Forums

Pentagon Will Give 13,000 Armored Vehicles to Police

Posted By: airforce

Pentagon Will Give 13,000 Armored Vehicles to Police - 01/24/2014 01:28 PM

Because, you know, the police really need them. Or something.

...Almost 200 trucks have been distributed to police departments since August and requests are pending for an additional 750 trucks. The vehicles, many of which feature machine-gun turrets, are off-limits to private citizens and businesses.

Lucky recipients run from the Ohio State University campus police force to Florence County, S.C., which replaced an armored vehicle from the 1970s that the sheriff department's SWAT team had used for about 15 years. A new armored truck would have cost at least $188,000.

"The price was right because it was free and it fit with what we need it to do," says sheriff's Capt. John Crouse. "It stops bullets. It keeps you from getting shot." Ohio State declined to comment....
Onward and upward,
airforce
Posted By: Breacher

Re: Pentagon Will Give 13,000 Armored Vehicles to Police - 01/24/2014 06:10 PM

I have mixed feelings about it since I got most of my tracked vehicle driver training on a couple of M113s that started out in a program like that and nobody else wanted them.

A lot of that stuff ends up as municipal back lot inventory that will be available to people like us when the time comes.
Posted By: sempergumby

Re: Pentagon Will Give 13,000 Armored Vehicles to Police - 01/24/2014 06:25 PM

Would be fun to run and gun. I would hate to run against it.
Posted By: 10th Amendment

Re: Pentagon Will Give 13,000 Armored Vehicles to Police - 01/26/2014 06:25 PM

These vehicles can be defeated with proper planning and know how. They may feel safe in it but they won't up against the right guys.
© 2024 A WELL REGULATED MILITIA