02/16/2009 11:29 AM
Tulsa
airforce Online content OP
Administrator
airforce  Online Content OP
Administrator
Tulsa
This one is from Chattanooga, Tennessee:

The suit, filed by attorney Mike Raulston, says on Feb. 13, 2008, the Bradys were at home when the officers suddenly came in, though they did not have any kind of warrant. The suit does not say where the house is located.

It says Officer Tinney forced Tarran Brady to the floor while holding a loaded gun to her head and threatening her.

The suit says Officer Fuller pointed his loaded gun at Randy Brady and ordered him to also get down. But Mr. Brady refused to do so and asked if they had a warrant.

It says the couple was held at gunpoint while the home was searched, placing them, their children, their spouses, nephews, nieces and grandchildren “in mortal fear.”

The suit says, the officers left “after realizing they had made a mistake.”
Onward and upward,
airforce

Re: Another Botched Raid - Incident Report #149807
02/16/2009 03:12 PM
02/16/2009 03:12 PM
Trapped in Rhode Island
L
Lord Vader Offline
Lord Vader  Offline
L
Trapped in Rhode Island
I think a nice Coral Snake placed in a drawer or someplace interesting would convince some cops to be more careful in who they mess with.

And Large Bear Traps are useful for more then just Bears.

VINCE AUT MORIRE (Conquer or Die)
Re: Another Botched Raid - Incident Report #149808
02/17/2009 07:40 AM
02/17/2009 07:40 AM
43BN-37FF
Rudy Offline
Rudy  Offline
43BN-37FF
A little powdered Lye on toilet seats can work wonders for someone assigned a desk job.

Rudy out
"Once the pin is pulled, Mr. Handgrenade is no longer our friend."
Re: Another Botched Raid - Incident Report #149809
03/08/2009 11:20 AM
03/08/2009 11:20 AM
Tulsa
Administrator
Administrator
Tulsa
Here\'s one from Murfreesboro, Tennessee:

A father and son are furious after surviving a terrifying experience. They face criminal charges after police responded to their home by mistake.

Murfreesboro officers responded to a 911 emergency call and somehow ended up at the wrong apartment.

Roger and Justin Chilton woke to a pounding on their door at 3 a.m. Sunday. Justin - a decorated military policeman who had just returned from Iraq - answered the door holding his gun.

The officers then arrested Justin and his father.

"They held us at gunpoint, slammed us to the ground, stomped my hands and butted me in the back of the head with a shotgun," said Justin.

The officers charged the Chilton's with resisting arrest and aggravated assault for the incident.

Police did not drop the charges even after learning they responded to the wrong house.

Murfreesboro police chief Glenn Chrisman has opened an internal investigation.
Onward and upward,
airforce

Re: Another Botched Raid - Incident Report #149810
03/08/2009 11:25 AM
03/08/2009 11:25 AM
Tulsa
Administrator
Administrator
Tulsa
And this one from Jeffersonville, Indiana.

Several police departments were fanning the area after the recent shooting of two police officers after a robbery. The woman grabbed a gun, thinking the cops were criminal intruders. Fortunately, they didn’t kill her.

They did, however, trigger a heart attack, requiring open heart surgery. We’ve seen this happen quite a few times in the past. When a cop goes down, other cops seem to think the Fourth Amendment, police procedures, and laws against excessive force no longer apply. They do.

Brenda Greenwell was awakened about midnight Thursday by two SWAT officers, dressed in camouflage, flipping on the lights in the bedroom of her Jeffersonville, Ind., home.
Advertisement

Her husband, Ed, was next door at his brother's house, he said, and neither he nor his 57-year-old wife, who has heart problems, had heard that two police officers had been wounded earlier that night at a local motel, allegedly by someone who knew their granddaughter.

The two officers came in through the home's unlocked rear door, Ed Greenwell said, and found his wife in the bedroom.

"She asked who they were," Greenwell said yesterday, and the two officers -- armed with rifles, he said -- said they were police but didn't show badges or other identification.

