05/10/2010 09:04 AM
05/10/2010 09:04 AM
A 105-11FF Somewhere in the C...
C
coydog Offline OP
coydog  Offline OP
C
I was out working on the garden today and thought I would share a recipe I use to keep the critters away from my plants. A lot of you probably have something similar so please add on..

Simple critter B gone Tea

1 large jug of water

A handful or so of dried or semi dry marigold flowers.

1 cup Juice/Oil from minced garlic

Place marigolds and garlic oil in jug. Fill with warm water and let sit in the sun for a week or so. Once it is Rip (You will know when) it can be cut down and added to a pump sprayer but make sure you screen out any solids or it will clog your sprayer. Spray on veggies, fruit and flower plants. Deer, rabbits etc hate both marigolds and garlic and will keep off in addition the Marigold will help repel a lot of the bugs you don't want around as well. It is simple, cheap and very effective.

Halt spraying a week out of harvest to avoid the repellent taste carrying into the kitchen

"State a moral case to a ploughman & a professor. The former will decide it as well, & often better than the latter,
because he has not been led astray by artificial rules."
Re: Garden Tea #100638
05/10/2010 11:04 AM
05/10/2010 11:04 AM
Central Virginia; VIM
S
SBL Offline
SBL  Offline
S
Central Virginia; VIM
Interesting! Thank you very much. I hate having to resort to chemical pesticides, so recipes like this are always welcome.

On equipment: You get what you inspect, not what you expect.
On training: Our drills are bloodless battles so that our battles are bloody drills.
On tactics: Cheating just means you're serious about winning.
Re: Garden Tea #100639
05/10/2010 03:44 PM
05/10/2010 03:44 PM
PA
P
propovednik Offline
propovednik  Offline
P
PA
I will definitely give your recipe a try, Coydog. My family has used a similar method for generations now. Boil as much garlic as you can spare and hot peppers (my Dad uses cayenne but I’ve recently switched to Chinese five color) in water for a few hours. Strain, pour into a spray bottle and then spray on plants or create a large barrier around the garden. Works pretty well for rabbits and deer. The only thing it doesn’t seem to bother is the ground hogs but I’ve got a sneaky blue heeler that takes care of that for me.

As far as insects go I don’t have a real problem with them because I keep a good crop rotation going. The trick is to not plant the same thing in the same spot for at least 3 years. It can get tricky but if you actually keep records of your garden it works. A few bugs won’t hurt your crop; it’s when their eggs hatch the next year that you have an infestation. That’s my theory anyways.

Only God has absolute authority, and only God can require absolute obedience. -Rushdoony
Re: Garden Tea #100640
05/11/2010 02:48 AM
05/11/2010 02:48 AM
C
coydog Offline OP
coydog  Offline OP
C
Diatomaceous Earth also works great for keeping bugs at bay. Very good for slugs to its non toxic and to a bug the microscopic particles are the equivalent of us walking barefoot on razors. It just dosent hold up to the rain very well.

"State a moral case to a ploughman & a professor. The former will decide it as well, & often better than the latter,
because he has not been led astray by artificial rules."

Moderated by  airforce, ConSigCor 

©>
©All information posted on this site is the private property of the individual author and AWRM.net and may not be reproduced without permission. © 2001-2020 AWRM.net All Rights Reserved.