Brave New World
V
virginiaJim Offline OP
NCO Contributor
virginiaJim  Offline OP
NCO Contributor
V
Brave New World
Well the wife and I are talking again about moving to Montana. I dont know the first thing about the state other than what I have heard or read. What are some of the good afforadable places to live that are remote in the mountians of the western part of the state? What about the eastern part of the state?

I can find work doing almost anything I think so I am not worried and my wife has a home business off the internet so we feel we can pretty much plug into any town.

Im not a rich man and everytime we look on teh internet for land and a home the prices look a little higher than what I would have thought.

anyway, any advice or info on the state would be very welcome.

thanks.

Stand up for the Republic!

www.freestateproject.com

New Hampshire, Land of Liberty!
Re: Where is a good place in Montana? #100329
02/19/2009 02:30 PM
02/19/2009 02:30 PM
MT
C
C. M. Wolf Offline
C. M. Wolf  Offline
C
MT
Great Falls. I know people there, I've been there, I very much like it there... for many, many reasons.

Michael

"Argue for your limitations, and in the end, when all is said and done, they're your's!"

"Sheeple & Shepherds, pick one! You can't be both no matter how you dress."

The higher ya go... the higher ya can get! Mountain Men Rock!
Re: Where is a good place in Montana? #100330
02/21/2009 07:44 AM
02/21/2009 07:44 AM
Montana
B
Bona_na_Croin Offline
Bona_na_Croin  Offline
B
Montana
Sorry I didn't see this post earlier.

I've only been here for a few months so I can't speak with great authority about the economy as a whole. Great Falls is nice, I live in the Bitterroot Valley myself and things are pretyy good. I'm just thrilled there's a public range 15 min or so from my house. Keep looking for land/house. Some of these properties have been for sale for 3+ years. The bubble has gotta burst sometime.

How much land are you looking for?

Bona na Croin- Neither Collar nor Crown

"Free where I live or die where I stand"
Re: Where is a good place in Montana? #100331
02/21/2009 08:18 PM
02/21/2009 08:18 PM
Montana
S
stealth mode Offline
SNCO Contributor
stealth mode  Offline
SNCO Contributor
S
Montana
I've been here since 05 and I love it, we live near Helena outside of town , we are off grid and the land price for that type of property was resonable.

Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils

Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils.
Re: Where is a good place in Montana? #100332
02/22/2009 05:01 AM
02/22/2009 05:01 AM
111th Battalion/41FF/M Corp
K
KD7ONE Offline
KD7ONE  Offline
K
111th Battalion/41FF/M Corp
I am in Billings (largest city in MT). The economy here is half way decent.

Re: Where is a good place in Montana? #100333
09/11/2009 04:01 PM
09/11/2009 04:01 PM
behind enemy lines
N
noname762 Offline
noname762  Offline
N
behind enemy lines
Some years ago I did some traveling in Montana. The areas I liked best were around Libby, Eureka and Red Lodge. In each place the folks were much friendlier than I was used to. Mind you now I was on vacation. I spent about 2 weeks near Red Lodge a good sized town. Had supper at a mom and pop cafe downtown Eureka, had a VERY FILLING meal, went to the Pioneer Museum there.

If your heart is not set on Montana you might give Idaho a looksee. Bonners Ferry and Wallace are nice towns. A friend of mine lives near Blanchard. He's pretty much a lunatic but a more skilled blacksmith and overall good man than he will be tough to find. I don't figure what I've said here really helps you out much; these are just my thoughts.

Grass fed Beef..it's what's fer supper July 4th.
Re: Where is a good place in Montana? #100334
11/08/2009 03:34 AM
11/08/2009 03:34 AM
behind enemy lines
N
noname762 Offline
noname762  Offline
N
behind enemy lines
Originally posted by virginiaJim:
Well the wife and I are talking again about moving to Montana. I dont know the first thing about the state other than what I have heard or read. What are some of the good afforadable places to live that are remote in the mountians of the western part of the state? What about the eastern part of the state?

I can find work doing almost anything I think so I am not worried and my wife has a home business off the internet so we feel we can pretty much plug into any town.

Im not a rich man and everytime we look on teh internet for land and a home the prices look a little higher than what I would have thought.

anyway, any advice or info on the state would be very welcome.

thanks.
Back in 1991 I spent a fair bit of time in NW Montana. All over Kalispell-Libby-Whitefish-Eureka-Happys Inn. Almost got in a fight with a guy who was the spittin image of John Denver. I kid you not. Of all the bigger towns I was around I liked Libby and Eureka the best. Both cuz they were small towns. NOT Post Office-general store-1 saloon-1 gas station 2 churches small but small just the same. I am looking at land prices these days but wasn't back then.

If you buy a place in Montana you would do well to buy a good strong 4x4 WITH SNOW PLOW attachment or a good tractor. Easily one third of all trucks I saw while I was in MT had plow rigs on front end and 3/4ths of all trucks I saw were 4x4s. And I was there during the summer.

Grass fed Beef..it's what's fer supper July 4th.

Moderated by  airforce, ConSigCor 

©>
©All information posted on this site is the private property of the individual author and AWRM.net and may not be reproduced without permission. © 2001-2020 AWRM.net All Rights Reserved.