Greenwell said his wife grabbed a .38-caliber revolver kept at the head of their bed and chased the men outside, where he heard her screaming at them from the rear deck, gun in hand.

"It could have been a death sentence for her," Greenwell said, saying he was thankful the officers allowed him to get through their cordon and calm his wife.

But Greenwell, himself a former police officer in Harrison County and North Carolina, said he's troubled because he was never shown a search warrant allowing police to enter his house.

Brenda Greenwell had a hard time catching her breath after the incident, so her husband took her to Floyd Memorial Hospital in New Albany, where she remained yesterday awaiting heart bypass surgery for two blocked arteries. The surgery is set for today at Norton Hospital in Louisville.

Greenwell said his wife has had heart trouble and previously had a stent inserted to open a blocked artery.

Larry Thomas, a spokesman for the city of Jeffersonville, said it could not be determined yesterday whether a warrant had been issued to search the Greenwells' house. Police still are gathering reports being written by scores of officers from Thursday night's manhunt for the gunman, and it will take days to assemble and analyze the police response, he said.
Onward and upward,
airforce

Re: Another Botched Raid - Incident Report #149811
03/11/2009 03:12 PM
03/11/2009 03:12 PM
Tulsa
Administrator
Administrator
Tulsa
A Florida deputy accidentally shot a woman during a drug raid. Details are pretty sparse right now. When I find out more, I'll post it here.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Re: Another Botched Raid - Incident Report #149812
03/12/2009 02:02 PM
03/12/2009 02:02 PM
Tulsa
Administrator
Administrator
Tulsa
Unarmed college student shot in chest during raid. We now know the shot was fired by one of the officers.

The police haven’t yet said what if any drugs they found, or why the officer fired his weapon.

A police spokesman did assure the community that this was an “isolated incident.”

No, I’m not kidding.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Re: Another Botched Raid - Incident Report #149813
03/12/2009 02:21 PM
03/12/2009 02:21 PM
55th Bn 30th FF (WI)
V
Virtus Honoris Offline
Virtus Honoris  Offline
V
55th Bn 30th FF (WI)
Oh well, if it was just an isolated incident no big deal. a young college student has just been killed for no reason but not to worry.

I am sure his parents and family are relieved to hear it was just an accident.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

I Corps 2nd Division
Re: Another Botched Raid - Incident Report #149814
03/13/2009 11:48 AM
03/13/2009 11:48 AM
Tulsa
Administrator
Administrator
Tulsa
Grand Valley State students held a ...is off-campus apartment Wednesday night.

Kopp was unarmed, and according to police accounts, there was no struggle or fight. According to the Grand Rapids Press, Kopp is a film and video major, and identifies himself on his Facebook page as "a left-wing hippie peace-keeping liberal."

Just the sort of person that SWAT raids were made for. :rolleyes:

Thus far, the Ottawa County Sheriff's Department has said only that the raid was part of a drug investigation, and that Kopp was shot by one of its deputies. They haven't said what drugs they were looking for, what probable cause they had against Kopp, what if any drugs they found, or why Kopp was shot in the chest.

Also on Wednesday, police in Pinellas County, Florida say they accidentally shot 45-year-old Brenda McKay shortly after tearing down her door during a drug raid. McKay was shot in the thigh, and is expected to be okay. Police made no arrests after that raid.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Re: Another Botched Raid - Incident Report #149815
03/14/2009 11:02 AM
03/14/2009 11:02 AM
155th Bn 34 FF - KS
I
In Freedom's Cause Offline
In Freedom's Cause  Offline
I
155th Bn 34 FF - KS
This shit really pisses me off. How did them cops ever get considered "qualified" to carry a gun anyway? You would think that these cops would have some sort of training on when to start shooting, but it sounds like they don't have the discretion of a 3 year old.

It sounds like they just like to shoot their guns so they can feel big. Do they take scalps to wear on their belts too? Afterward do they sit around the proverbial campfire and boast about who was the toughest and who could kill the most babies before their conscience started to bother them?

I think its time for Americans to tell them we won't take anymore of their bs, and back it up with some firepower.

