Attaining Fitness past age 50 #99733
12/29/2008 06:31 PM
12/29/2008 06:31 PM
Northeast Ohio
3rdJohn11 Offline OP
3rdJohn11  Offline OP
Northeast Ohio
I wasn't sure where to put this, so here it is:

I have a sincere question that I'd like feedback on...

Is it possible for a guy in his 50's to regain the stamina and fitness he had in earlier years, w/o the use of drugs/enhancers? I find myself at 53 in "less than prime" shape at what could be the worst timing of my life.... I see actors like Stallone staying in shape, but assume he has access to trainers, et al, that I could never hope for.

As a 2009 resolution, I intend to do all the exercises, hiking, etc. that I admit I have let slip in recent years. I really do believe I could carry through, too.

BUT, we read that at this age the testosterone levels are lower, same with growth hormone levels. If the body doesn't rebuild like a youngster, will there be results worth working for? Complicating things, I know I have low thyroid levels and need to remedy that, along with marginally high blood pressure and high cholesterol (ain't America great! land of plenty..)

Are there any legal, attainable "supplements" that would enhance this effort and help get results? I'm not really interested in anecdotal stories, I want to know of success stories! I'm not rich, but would invest in my body's future if I knew there was a pay-off. I'm willing to do the work but need the incentive of knowing there is solid hope for results.

I suppose I'm looking to hear from those of you in my (older) boat, and the challenges you've conquered or faced.

Younger guys go ahead and chip in too! Just don't tell me how easy it will be to get buffed-- you haven't faced old man time yet!

3rdJohn11
"Beloved, follow not that which is evil, but that which is good. He that doeth good is of God: but he that doeth evil hath not seen God."
Re: Attaining Fitness past age 50 #99734
12/30/2008 02:24 AM
12/30/2008 02:24 AM
43BN-37FF
Rudy Offline
Rudy  Offline
43BN-37FF
This will be an interesting thread!. I'm in the same boat, and it's more crowded than anyone is willing to admit.

Rudy out
"Once the pin is pulled, Mr. Handgrenade is no longer our friend."
Re: Attaining Fitness past age 50 #99735
12/30/2008 02:30 AM
12/30/2008 02:30 AM
behind you
D
dreadstalker Offline
NCO Contributor
dreadstalker  Offline
NCO Contributor
D
behind you
At 48 I haven't faced that problem ...YET.
Of course I lead a active lifestyle and my occupation is pretty physical. Even so I recognize that I am not the person I was in my twenties (despite the fact I normally outwork most twenty year olds.

But can you regain what you once had? Simple answer is no. Father time doesn't have a reverse gear. However you can improve your strength and stamina. Just keep your goals realistic and attainable.
You also have an advantage. By now you should have learned to work smarter not harder. Use it.

LIVE FREE---DIE WELL
Re: Attaining Fitness past age 50 #99736
12/30/2008 02:37 AM
12/30/2008 02:37 AM
midwest
M
mazza Offline
mazza  Offline
M
midwest
Join a gym and start eating right. Its important that you realize everything takes more time to happen when you are older.
Start lifting and get yourself walking, then start lifting more and walking longer distances, then distances with a pack on your shoulders.
You wont see your 20's again, but months down the line you will see improvements that will amaze you.
Just don't expect to see it happen overnight or you will be disheartened and quit.
I found it helpful to have very specific reasons in my mind when I workout. I don't listen to music, I keep my mind focused on why I am doing it-
stay the course.

The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.
Re: Attaining Fitness past age 50 #99737
12/30/2008 05:11 AM
12/30/2008 05:11 AM
MT
C
C. M. Wolf Offline
C. M. Wolf  Offline
C
MT
First of all, I have never let myself get to a point of being out of shape,(I guess I'm one of those that someone like stallone would call a "trainer", I instruct H2H, karate, self defence, etc).

But for those that have gotten to a point that they noticably need work, understand that your "Resolve" and "Determination" to correct the situation must be "Double Timed". This is 'battle #1'. Because if you cannot find this within yourself, you will evenually give up and go back to planting your 'potato on the couch'!(This giving up may tend to anger me... don't make me waste my time... ! )

The second thing that one needs to do is accurately ascess their own condition.
Go for a one mile walk, dressed correctly for the weather, and keep track of the time that it takes you to calmly walk with a steady pace, this one mile. Then check your pulse twice during this walk, halfway and at the end. If at any time your pulse is above 30 in 15 seconds or 120 per min... go down to the shoe store and pick up some good "Hiking Boots" because you are going to be doing some serious mileage for the next few months! If your pulse is much higher than that or you can't finish this first mile, instead of the shoe store, hit-up the bicycle shop,(you're still going to do some serious mileage!). It's your own damned fault "tato-boy", now get off your butt!

If you can finish this first mile with a somewhere near normal pulse, pat yourself on the back,(or have someone do it for you, if you can't reach it), don't get cocky, you haven't started yet!

