01/04/2015 03:14 PM
01/04/2015 03:14 PM
Unoccupied Canada
C
CK Offline OP
CK  Offline OP
C
Unoccupied Canada
Does anybody wonder what we'll be doing if we have to deploy for say, a week, living off only what we can carry in our SUVs and on our backs?

I believe the human body can eat a lot of disgusting food. I get haggis 4-6 times a month at a local restaurant. I love it. If I could figure out how to take a haggis with me for an FTX, I would.

However, the human body cannot handle bad food. If I were to live off pemmican, dandelion leaves and crabapples, my system would eventually revolt. The difference is that while some foods are disgusting, they are nutritionally solid. Other foods are nutritious, but unbalanced. Also remember, some wild game may have parasites and diseases we don't know a lot about. There is a reason we don't just cut bits off a dead coyote and fry it up for dinner, during regular civilian life.

If my body were to revolt what would happen? Nausea, the runs, dehydration (for example Powerade puts water into the intestines when it needs to go into the blood) and eventually lethargy.

What do I suggest? Have a rubbermaid tote in your garage. In it, put the kind of foods you like to eat in regular life. Next to that tote, put either a Hibachi or a propane camp stove. Make it so that if you were mobilized, you open up your minivan door, or your trunk, or the back of your SUV, you just toss the tote in, grab your stove and go. Don't pack foods you "could eat if you had to", even though they're cheap.

As for water? A 24 of water costs about 6 bucks, taxes and deposits included. A 10 litre jug is equally inexpensive. When you go to the grocery store, buy an extra 24. When you go to Costco, get some juice or powdered drink mix.

If you are deployed, you cannot live off water filtered by a backpacking filter, as you will likely be busy either patrolling, or dug in, or even on guard duty. You need to be able to get small bottles of water which you can drink and toss, or refill in the rear.

I have an LDS friend who mixes grape juice (he grows his own grapes) with ginger ale. Quite a treat. Many people pay 5 bucks for a bottle of Martinellis. If you mix juice and carbonated pop (ginger ale, or Sprite) , you get basically the same thing.

Anybody have any thoughts?

CK

Re: One Week Deployment: Food and Water #101688
01/04/2015 04:54 PM
01/04/2015 04:54 PM
Washington
S
sempergumby Offline
sempergumby  Offline
S
Washington
Good points all around. Is there a plan to acclimate to native or wild food as your stores deplete? You have me rethinking my initial plans.

Always flexible
Re: One Week Deployment: Food and Water #101689
01/04/2015 05:15 PM
01/04/2015 05:15 PM
Tulsa
airforce Online content
Administrator
airforce  Online Content
Administrator
Tulsa
Originally posted by sempergumby:
Is there a plan to acclimate to native or wild food as your stores deplete?
The best way to do that is to begin using them now. Whenever you bake a loaf of bread, substitute some of the wheat with acorn meal. Mix some wild greens in with your soup or salad, or use some cooked wild greens as a side dish. You'll be eating health, and save a little money at the same time. And when things do go to heck, the disruption won't seem quite as abrupt.

You can find a few examples in this topic .

Onward and upward,
airforce

Re: One Week Deployment: Food and Water #101690
03/04/2015 06:54 AM
03/04/2015 06:54 AM
Western States
Breacher Offline
Breacher  Offline
Western States
Something I recently learned from the European side: Those portable water filters can go bad if they have ever been frozen with water in them, and to make matters worse, some of them cannot really be fully drained once they have had water in them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3FxSRK6ymk

Life liberty, and the pursuit of those who threaten them.

Trump: not the president America needs, but the president America deserves.
Re: One Week Deployment: Food and Water #101691
03/04/2015 07:36 AM
03/04/2015 07:36 AM
washington
mak9030mag Offline
mak9030mag  Offline
washington
Breacher thanks for posting video

Mak
Re: One Week Deployment: Food and Water #101692
03/04/2015 07:45 AM
03/04/2015 07:45 AM
washington
mak9030mag Offline
mak9030mag  Offline
washington
If one has to go totally native. Ie foraging only. There is a side effect some may incounture. It's called the runs found out the hard way.
As mentioned earlier above start now. Learn how to find and start eating what you find in your area.
Something's may agree with you and others will not.
While doing this experiment make sure you don't forget the toilet paper. Also mint tea if it is avalible. Will help settle your stomach.

Mak

Moderated by  airforce, ConSigCor 

©>
©All information posted on this site is the private property of the individual author and AWRM.net and may not be reproduced without permission. © 2001-2020 AWRM.net All Rights Reserved.