If to please the people, we offer what we ourselves disapprove, how can we afterward defend our work? Let us raise a standard to which the wise and the honest can repair; the event is in the Hand of God! - George Washington, Constitutional Convention
Re: Another Botched Raid - Incident Report #149816
03/14/2009 03:33 PM
03/14/2009 03:33 PM
43BN-37FF
Rudy Offline
Rudy  Offline
43BN-37FF
Originally posted by airforce:
Also on Wednesday, police in Pinellas County, Florida say they accidentally shot 45-year-old Brenda McKay shortly after tearing down her door during a drug raid. McKay was shot in the thigh, and is expected to be okay. Police made no arrests after that raid.[/QB]
If police had arrested McKay, they would have been financially responsible for here health and well being. (read medical bills)

Rudy out
"Once the pin is pulled, Mr. Handgrenade is no longer our friend."
Re: Another Botched Raid - Incident Report #149817
03/15/2009 12:20 PM
03/15/2009 12:20 PM
Tulsa
Administrator
Administrator
Tulsa
Derek Copp’s father spoke to the press, and says his son was shot when he moved his arm to cover his eyes from the police flashlights as they came into his apartment. That would be consistent with the police account that Copp was unarmed, and that there was no confrontation.

It was also be another piece of evidence showing the idiocy of using such violent, confrontational police tactics for nonviolent offenses. These raids have a low margin for error, for cops and the people they’re targeting. Look over the more than 170 posts in this topic; It's like I keep rehashing the same raid over and over.

The bullet apparently broke Copp’s rips, ruptured his right lung, and punctured his liver. The Copp family didn’t hear about the shooting until six hours after it happened. Even then they were told by hospital staff, not police. The police also still haven’t released why they raided Copp’s apartment, what if any illegal substances they found, or why one deputy felt the need to shoot the guy.

It seems pretty clear by now that Copp was a recreational pot smoker; there’s no indication thus far that he was dealing (not that that would justify shooting an unarmed man).

The Grand Rapids Press apparently t...’s Facebook account for drug references. No, I don't know why. But that's another rag I'll never subscribe to.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Re: Another Botched Raid - Incident Report #149818
03/18/2009 07:28 PM
03/18/2009 07:28 PM
Central Virginia; VIM
S
SBL Offline
SBL  Offline
S
Central Virginia; VIM
CATO has got a great webpage devoted to this topic.
http://www.cato.org/raidmap/#

Some things for us to pay close attention to are the mistakes these JBT squads are making. Sometime its just a simple mistake as tripping on your partner's foot and you end up shooting him in the back by accident. Stupid little mistakes can end up turning into huge problems, especially with CQB. Study it and practice.

On equipment: You get what you inspect, not what you expect.
On training: Our drills are bloodless battles so that our battles are bloody drills.
On tactics: Cheating just means you're serious about winning.
Re: Another Botched Raid - Incident Report #149819
03/18/2009 07:57 PM
03/18/2009 07:57 PM
Tulsa
Administrator
Administrator
Tulsa
Originally posted by SGTBloodLoss:
Some things for us to pay close attention to are the mistakes these JBT squads are making.
The mistake these squads are making is using violence to enforce a nonviolent law.

These raids are inherently high-risk. You can have the most highly trained, best-equipped SWAT team in the world, but you can never make these raids completely safe. Sooner or later, the law of averages will catch up with you.

The solution is, don't use these paramilitary tactics unless the situation calls for it. If you are attempting to take a serial killer into custody, then by all means bust down the door at night. But if you're looking for some guy who might have some dope, a simple knock on the door should suffice.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Re: Another Botched Raid - Incident Report #149820
03/30/2009 10:55 AM
03/30/2009 10:55 AM
Tulsa
Administrator
Administrator
Tulsa
Another double puppycide , this time in Buffalo. Police were looking for hydrocodone. They didn't find any.

When police stormed the house on Indian Church Road, near Seneca Street, at about 5:30 p. m. Saturday, Daniel Patterson was on the couch, watching the news.