You need to start getting 8 hrs of sleep every night, not 6 or less, not 10 or more... eight hours! Just shut up and do it!
Then you need to start eating "right", and that damned sure don't mean everything in sight just because you can chew and drink it well!
Start eating plenty of vegatables,(especially greens), some meat, some grains, etc. Don't bother with "Diets" because all you have to do is drop the "T&S" in Diets and you can see where they will lead you! Just eat a well portioned, balanced regiment of food and never forget that "Hunger is 60% THIRST", drink plenty of "Water", fruit juices, vegatable juices, soups, ect. "ALCOHOL" Ain't a "JUICE"! (Don't start screwing around now or you are done before you even start! That means no sugar coated crap of any kind... you should have been thinking about this a long time ago! "Donut-Boy"!)

If you can "walk" without having a stroke, start doing 5 miles per day... every day.(Don't you dare give me any back-talk, you ain't running or carring a 50 pound pack on this 5 mile 'walk'... yet!)
Start stretching out for 15 mins when you wake up in the morning and 15 mins before you go to bed,(and don't forget to "BREATH" correctly... blue most likely ain't your color!).
Keep close attention to your breathing, it needs to be in and out through your nose and steady with any pace that you do in any workout that you take on. Concentrate!

(BTW, please don't get your back up over the wise-cracks and the delivery of this post, I was just trying to be a bit 'playful' in an "R. Lee Ermey" sort of way... wink )

Never Use Any Kind of Chemical or Drugs to get in shape, it's too much like trying to comb your hair with a .45 pistol!
Vitamin and Vitamin Supplements are ok, but mostly only C, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Zinc, Etc. With a thyroid situation, you most likely need these any way. Using "drugs" can be too much like building a bigger chemical imballance than you already may have, you ain't no Dr... so do it right or don't do it at all.

Since I can't "see you from my house", tell me what I'm working with from here.

wink

Michael

"Argue for your limitations, and in the end, when all is said and done, they're your's!"

"Sheeple & Shepherds, pick one! You can't be both no matter how you dress."

The higher ya go... the higher ya can get! Mountain Men Rock!
Re: Attaining Fitness past age 50 #99738
12/30/2008 05:21 AM
12/30/2008 05:21 AM
Central Virginia; VIM
S
SBL Offline
SBL  Offline
S
Central Virginia; VIM
Get a gym membership at a gym that has a pool, a big & deep pool. Aquatic exercise is great because it is high impact on the muscles & low impact on the joints & bones; perfect for the vintage population.

Most gyms will have exercise classes, including aquatic ones. Sign up for as many classes as you can, this will keep you on a routine of organized physical training.

The thing about gyms though is at the beginning of the year there will be a LOT of people there (New Year's Resolutioners) but by mid February most of them will be gone.

On equipment: You get what you inspect, not what you expect.
On training: Our drills are bloodless battles so that our battles are bloody drills.
On tactics: Cheating just means you're serious about winning.
Re: Attaining Fitness past age 50 #99739
12/30/2008 05:12 PM
12/30/2008 05:12 PM
Northeast Ohio
3rdJohn11 Offline OP
3rdJohn11  Offline OP
Northeast Ohio
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

I didn't mention this, but I do not smoke, drink alcohol, do any drugs, don't chew or date girls that do... smile

CMWolf hit it on the head, it has been couch potato time, and I appreciate the regimen suggestions. (If I can just finish that tub of fudge mom sent over at Christmas...)

I look forward to further replies to this thread...

3rdJohn11
"Beloved, follow not that which is evil, but that which is good. He that doeth good is of God: but he that doeth evil hath not seen God."
Re: Attaining Fitness past age 50 #99740
12/30/2008 05:59 PM
12/30/2008 05:59 PM
Seattle - that place - ε&...
D
Doktor_Jeep Offline
Doktor_Jeep  Offline

D
Seattle - that place - ε&...
Remember: %110 percent effort will fail every time as the expectation built up from that level of effort makes the perception of success impossible. Persistence however will succeed every time.

Fuel
Is running
Fuel
Is coming
Fuel
Is running
Down
Down
Down my face
Re: Attaining Fitness past age 50 #99741
12/31/2008 03:13 PM
12/31/2008 03:13 PM
55th Bn 30th FF (WI)
V
Virtus Honoris Offline
Virtus Honoris  Offline
V
55th Bn 30th FF (WI)
Originally posted by Doktor_Jeep:
Remember: %110 percent effort will fail every time as the expectation built up from that level of effort makes the perception of success impossible. Persistence however will succeed every time.
That is well said.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

I Corps 2nd Division

Moderated by  airforce, ConSigCor 

©>
©All information posted on this site is the private property of the individual author and AWRM.net and may not be reproduced without permission. © 2001-2020 AWRM.net All Rights Reserved.