Forums

Man Rejected From Becoming a Police Officer

Posted By: airforce

Man Rejected From Becoming a Police Officer - 05/01/2013 09:00 AM

...because he scored too high[/b] on the IQ test. I'm not kidding.

A man whose bid to become a police officer was rejected after he scored too high on an intelligence test has lost an appeal in his federal lawsuit against the city.

The 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New York upheld a lower court’s decision that the city did not discriminate against Robert Jordan because the same standards were applied to everyone who took the test.

“This kind of puts an official face on discrimination in America against people of a certain class,” Jordan said today from his Waterford home. “I maintain you have no more control over your basic intelligence than your eye color or your gender or anything else.”

He said he does not plan to take any further legal action.

[b]Jordan, a 49-year-old college graduate, took the exam in 1996 and scored 33 points, the equivalent of an IQ of 125. But New London police interviewed only candidates who scored 20 to 27, on the theory that those who scored too high could get bored with police work and leave soon after undergoing costly training.

The average score nationally for police officers is 21 to 22, the equivalent of an IQ of 104, or just a little above average....
This explains a lot.

So what has Mr. Jordan been doing since being rejected for police work?

...Jordan has worked as a prison guard since he took the test.
Onward and upward,
airforce
Posted By: Sisu

Re: Man Rejected From Becoming a Police Officer - 05/01/2013 12:36 PM

I heard they do this. Thought it was an Alex Jones conspiracy. Thanks for the confirmation. frown
Posted By: AZ Hi Desert

Re: Man Rejected From Becoming a Police Officer - 05/01/2013 05:46 PM

This sounds familiar... Wasn't this case some time ago?

Ashamed to admit I was born in New London. I see it hasn't gotten any better in the three decades since I left it.
Posted By: airforce

Re: Man Rejected From Becoming a Police Officer - 05/01/2013 07:42 PM

Originally posted by AZ Hi Desert:
This sounds familiar... Wasn't this case some time ago?
Actually, quite a while ago. He took the test back in 1996, and it took this long for the case to wind its way through the courts.

Onward and upward,
airforce
Posted By: drjarhead

Re: Man Rejected From Becoming a Police Officer - 05/02/2013 06:20 AM

If they rejected him because he was gay or he was black, was not the same standard applied to everyone?

Too bad he's not going to pursue it further but I'm sure he's sick of the whole thing.

Bad is good
Good is bad
Up is down
Down is....
© 2024 A WELL REGULATED MILITIA