“They shot the dogs for no reason at all,” he told The Buffalo News on Sunday.

Rita Patterson said she was cooking dinner in the kitchen when she heard loud noises at the side door. Hanavan was upstairs taking a nap, and at first she thought he may have fallen out of bed.

Before she knew what was happening, police wearing masks and helmets and carrying automatic weapons had broken through the door. They tied her hands with a zip tie and put her on the floor.

Her father pleaded with police not to shoot the dogs, but they wouldn’t allow him to grab the dogs and put them in another room, Patterson said.

One of the officers started firing a shotgun at the two dogs, one a pit bull and the other a pit bull-boxer mix.

One of the dogs was shot three times: once in the throat, once in the back and the last time in the leg while trying to run away, Rita Patterson said.

The other dog was cowering behind a table. Neither was a threat to the police, the residents said.

The police had a warrant for the home, but it named no suspects. It said only that investigators were looking for a white male and Hydrocodone. Information that led to the warrant, according to the warrant itself, came partly from an informant, Rita Patterson said.
Onward and upward,
airforce

Re: Another Botched Raid - Incident Report #149821
03/30/2009 06:49 PM
03/30/2009 06:49 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

FUCKING NO GOOD WORTHLESS COCKSUCKING BASTARDS! mad

Re: Another Botched Raid - Incident Report #149822
03/31/2009 03:45 AM
03/31/2009 03:45 AM
maryland
W
wolfpackmedic Offline
wolfpackmedic  Offline
W
maryland
I say we go start shooting cops dogs. Hey the bible does preach a dog for a dog right?

NEX UT TYRANNIUS!
Re: Another Botched Raid - Incident Report #149823
03/31/2009 10:22 PM
03/31/2009 10:22 PM
Philistine Occupied CA
I
Imagrunt Offline
Imagrunt  Offline

I
Philistine Occupied CA
Originally posted by RD6:
F*CKING NO GOOD WORTHLESS C*CKSUCKING BASTARDS!
Since the Oakland SWAT killings, the LEOs around these parts are afraid to enter homes that might have guns...

I would gladly lay aside the use of arms and settle matters by negotiation, but unless the whole will, the matter ends, and I take up my battle rifle, and thank God that He has put it within my grasp.

Audit Fort Knox!
Re: Another Botched Raid - Incident Report #149824
04/01/2009 03:10 AM
04/01/2009 03:10 AM
SE Virginia
S
swabjocky Offline
swabjocky  Offline
S
SE Virginia
"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized. "

I'm wondering if the Magistrate that signed the warrent has even read this?

Illigitime non carborundum

"Three is good, four would be better, but three is good" Mel Gibson in the Patriot.

"Now if I can find two more, I'd be good". Swabjocky
Re: Another Botched Raid - Incident Report #149825
04/01/2009 03:20 PM
04/01/2009 03:20 PM
Montana
B
Bona_na_Croin Offline
Bona_na_Croin  Offline
B
Montana
Originally posted by Imagrunt:
Originally posted by RD6:
[b] F*CKING NO GOOD WORTHLESS C*CKSUCKING BASTARDS!
Since the Oakland SWAT killings, the LEOs around these parts are afraid to enter homes that might have guns... [/b]
huh, that's funny. I think criminals are afraid of the same thing!

Bona na Croin- Neither Collar nor Crown

"Free where I live or die where I stand"
Re: Another Botched Raid - Incident Report #149826
04/02/2009 01:25 PM
04/02/2009 01:25 PM
nowhere
I
inactive Offline
inactive  Offline
I
nowhere
They shot someone's dogs over some fucking Vicodin?

no signature
Re: Another Botched Raid - Incident Report #149827
04/13/2009 10:43 AM
04/13/2009 10:43 AM
Tulsa
Administrator
Administrator
Tulsa
Livingston, Illinois woman claims t...d ordered her to the ground at gunpoint. They apologized after realizing they had raided apartment 1 instead of apartment 10.

