02/01/2008 02:36 AM
02/01/2008 02:36 AM
West Virginia
B
Bear Wanderer Offline OP
Bear Wanderer  Offline OP
B
West Virginia
I live in TN (east) at the moment. Even though funds have been hard to find I have tried to be prepared for disasters (man or nature). The one thing I have just started investigating is water. Anyone around east TN knows that there has been a drought but thanks be it is raining today. My local water company has asked us to conserve water and now has told us to boil water. Of couse water is the one thing I do not have a large store of. I believe this points to an interesting problem that many survivalist will want to think about. As "civilization" grows and towns grow larger and people live on thanks to modern medicine the resources we consume grow smaller. I am not a doomsday prophet but I can read. If we continue to grow in the method we are will my children or grandchildren have food? Will the water supply be enough to supply drinking and other needs? I think these are basic questions that should be asked when laying up our stores.

Re: Survival Preparedness is not just for when the SHTF #99285
02/03/2008 09:55 AM
02/03/2008 09:55 AM
Twilight Zone
T
Total Resistance Offline
Total Resistance  Offline
T
Twilight Zone
Let your truck idle all day long and use hair spray. That extra bit will help the greenhouse gases melt a little more polar ice for us to drink.

Seriously tho, a good point. You can't manufacture water if it isn't there. And if it is brackish you need a way to make it potable pr you gucci gear and guns will be worthless.

Rule #1 - You do not publically bad mouth a fellow patriot.

"Being innocent is simply not enough for the government," Denise Simon
Re: Survival Preparedness is not just for when the SHTF #99286
02/03/2008 03:44 PM
02/03/2008 03:44 PM
Colorado
Patriot Offline
Patriot  Offline
Colorado
You can obtain water in a survival situation! Several tarps suspended by the corners in an open area with a small hole in the center will catch more than you think overnite! Have wide mouth bottle or pan under hole!

Monica Lewinsky- amerikan patriot and militia poster girl. Only person in amerika that blew away a crooked president, never served a day in jail and lived to tell about it.
Re: Survival Preparedness is not just for when the SHTF #99287
02/10/2008 04:17 AM
02/10/2008 04:17 AM
A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC
ConSigCor Online content
ConSigCor  Online Content
A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC
Bear Wanderer,

The loss of city water in year area is nothing new.

Your best bet if you intend to stay in that area is to develop a cistern or better yet drill a well.

"The time for war has not yet come, but it will come and that soon, and when it does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the scabbard." Gen. T.J. Jackson, March 1861
Re: Survival Preparedness is not just for when the SHTF #99288
02/10/2008 11:52 AM
02/10/2008 11:52 AM
West Virginia
B
Bear Wanderer Offline OP
B
West Virginia
ConSigCor My greatest problem is lack of choices. I live in an apartment so I do not have a choice where to water comes from. I also do not know what they put in the water. I could spend the money to get a reverse osmosis filtration and then store it with the proper precaution but this is pricey. I have read different articles on this forum about chlorine in water. All I have to say is that I have worked with it and I do not believe it is safe. There was and is a danger of chlorine gas if it is not handled properly. As soon as I have better choices I will make them. If someone can point me to a filtration system to take chlorine out of water (not reverse osmosis filtration) please let me know.
BW

Re: Survival Preparedness is not just for when the SHTF #99289
02/10/2008 12:32 PM
02/10/2008 12:32 PM
NW Central Ohio
W
Wyrm Offline
Wyrm  Offline
W
NW Central Ohio
Bear, I don't know about filtration, but distillation should do it. That'll remove pretty much anything from water, since impurities (i.e., anything but water) can't remain in the water when it changes state from liquid to gas. Of course, if said impurities have a boiling point lower than water, they will boil off first, and depending on your setup you could get them right back in your water anyway. If you could keep the water at 210 F for a while, just in case of anything with a boiling point lower than water, that should do it. I can't think of anything that would be in water that would have a lower boiling point, but it's possible.

Really shouldn't be that hard to make a still for this kind of thing, either. A tea kettle or pressure cooker, some copper tubing, and whatever you want the water to go into for storage.

I might have to try this sometime.

Insert something witty here
Re: Survival Preparedness is not just for when the SHTF #99290
02/10/2008 01:19 PM
02/10/2008 01:19 PM
up yours!
F
FyreStorm Offline
FyreStorm  Offline
F
up yours!
If you use some kind of vented bung (provided you keep your water in a drum like me) and the water has chlorine in it, there would be no buildup of chlorine gas. Unless you put chlorination in your water yourself, municipalities use very little when chlorinating water for use by residents of that city. Therefore, you should have no fear of chlorine gas buildup. I work with it everyday, not to mention other chemicals. Chlorine is absolutely hazardous if mixed with say Hydrochloric acid(muriatic)which will definitely emit chlorine gas. In water I would say that you have little to worry about really.

Re: Survival Preparedness is not just for when the SHTF #99291
02/11/2008 06:23 AM
02/11/2008 06:23 AM
West Virginia
B
Bear Wanderer Offline OP
B
West Virginia
I do not mind the chlorine so much as the chlorine mixed with iron in water. I do not know if it is because we have low water around here but the water has a horrible iron taste and some days it seems as if clay has gotten into the water. I may try that distilling idea, any idea if it takes the chlorine taste out?

Re: Survival Preparedness is not just for when the SHTF #99292
02/11/2008 01:12 PM
02/11/2008 01:12 PM
up yours!
F
FyreStorm Offline
FyreStorm  Offline
F
up yours!
If you distill water doesn't it actually turn to vapor and then back to water? If it does during distilling then I believe all impurities would be distilled out of the water.

Re: Survival Preparedness is not just for when the SHTF #99293
02/11/2008 01:24 PM
02/11/2008 01:24 PM
Tulsa
airforce Online content
Administrator
airforce  Online Content
Administrator
Tulsa
Originally posted by FyreStorm:
If you distill water doesn't it actually turn to vapor and then back to water? If it does during distilling then I believe all impurities would be distilled out of the water.
Many chemicals have a lower boiling point than water, and will be carried over into the distillate. An an example, alcohol has a boiling point of about 175 degrees. If you were trying to get pure water or pure alcohol, you would have to distill the alcohol out first, then distill the water into a separate container.

If you are trying to remove chlorine or fluoride from the water (or pesticide residue or other contaminants), you have to monitor the temperature closely as you run the distillation.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Re: Survival Preparedness is not just for when the SHTF #99294
03/30/2008 04:47 PM
03/30/2008 04:47 PM
OR
J
JJackyll Offline
JJackyll  Offline
J
OR
If its the taste and or pallatability your worried about look into getting an activated carbon filtration system or just get a small 4 x 10 carbon filter cartridge system. I believe they sell them at sam waltons atrocity and or some other stores. It may take a little plumbing to get it installed and it'll most likely be just for a single faucet. Since your in an apartment. As far as potability goes the chlorine they add is probably barely enough to kill the bacteria in the water. So believe it or not the poison is actually helping to keep you alive and healthy. But like I said look into carbon filtration it removes particulate matter,unpleasant flavor and odor making the drinking experience more pleasant. Or you could just stick to beer(that's my method.)

Moderated by  airforce, ConSigCor 

©>
©All information posted on this site is the private property of the individual author and AWRM.net and may not be reproduced without permission. © 2001-2020 AWRM.net All Rights Reserved.