07/13/2011 03:44 PM
07/13/2011 03:44 PM
Tulsa
airforce Online content OP
Administrator
airforce  Online Content OP
Administrator
Tulsa
He\'s Dr. Jeffrey Rohlfing, a prison surgeon who has not treated a patient for six years. Why? Because he has a history of mental illness, was fired for incompetence once, and medical supervisors don't trust his clinical skills. But he made $777,243 of California's tax dollars last year.

The highest-paid state employee in California last year, a prison surgeon who took home $777,423, has a history of mental illness, was fired once for alleged incompetence and has not been allowed to treat an inmate for six years because medical supervisors don't trust his clinical skills.

Since July 2005, Dr. Jeffrey Rohlfing has mostly been locked out of his job — on paid leave or fired or fighting his termination — at High Desert State Prison in Susanville, state records show. When he has been allowed inside the facility, he has been relegated to reviewing paper medical histories, what prison doctors call "mailroom" duty.

Rohlfing's $235,740 base pay, typical in California's corrections system, accounted for about a third of his income last year. The rest of the money was back pay for more than two years when he did no work for the state while appealing his termination. A supervisor had determined that Rohlfing provided substandard care for two patients, according to state Personnel Board records.

Rohlfing won that case before the board and was rehired and assigned to "mailroom" work in late 2009.

"We want taxpayers to know we had no choice in this," said Nancy Kincaid, spokeswoman for the court-appointed receiver in charge of California's inmate healthcare.
Here's a simple suggestion for all those California legislators who are supposedly trying to fix the state's budget woes: Fix the system that does idiot things like this.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Re: Meet California's Highest-Paid State Employee #153121
07/13/2011 04:03 PM
07/13/2011 04:03 PM
Philistine Occupied CA
I
Imagrunt Offline
Imagrunt  Offline

I
Philistine Occupied CA
When I saw the thread title, I thought the highest paid ca.gov employee would be a correctional officer, but I was close.

Insanity...

I would gladly lay aside the use of arms and settle matters by negotiation, but unless the whole will, the matter ends, and I take up my battle rifle, and thank God that He has put it within my grasp.

Audit Fort Knox!
Re: Meet California's Highest-Paid State Employee #153122
07/13/2011 04:31 PM
07/13/2011 04:31 PM
Tulsa
airforce Online content OP
Administrator
airforce  Online Content OP
Administrator
Tulsa
You know, I'm a corrections officer, too. But if I was making half what those guys out there are making, I'd be a pretty happy guy.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Re: Meet California's Highest-Paid State Employee #153123
07/13/2011 06:07 PM
07/13/2011 06:07 PM
Philistine Occupied CA
I
Imagrunt Offline
Imagrunt  Offline

I
Philistine Occupied CA
Originally posted by airforce:
You know, I'm a corrections officer, too. But if I was making half what those guys out there are making, I'd be a pretty happy guy.

The CA C.O. union is arguably the most powerful lobby in the state, and although I have worked in corrections and understand that it can be a difficult job, the pay for CA is over the top.

As for the doctor: well he obviously has some kind of "union" protection and very good lawyers.

Normally, I try not to let this type of .gov financial abuse bother me, because it is so prevalent, but lately, I can't help but use the following term:

Unsustainable and fr*ckin doomed.

Babylon is fallen, is fallen...

I would gladly lay aside the use of arms and settle matters by negotiation, but unless the whole will, the matter ends, and I take up my battle rifle, and thank God that He has put it within my grasp.

Audit Fort Knox!
Re: Meet California's Highest-Paid State Employee #153124
07/13/2011 07:01 PM
07/13/2011 07:01 PM
California
C
code3 Offline
NCO Contributor
code3  Offline
NCO Contributor
C
California
I am A Co at High Desert and the Docter is an idiot. The CCPOA is not what it used to be. It's only a shell of what it used to be. We lost 15% over the last 30 months. I know more guards who have been pysically broken beyond repair,died or committed suicided than I have seen retire. After 18 years you could not believe the changes in the Dept. I still have it better than most and I thank God for that. I dont know if I will make it another 12 years in a level4 pen. Most guards never live long enough to recieve what we put into retirement. Sorry for crying but now I'm readey for the beat down.

SIEMPER FI
Re: Meet California's Highest-Paid State Employee #153125
07/15/2011 03:51 AM
07/15/2011 03:51 AM
Tennessee
Hawk45 Offline
Moderator Officer Contributor
Hawk45  Offline
Moderator Officer Contributor
Tennessee
Originally posted by code3:
I am A Co at High Desert and the Docter is an idiot. The CCPOA is not what it used to be. It's only a shell of what it used to be. We lost 15% over the last 30 months. I know more guards who have been pysically broken beyond repair,died or committed suicided than I have seen retire. After 18 years you could not believe the changes in the Dept. I still have it better than most and I thank God for that. I dont know if I will make it another 12 years in a level4 pen. Most guards never live long enough to recieve what we put into retirement. Sorry for crying but now I'm readey for the beat down.
People who have never worked in a prison will never understand it. It is a different world when you go in and hear the doors 'clang' behind you and you are in there UNARMED with the scum of the world. Most of which should be executed and do the world a favor.

No 'beat down' from me. People who go in the walls earn every penny they can get. I trained the 'SWAT' teams for the prisons here in Tn for 6 years.

Re: Meet California's Highest-Paid State Employee #153126
07/15/2011 07:36 AM
07/15/2011 07:36 AM
California
C
code3 Offline
NCO Contributor
code3  Offline
NCO Contributor
C
California
Thanks Hawk45.

SIEMPER FI
Re: Meet California's Highest-Paid State Employee #153127
07/15/2011 07:43 AM
07/15/2011 07:43 AM
Western States
Breacher Offline
Breacher  Offline
Western States
well well well. Look who we have here.

If you got the balls to work on the cages but know how to handle firearms, why not take a fast track assignment to one of the contractor companies in Iraq? I know on the federal corrections side, they get offered those programs all of the time and I think sometimes with even the guarantee of going back to the old job at the prison when they return from overseas.

$10K to $15K per month is a pretty good way to build enough savings before chucking the system and just living off grid for in perpetuity.

Your comerades in the prison guard professions made damn sure my military career cut off at 17 years (and functionally was ended at 14 years but we were all pretending there was hope of finishing it). So getting older without a retirement plan is not really the end of the world.

Now try doing that with a felon tag on your record and you might even get serious about the next revolution, especially when that felon tag came from the simple exercise of your constitutional rights.

Life liberty, and the pursuit of those who threaten them.

Trump: not the president America needs, but the president America deserves.
Re: Meet California's Highest-Paid State Employee #153128
07/15/2011 02:03 PM
07/15/2011 02:03 PM
California
C
code3 Offline
NCO Contributor
code3  Offline
NCO Contributor
C
California
I only know of one person that worked in Afganistan and he was an associate warden when he left. He worked as a warden over there. he quit after a year. Breacher I'm sorry for your circumstances, but I dont how my "comerades" could end a military carrer. Outside the walls we have no powers and LEO's dont like us unless we work for a county jail. Believe me if I could turn back time I would never do this again. I would have stuck with the Fire service. The dept really made it easy for Marines to get picked up. As far as the next revolution there are many of us aware and preparing. I chose High Desert because it's on the eastern side of the sierras, our closest city Reno. The politics are more to my liking up here.

SIEMPER FI

©>
©All information posted on this site is the private property of the individual author and AWRM.net and may not be reproduced without permission. © 2001-2020 AWRM.net All Rights Reserved.