She claims $20,000 in medical bills.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Re: Another Botched Raid - Incident Report #149828
04/13/2009 10:45 AM
04/13/2009 10:45 AM
Tulsa
Administrator
Administrator
Tulsa

Re: Another Botched Raid - Incident Report #149829
04/13/2009 10:51 AM
04/13/2009 10:51 AM
Tulsa
Administrator
Administrator
Tulsa
The police officer who shot Grand V...th the negligent discharge of a firearm. It’s nice to see him held accountable. But the problem is the policy of sending police into private homes with their guns drawn to enforce consensual crimes.

Until that policy changes, we’ll continue to see incidents like this one. Charging the cops or homeowners who make mistakes under such volatile circumstances isn’t going to change anything. We need to stop putting both parties in such a position.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Re: Another Botched Raid - Incident Report #149830
04/14/2009 09:35 AM
04/14/2009 09:35 AM
Tulsa
Administrator
Administrator
Tulsa
Customs officer sues after a wrong-door immigration raid on his home.

James and Sheila Slaughter said that when they answered the door of their home in San Luis, Ariz., on a July afternoon last year, they were surprised to find five armed Immigration and Customs Enforcement officers strapped into bulky bulletproof vests accusing them of harboring an illegal immigrant.

“Is this ‘Candid Camera’?” Mrs. Slaughter recalled asking.

That irritated the lead officer, her husband said Tuesday. “He said: ‘No, it isn’t “Candid Camera.” You need to step back into the middle of the room.’ ”

The couple said they complied, and the officers prepared to search their home. Mr. Slaughter, a six-foot, 285-pound former Marine, said he then told them, “Look fellas, do you guys realize that I’m a U.S. Customs K-9 officer at the San Luis land port?”

“The lead officer’s eyes got about as big and round as silver dollars, and the three guys who were standing just inside the door went straight outside,” said Mr. Slaughter, 51, who with a Labrador retriever, Whitey, searches cars at the Mexican border for narcotics. “They left without saying a word. They knew they messed up.”…

Mr. Slaughter, whose family lives on East 26th Street, said he learned later that the illegal immigrant sought by the officers lived on East 26th Place. He recognized the immigrant’s name from junk mail that accidentally came to the Slaughter home.

The officers, Mr. Slaughter said, should have checked the name on property records, “or they could have watched me walk out of my house every day wearing my uniform.”

“They bullied their way into my house — the same organization that I work for, doing 16-hour shifts,” Mr. Slaughter said. “I bleed red, white and blue. I serve my country, and then they do this to me?”
The Slaughters are suing each of the five officers for $500,000.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Re: Another Botched Raid - Incident Report #149831
05/07/2009 10:02 AM
05/07/2009 10:02 AM
Tulsa
Administrator
Administrator
Tulsa
Wrong door raid in Baltimore.

Weeks later, the guy still can’t get the city to repair his door. Their explanation is that because the address written on the warrant is the address the police raided, there was no mistake. Even though the guy they were actually after lived and was eventually arrested two doors down.

Ah, but it gets worse. If it’s not the cops, it’s the bureaucrats. The guy stored his old door in his backyard, hoping the city would eventually repair it. When it became clear that wasn’t going to happen, he called the city’s special trash pick-up to come and get it. They never did. But a city code inspector did come, and fined the guy $50 for having a broken door in his backyard.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Re: Another Botched Raid - Incident Report #149832
06/12/2009 11:10 AM
06/12/2009 11:10 AM
Tulsa
Administrator
Administrator
Tulsa
Another wrong-door raid in Columbus. Article and video here.

Eighteen-year-old Kaleigh Berry felt she was the victim of a home invasion Tuesday afternoon when armed men pulled up in front of her Earline Avenue residence and came in yelling for everyone in the house to show themselves, she said.

Everyone did, including Berry’s 66-year-old grandmother, 8-month-old son and two female friends, ages 18 and 28.

Berry and her grandmother, Jackie McAuliffe, said the men were wearing what appeared to be Kevlar vests but didn’t identify themselves until McAuliffe demanded they do so.
Kaleigh

That’s when one said he was a Columbus probation officer. McAuliffe said she noticed another officer had insignia on his shirt showing he worked for the Muscogee County sheriff.

