03/08/2007 05:37 PM
03/08/2007 05:37 PM
Kansas
N
NewPatriot Offline OP
NewPatriot  Offline OP
N
Kansas
Been chattin with a friend at work, and realized I need to get prepared, and fast. I have basically nothin, except an AR, and a 9mm. Have less than 50 rds for each, and need a list fo what to spend, say the first $500 on. Any help would be great. Fisher and shooter, never been campin, so I am starting completely from scratch. Have been reading everything I can, but most posts are more advanced and out of my price range in the immediate future. Can build over time, but need the very basics to get started, including books that may be helpfull.
Thanx in advance,
D.

Better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6.
Re: Help.......Need to Get started #98815
03/09/2007 01:45 AM
03/09/2007 01:45 AM
A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC
ConSigCor Offline
ConSigCor  Offline
A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC
Take a month and use it to plan before doing anything.

First you need to know what you're planning for...then

You have to figure out how to afford "all that stuff".

Begin by closely examining your financial situation. Look at every dime you spend. Make a bare bones budget and stick to it. Cut out all frivilous spending...no eating out...no beer and pizza etc. Have a yard sale. Pick up extra work on the side or get a part time "night" job and use the funds it generates for your preps.

Second. Do a Threat Assessment for your area. Look at all the things that will probably happen or could happen. This will include probable natural or manmade disasters, severe weather etc. What are the ramifications of each? How would these events affect you? Once you know what to prepare for you can actually begin.

Make an evacuation plan...where to go, how to get there and when to go.

Ok, startin from scratch...

Build your ammo supply to 1000 rounds min. for the rifle...250 rounds for the pistol.

Get a basic load bearing set up. If you shop around, you can find decent surplus for reasonable prices. Use the H-back harness, add a USGI canteen, mag pouchs and a butt pack.

Put together a 72 hour bug out bag in a backpack.

Buy a case of MRE's then start buying a little extra canned food every chance you get. Begin with a minimum 2 week supply of food then build up your stock to 30-60-90 days etc.

Get a scanner and a shortwave radio.

"The time for war has not yet come, but it will come and that soon, and when it does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the scabbard." Gen. T.J. Jackson, March 1861
Re: Help.......Need to Get started #98816
03/09/2007 09:12 AM
03/09/2007 09:12 AM
Ohio
E
Efraim Offline
Efraim  Offline
E
Ohio
...5 years later and you'll be putting yourself through shooting schools, EMT programs, martial arts training, and HAM tests. Your life will change and you'll operate in a whole different perspective.

'In the hour of need, at the moment of truth; you will not rise to the occasion - you will default to your level of training' -LtCol Dave Grossman

http://ohiovolunteercorps.org/
Re: Help.......Need to Get started #98817
03/09/2007 11:09 AM
03/09/2007 11:09 AM
SouthEast, Texas
C
Colt. Offline
Colt.  Offline
C
SouthEast, Texas
If you are dedicated it won't take you long. I got into this about 2 years ago when I was 12. Within 6 months I had a HAM license and a bunch of gear. If you stay focused it will all come together quickly.

I suggest first getting at least 300 rounds for your AR-15. Go to a gun show to get it cheaper than a store. Grab you a "game bag" from Academy to keep some basics in such as a flashlight, a cheap walmart sterno, some beans, a cigarette lighter, cleaning supplies etc. Also get you a few camo clothes cheap at walmart. Go to the store and buy an energy drink with an aluminum casing, drink it and use it as a canteen. Buy something to hold magazines in from Cheaper Than Dirt because they are cheap there. Grab a compass for cheap somewhere, find some maps online.

I find the best way to find things you need is to keep a pad with you, for 2 days make a list of every item you use that you NEED to have. Go get those items.

Good Luck

-Colt. B.
Re: Help.......Need to Get started #98818
03/09/2007 01:20 PM
03/09/2007 01:20 PM
USA
A
A.Patriot2 Offline
NCO Contributor
A.Patriot2  Offline
NCO Contributor

A
USA

"In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot". Mark Twain - 1904
Re: Help.......Need to Get started #98819
03/09/2007 02:52 PM
03/09/2007 02:52 PM
Liberty,& Independence Mo. 47/...
7.62 PK Offline
7.62 PK  Offline
Liberty,& Independence Mo. 47/...
NewPatriot
As ConSigCor said, start off with a plan and take a little time to formulate where you want to be in 3 months, 6 months etc.
Ammo for your weapons, and food for you, plus some webbing, gun shows are a good place to look same with surplus store plus others in the patriot movement that live around you can help as they have been in the start position like you are now.
If your a medium in size
www.bradleys-military.com sells a used BDU shirt for $.95 and pants for $3.95.
I have bought several pairs of used boots from them and they have lasted for years, $9.95 and worth the price.
Also find a local group to train with and get some team training, and meet like minded friends.

