07/15/2008 11:04 AM
07/15/2008 11:04 AM
California
C
Californian Offline OP
Californian  Offline OP
C
California
On a recent backpacking trip I came upon a cache of tons of hand tools. There were about 15 blue helmets, 15 of each- loppers, spade and square shovels, 8ft 1 inch steel 'pikes', normal and hand 5lb sledges, various axes, etc. etc.
It was poorly located, as I noticed the blue helmets from about 100 yds away on the trail.
Further down the trail we came upon a very well stocked camp with no horses. RO water systems, wheel barrows, a huge canvas tent, portable picnic tables, propane tanks, and a 'wall' under a tarp that had hooks holding 10-15 packs.
Keep in mind, we were about 4 hours hike up a steep uphill canyon from the trailhead.

Upon talking to one of the 2 people at the camp, we found that they were part of the California Conservation Corps, and that they maintain the backpacking trails.

I got to thinking, with the employment market failing, and society in urban settings getting more and more irate at their poverty... What a great idea to go live in the woods, make stable money (through the summer), get a little extra training in on the weekends (already being in the forest), perhaps make a few new friends of the movement, keep fit, and conquer my addiction to grids (natural gas, municipal water & electricity) and gasoline...

Plus if TSHTF I'd already be home wink

I'm debating it for next year, if things stick around that long...

What do you know of the conservation corps?

Re: Conservation Corps #99471
07/15/2008 11:10 AM
07/15/2008 11:10 AM
California
C
Californian Offline OP
Californian  Offline OP
C
California
[Linked Image]

Re: Conservation Corps #99472
07/15/2008 01:00 PM
07/15/2008 01:00 PM
West Virginia
T
Tobor Offline
Tobor  Offline
T
West Virginia
hermit ..i did the Conservation Corps when i was in high school in PA..4 guys 4 girls and one leader who was a biology teacher at my school..it was just a summer thing and we built a trail at a state park from scratch including the bridge across the stream using 2 phone poles and lumber..went to other parks to help the local park rangers once in a while..i bought my first (23 chan) CB and 5/8 wave antennna with the money..the CCC as it was known back in the 1930's was a govt funded work program for adults who needed the job..it got work done that was needed like parks and road projects and was well documented if you want to google it..

We've been fighting for a long time. We are outnumbered by the machines who are working around the clock, without quit. Humans have a strength that can not be measured. This is John Connor. If you are listening to this, you are the resistance."
Re: Conservation Corps #99473
07/15/2008 05:00 PM
07/15/2008 05:00 PM
Central Virginia; VIM
S
SBL Offline
SBL  Offline
S
Central Virginia; VIM
The CCC was called "Roosevelt's Tree Army," & that's exactly what it was, an army with shovels instead of rifles. The workers were led by military officers, which is exactly why state & national park rangers (& boy scouts for that matter) wear uniforms that resemble the military uniforms of the 1930s (green trousers & a button-down khaki shirt).

Obama has expressed interest in resurrecting the CCC (he calls it "green jobs"). My concern is that they will become the labor & logistical force behind the coming fascist regime.

On equipment: You get what you inspect, not what you expect.
On training: Our drills are bloodless battles so that our battles are bloody drills.
On tactics: Cheating just means you're serious about winning.

Moderated by  airforce, ConSigCor 

©>
©All information posted on this site is the private property of the individual author and AWRM.net and may not be reproduced without permission. © 2001-2020 AWRM.net All Rights Reserved.