04/09/2008 02:32 PM
04/09/2008 02:32 PM
West Virginia
B
Bear Wanderer Offline OP
Bear Wanderer  Offline OP
B
West Virginia
With the increasing amount of intrusion into my privacy and the increased demand for me giving up my liberties to "live" in this society I have been thinking very seriously about going off grid. I have read through many different topic and issues and realize that if I do it now it will be easier later. I have been reading through articles on http://www.alpharubicon.com/index2.html and wondered what you all thought. I would also like to hear from you who live off the grid and are self-sufficient.
-----------------
Living free starts in the mind not in the body.

Re: Off Grid #99331
04/09/2008 04:08 PM
04/09/2008 04:08 PM
Central Virginia; VIM
S
SBL Offline
SBL  Offline
S
Central Virginia; VIM
I think to truly live "off the grid" these days, you'd have to fake your death & move out into the extreme wilderness with a bow & plenty of arrows & live in a hidden cave.

On equipment: You get what you inspect, not what you expect.
On training: Our drills are bloodless battles so that our battles are bloody drills.
On tactics: Cheating just means you're serious about winning.
Re: Off Grid #99332
04/09/2008 04:09 PM
04/09/2008 04:09 PM
Central Virginia; VIM
S
SBL Offline
SBL  Offline
S
Central Virginia; VIM
Or pose as a homeless guy in a big city. But even they get harrassed by the cops all the time, so it wouldn't be much better than your present situation.

On equipment: You get what you inspect, not what you expect.
On training: Our drills are bloodless battles so that our battles are bloody drills.
On tactics: Cheating just means you're serious about winning.
Re: Off Grid #99333
04/10/2008 02:37 AM
04/10/2008 02:37 AM
Malaysia
F
Flick Offline
Flick  Offline
F
Malaysia
Some time ago, Shieldwolf recommended I get a subscription to Backwoods Home Magazine, which I did. It is a wealth of useful information; I highly recommend it.

http://www.backwoodshome.com

Re: Off Grid #99334
04/10/2008 04:42 PM
04/10/2008 04:42 PM
USA
A
A.Patriot2 Offline
NCO Contributor
A.Patriot2  Offline
NCO Contributor

A
USA
Originally posted by Flick:
Some time ago, Shieldwolf recommended I get a subscription to Backwoods Home Magazine, which I did. It is a wealth of useful information; I highly recommend it.

I concur! wink

"In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot". Mark Twain - 1904
Re: Off Grid #99335
04/11/2008 03:47 PM
04/11/2008 03:47 PM
MT
C
C. M. Wolf Offline
C. M. Wolf  Offline
C
MT
The one largest problem with "Living off Grid" is the "Space" that you will need to occupy.

You'll need to live "Somewhere". The difference is just how much "Creature Comforts" do you intend to live with or do without. To break off most/all contact with society means doing without many comforts and even some necessities,(no one person can make "Everything" you might need or want).

Without going to extremes,(such as being on skidrow or moving to a deserted island), the choice basically comes down to living "Semi-off-Grid" or becoming a form of hermit or "Bedouin"/nomadic-hermit. Being a hermit has merit but you still would have to pay taxes and some other fees for the land that you would occupy. This is semi-off-grid as it still means that your are known by the government that you pay "Rent" too,(even IF you were to own your land outright and totally free and clear).

To not have to answer to anyone at any time is to never be at the place where they come to look for you. This is truely "Off-Grid", but it means that you own only what you can move right now and 'creature comforms' are very minimal. In other words, you have no home for anyone to kick the door in on and you may even be chased about just to find out who you are,(controling governments absolutely hate "mysteries").

Prior planning and great thought can solve many problems with any degree that you choose to be "Off-Grid" and still live comfortably. But always keep in mind, that two heads are always better than one,(many can be even better), but this also brings it's own types of concessions to living totally Off Grid.

If you weren't in VA, I be delighted to speak further with you about this. I'll still help where ever I may, but there simply are things that I would not be as able to show you.

wink IHTH

Michael

"Argue for your limitations, and in the end, when all is said and done, they're your's!"

"Sheeple & Shepherds, pick one! You can't be both no matter how you dress."

The higher ya go... the higher ya can get! Mountain Men Rock!
Re: Off Grid #99336
04/15/2008 12:39 PM
04/15/2008 12:39 PM
East Central Mississippi, C.S....
M
MedicineMan Offline

MedicineMan  Offline

M
East Central Mississippi, C.S....
You are on track with the Alpha Rubicon articles.

There are SEVERAL of them living "off grid".

Keep on with your ideas and do you and yours a BIG favor.
It's my goal as well.

Never mind the naysayers, they just don't know what they're talking about.

"MedicineMan"
http://www.dixiepreparedness.org

"If they come in the morning, I'll be right here."
-Mitch Walking Elk

MILITIA -
The original HOMELAND DEFENSE!!!
- MedicineMan (ECCMMDOC)
Re: Off Grid #99337
04/15/2008 03:09 PM
04/15/2008 03:09 PM
039 Btn 19 FF (IN)
H
Hoosier_Patriot Offline
Hoosier_Patriot  Offline
H
039 Btn 19 FF (IN)
Originally posted by Flick:

I'm lucky enough to have one of the contributing authors in my unit.

Bearwanderer, as ECCMMDOC said, it can be done. My wife and I have the same goal and a plan. Now if we could just get the money together to make it all happen.

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul
Re: Off Grid #99338
04/17/2008 03:07 AM
04/17/2008 03:07 AM
A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC
ConSigCor Online content
ConSigCor  Online Content
A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC
Bearwanderer,

If you are still in the area we can discuss numerous ways to accomplish your goals of being off grid. It is doable...if you understand that must become a way of life.

"The time for war has not yet come, but it will come and that soon, and when it does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the scabbard." Gen. T.J. Jackson, March 1861
Re: Off Grid #99339
04/17/2008 03:16 PM
04/17/2008 03:16 PM
West Virginia
B
Bear Wanderer Offline OP
Bear Wanderer  Offline OP
B
West Virginia
Thanks all. I am working on a "gypsy' plan at the moment. I was asked to leave where I am going to school so I am about to move again. With moving it is difficult to stockpile, really anything. I have trying to work through a basic plan that would include an rv type trailer with basics. Looking for work and being forced from a student life to working life made me start to figure out how to live off grid. As said above i think everyone must decide what level of off-grid you want. You will always be connected to the system it is just being disconnected as much as you are comfortable and are able. Again thanks all.

Moderated by  airforce, ConSigCor 

©>
©All information posted on this site is the private property of the individual author and AWRM.net and may not be reproduced without permission. © 2001-2020 AWRM.net All Rights Reserved.