Then it became clear that the five or six people who came swarming out of a dark SUV about 3 or 3:30 p.m. and surrounded Berry’s house before two pushed their way inside were law enforcement officers.

The women were terrified, as was Berry’s baby, Cohen.

(...)
At least they didn't shoot any puppies or people this time.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Re: Another Botched Raid - Incident Report #149833
06/12/2009 08:07 PM
06/12/2009 08:07 PM
North Carolina
A
arctic paratrooper Offline
arctic paratrooper  Offline
A
North Carolina
Im really suprised with all of the no knock warrents and the fact that they dont identify themselves that more SWAT temas down get mowed down in the doorway. Any explanation? I know that if a bunch of armed guys kicked in my door without identify that they were police they would get the full 30 rounds of 5.56 from me.

How they hell can anyone tell the police from the 'bad guys?'
Well I know that Ill be getting more then one comment for the above line but you know what I mean.

Re: Another Botched Raid - Incident Report #149834
06/13/2009 06:14 AM
06/13/2009 06:14 AM
Somewhere in these blue ridged...
The Answer Offline
The Answer  Offline
Somewhere in these blue ridged...
Tyranny triumphs when resistance is nonexistent

Semper Vigilantes, Numquam Exspectantes

Always Watching, Never Waiting
Re: Another Botched Raid - Incident Report #149835
06/22/2009 10:50 AM
06/22/2009 10:50 AM
Tulsa
Administrator
Administrator
Tulsa
Well, here\'s an official explanation I haven\'t heard before.

An Indianapolis family is asking for an apology from police after officers mistakenly barged into their home during an early-morning warrant sweep.

Marye Minton, 70, and her 72-year-old husband were awoken early Thursday to officers banging on the door of their home, 6News' Ericka Flye reported.

Marye Minton said she is upset that the officers came inside and ordered her husband, who is in poor health, onto the ground.

"They said to him, 'Get on the floor,' like that, and see my husband's had four strokes, and he can't whoop anybody, he can't do anything," she said. "I'm very mad and I don't want it to happen to another citizen."

Officers were trying to serve a warrant for a man wanted on drug charges. The address listed on the paperwork was 4042. The Minton's home is 4048, with both house numbers clearly marked.

But Major Mark Robinett of the Marion County Sheriff's Department, who is in charge of warrant sweeps, said he was told that officers had a difficult time reading the addresses because of overcast skies.

He said the officers identified themselves and handled their mistake appropriately.

"Within a couple of minutes they determined that they were at the wrong address. At that point, they apologized and they left," he said.

The Mintons said their front door was damaged by the officers' banging. They said they want a formal apology.

"I want them to come in here and tell me that they're sorry," Marye Minton said. "Not on the phone, don't send me a letter. Come in my door, like you sent your men in my house."

Robinett said even though an apology was made Thursday morning, that someone will go back to the home soon and offer and apology in person.
Overcast skies??!!

Onward and upward,
airforce

Re: Another Botched Raid - Incident Report #149836
06/22/2009 05:09 PM
06/22/2009 05:09 PM
Upstate New York
T
Tahawus Offline
Tahawus  Offline
T
Upstate New York
Now I have heard everything.

Re: Another Botched Raid - Incident Report #149837
06/23/2009 01:54 AM
06/23/2009 01:54 AM
Montana
B
Bona_na_Croin Offline
Bona_na_Croin  Offline
B
Montana
Overcast skies. *sigh They want all the latest toys that go bang, they're out to right the world of evil things like Larador retrievers, they claim they are "the law" and yet the morons aren't smart enough first to have a flashlight or turn on the inside light in the patrol car, or ****GASP** have to step OUT of the vehicle, walk all the way to the front and use the headlights to clearly read the address

I guess the "swamp gas, reflecting light off of venus, it was a weather ballon or training excercise" excuse doesn't work anymore so they thought overcast skies might

