05/28/2010 05:54 PM
05/28/2010 05:54 PM
Central Virginia; VIM
S
SBL Offline OP
SBL  Offline OP
S
Central Virginia; VIM
Is there a quick and easy way to test water that one may come across in a post-SHTF situation? I know I should take Hollywood with a block of salt, but I remember that at the beginning of The Postman, Kevin Costner's character tests some standing water using a small test kit.

This appears to be just a simple PH test kit available at any store that sells aquarium products. If so, it would really only tell the user if the water was basic or acidic. Nothing regarding POL contaminants or biological pathogens.

WITHOUT going into the various methods of filtration, are there any better ideas for testing water quickly and easily?

On equipment: You get what you inspect, not what you expect.
On training: Our drills are bloodless battles so that our battles are bloody drills.
On tactics: Cheating just means you're serious about winning.
Re: Water Quality Test #100657
05/29/2010 07:32 AM
05/29/2010 07:32 AM
Slipping the surly bonds of ea...
F
Flight-ER-Doc Online content
Flight-ER-Doc  Online Content
F
Slipping the surly bonds of ea...
No. There are no pocket, or even easy test kits I know of that will test for bacterial contamination, heavy metals contamination, organophosphate contamination, viral contamination, etc.

Emergency Medicine - saving the world from themselves, one at a time.

"Thou shalt not be a victim, thou shalt not be a perpetrator, but, above all, thou shalt not be a bystander."

I make the ADL soil themselves. And that makes me very happy smile
Re: Water Quality Test #100658
05/29/2010 12:22 PM
05/29/2010 12:22 PM
washington
mak9030mag Offline
mak9030mag  Offline
washington
Use the computer while you still can, and study up on all the different ways to filter and decontaminate water and different places to find it.

Like what types of different materials natural/manmade to use for filtering.

Or if you are useing bleach/chlorine to decon water how much to use for 5 gallons/1 gallon/2 quart/1 quart so on and so on.

How long do I boil the water for.After it was filtered.

Primitive way of boiling water is to place red hot rocks from fire into a container holding filtered water.

Mak
Re: Water Quality Test #100659
05/29/2010 01:31 PM
05/29/2010 01:31 PM
Central Virginia; VIM
S
SBL Offline OP
SBL  Offline OP
S
Central Virginia; VIM
Originally posted by SBL:
WITHOUT going into the various methods of filtration, are there any better ideas for testing water quickly and easily?
Apparently Mak didn't read this part.

On training: Our drills are bloodless battles so that our battles are bloody drills.
Re: Water Quality Test #100660
05/29/2010 05:29 PM
05/29/2010 05:29 PM
washington
mak9030mag Offline
mak9030mag  Offline
washington
"Apparently Mak didn't read this part."

SBL,
I did read your question and you are refusing too see the answer. You were already told "No". So I was saying (to help you since you apparently needed it seeing as you asked the question) what you can do because there are no testing kits.
You need to use your computer for researching versus just asking questions and refusing the answers. There is so much knowledge to be had that is easy to obtain because of the computer world. You need to use that to the best of your ability before it is all lost.
No one on here can always give you the answer because it requires a lot of time and energy but you can be directed into the right area to look. You got a simple no, and I am letting you know what you should do in order to obtain that information. So if for further discussions you don't actually WANT a answer, don't ask the questions.
This is not a pissing contest or who's thing is bigger then who's. This is about people coming together for one common goal. If you can not stand by that, then maybe you should not be on here. If you can stand by that, then by all means keep posting. When you ask a question you need to look at ALL of the answers. Mine was a simple where to look up your answers.
We are all suppose to be on the same page, please get on it.

Mak
Re: Water Quality Test #100661
05/30/2010 03:09 AM
05/30/2010 03:09 AM
Central Virginia; VIM
S
SBL Offline OP
SBL  Offline OP
S
Central Virginia; VIM
The question was "Is there a test?"
The question was NOT "How do I filter water?"
YOU answered the latter, even though I specifically requested that information on filtration techniques NOT be presented.

Re: Water Quality Test #100662
05/30/2010 04:45 AM
05/30/2010 04:45 AM
washington
mak9030mag Offline
mak9030mag  Offline
washington
SBL,
You base your posts on movies and video games. So, since apparently you do not want to know anything beyond your question, here's the deal: You do not reply to my posts and I will not reply to yours. That should make life a lot simpler.

Mak
Re: Water Quality Test #100663
05/30/2010 12:11 PM
05/30/2010 12:11 PM
Central Virginia; VIM
S
SBL Offline OP
SBL  Offline OP
S
Central Virginia; VIM
You are trying to pick a fight. Refocus your efforts on something constructive.

Re: Water Quality Test #100664
05/30/2010 12:24 PM
05/30/2010 12:24 PM
Central Virginia; VIM
S
SBL Offline OP
SBL  Offline OP
S
Central Virginia; VIM
I've found water test kits like this:

http://www.ionizers.org/water-test-kits.html

But it doesn't seem reusable or practical. The reason I've brought my question here on AWRM is because so many members here have experience with a lot of different products. Over the years I've gotten a LOT of great tips on gear and tactics from the militiamen on here, and I'd be a fool to ignore the wealth of knowledge here on this forum.

Moderated by  airforce, ConSigCor 

©>
©All information posted on this site is the private property of the individual author and AWRM.net and may not be reproduced without permission. © 2001-2020 AWRM.net All Rights Reserved.