Send me a PM and I might be able to link you with others in the flatlands.

Good luck!

If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.
--Thomas Paine (1737-1809)
‘Those who fail to learn from history,
are destined to repeat it.’
"Liberals believe in communism but communists don't believe in liberals." H.L.Mencken
Re: Help.......Need to Get started #98820
03/09/2007 03:11 PM
03/09/2007 03:11 PM
New York State
S
survivorjl Offline
NCO Contributor
survivorjl  Offline
NCO Contributor

S
New York State
I would suggest, If you haven't all ready, move out of town to the country as soon as possible. Your lifestyle will be accepted better and the older country folks that lived through tough times can teach and inspire you more than you can imagine.
Though having all the gear is important (I've got mine and still aquiring more) without wisdom it won't matter.

He who endures until the end...

http://calltodecision.com/forum/index.php
Re: Help.......Need to Get started #98821
03/11/2007 04:04 PM
03/11/2007 04:04 PM
Kansas
N
NewPatriot Offline OP
NewPatriot  Offline OP
N
Kansas
Thanks so much for all the info. Any books or DVDs Anyone can suggest?
Friend said he would loan me "No Such Thing as Dooms Day". Anyone read it? Worth the read? Also suggested Stan Deyo too.

Better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6.
Re: Help.......Need to Get started #98822
03/15/2007 07:01 PM
03/15/2007 07:01 PM
061ST BN/35TH FF/A-CORPS (W.Va...
C
CPT Lloyd Robert Conn Offline
CPT Lloyd Robert Conn  Offline
C
061ST BN/35TH FF/A-CORPS (W.Va...
Want to know how to prepare yourself mentally? Look to God and then (I know it will take more time, but worth it) become a Vol. Firefighter. Really, that is how I got here. You will learn how to deal with real world crisis and work as a team. Wilderness Search and Rescue (SAR) and Wildland/brush firefighting will teach you wilderness skills and it is the same contex when it comes to camping or surviving in the woods or other areas..And very importantly... you will make contacts and have access to needed resources (medical supplies). I know I berate my employeer, but walmart does have some good cheap gear.

Re: Help.......Need to Get started #98823
03/16/2007 10:16 PM
03/16/2007 10:16 PM
Philistine Occupied CA
I
Imagrunt Offline
Imagrunt  Offline

I
Philistine Occupied CA
Originally posted by NewPatriot:
Thanks so much for all the info. Any books or DVDs Anyone can suggest?
Friend said he would loan me "No Such Thing as Dooms Day". Anyone read it? Worth the read? Also suggested Stan Deyo too.
Read AWRM.

I would gladly lay aside the use of arms and settle matters by negotiation, but unless the whole will, the matter ends, and I take up my battle rifle, and thank God that He has put it within my grasp.

Audit Fort Knox!
Re: Help.......Need to Get started #98824
03/20/2007 08:33 PM
03/20/2007 08:33 PM
West Virginia
T
Taylor County Offline
NCO Contributor
Taylor County  Offline
NCO Contributor
T
West Virginia
Go to the Trading Post here on AWRM. Lord Eron has web belts, canteens, canteen pouches, 1st Aid/Compass pouches and tons of Y suspenders. all for cheap! Then find yourself a very good butt pack, either USGI Canvas Vietnam era or modern version with fastex buckles. Wal Mart (here I go again..and I hate it too..lol) has the following gear I would suggest. I checked it over at work.
Silva compass :$10.84
Water treatment tabs: $6.26
Spork :$2.44
Candle lantern :$16.46
Candles for above (use without ltn. too):$2.44/3
Match Case :$.96
Wet Ones Outdoor wipes (hygine):$4.24/35 wipes
Keychain led light for survival kit:$3.48
Essential Waitpack black :$6.46
(not the same as a butt pack/harness, but in a pinch or as a backup/accessory..kill the reflective strip).
H2o Proof box (fits inside above pack):$9.84/LG
$$6.46/SM
Hardware dept. sells Brown, Black and White Duck Brand Ducktape! Sorry no OD. If you know how to mend, then the fabrics dept has upholstery thread in black an needles/pins ans small snips for field repairs.
You can also get a 1ST Aid kit for around $10 there too. I know this is not true military, but I do use some of these items myself and would not recomend things I do not use. In a pinch and you seem like you are, these ideas will work...Send me a list of what you need.. I will try to help you out. Private mail me.

Tout Jour Prest.
www.wvfirefighters.com
www.worldnetdaily.com
www.pbn.4mg.com (Liberty Tree Radio.

Moderated by  airforce, ConSigCor 

©>
©All information posted on this site is the private property of the individual author and AWRM.net and may not be reproduced without permission. © 2001-2020 AWRM.net All Rights Reserved.