many of those public executions and mass killings "to make a point", which is textbook terrorism.

The problem is their government is knee deep in it, our government is waist deep in it, and personally, while I know dope is a big thing in a lot of the country, I don't get it that so many people would be using so much dope that the demand is really affecting the stability of an entire country. I just don't see how that is all about dope.
Posted By: SBL

Re: DEA Commando Squads Escalating the Drug War - 11/10/2011 10:42 PM

Mexico is in a state of civil war. This is the unspoken truth. It is Mexico's problem, not ours. Seal the border and let Mexico's problems get solved by Mexicans, no matter how long that takes.
© 2024 A WELL REGULATED MILITIA