Bona na Croin- Neither Collar nor Crown

"Free where I live or die where I stand"
Re: Another Botched Raid - Incident Report #149838
06/23/2009 08:16 AM
06/23/2009 08:16 AM
Tulsa
Administrator
Administrator
Tulsa
Well, at least the sun wasn't in their eyes. :rolleyes:

Onward and upward,
airforce

Re: Another Botched Raid - Incident Report #149839
06/23/2009 08:20 AM
06/23/2009 08:20 AM
Tulsa
Administrator
Administrator
Tulsa
Here\'s one from Montgomery County, Maryland. The raid actually happened in 2005 but, because of the lawsuit, we're only now hearing about it.

Kenyan immigrant Nancy Njoroge had been living in the United States for a year when a Montgomery County SWAT team burst into her Gaithersburg apartment at 4 a.m., handcuffed her and her two teenage daughters, and searched her apartment, court records show.

Police found nothing.

The reason: Njoroge lived in No. 202 of her apartment complex. The police had a search warrant for apartment 201.

After rejecting an offer from the county’s claims adjuster of a “couple of movie passes,” the American Civil Liberties Union is suing the county on the family’s behalf for unspecified damages, according to ACLU records filed in court.

The ACLU said the purpose of the lawsuit was to hold the police department accountable for its mistake.

“Officers had but one apartment to locate, in a quiet and well-lit hallway in the dead of night, without distraction and with clearly marked doors and numbers,” ACLU lawyer Fritz Mulhauser said in a letter to the county…

Court records don’t give a clear reason why the police raided the wrong apartment, and the county attorney assigned to the case did not respond to inquiries for the story. But in court records, a SWAT team leader indicated that it was an isolated incident.
Right.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Re: Another Botched Raid - Incident Report #149840
07/10/2009 10:42 AM
07/10/2009 10:42 AM
Tulsa
Administrator
Administrator
Tulsa
The July 10 CATO podcast features Berwyn Heights mayor (and botched raid victim) Cheye Calvo speaking on SWAT raids and the War on Drugs. About ten minutes, and well worth your time.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Re: Another Botched Raid - Incident Report #149841
08/03/2009 11:15 AM
08/03/2009 11:15 AM
Tulsa
Administrator
Administrator
Tulsa
An elderly couple who were subjected to a wrong-door raid have filed a lawsuit.

This was the raid where the husband asked if he could go out to restrain his dog. The police said no, then went out and killed it.

A Columbia couple filed a $5 million lawsuit Monday against the Howard County Police Department stemming from a raid at their home in 2008.

Lisa and Kevin Henderson accused the county's SWAT team of excessive force and malicious prosecution after they raided the couple's home in January 2008.

"I hear the door opening, and my husband says, 'Who's walking in my door and not announcing themselves?' So, he's looking, and all of a sudden we see red beams and flashing lights on myself and friend sitting on the couch," said Lisa Henderson.

The couple said they're still rattled by the raid on their townhouse.

"I kneeled down and put my hands behind me. Someone grabbed me and handcuffed me. My husband was screaming. I was saying, 'Please don't hurt him. He's disabled.' And I still didn't know it was police," Lisa Henderson told 11 News.

The couple's attorney said the police had the wrong house.

"The warrant is defective because the warrant identifies people that aren't associated with the house. It's sad," said attorney Jimmy Bell.

According to court papers, the Howard County police SWAT team entered the home unannounced through the front door, which was unlocked. When Grunt the family dog started barking, court documents indicated one of the officers enticed the dog to coming running and shot him point blank.

"I lost my best friend. He helped me when I needed him to help without being told or trained," said Kevin Henderson.

The couple said when Kevin Henderson tried to explain to police he was disabled and unable to move quickly, they responded by stepping on his feet and legs. He told the officers he couldn't put his arms behind his back because of surgery he had on his left shoulder, but they cuffed him anyway.

Lisa Henderson said police pointed a gun to her face and threatened to blow her head off, then picked her up by her shirt and pushed her into a chair so hard that she bit the inside of her mouth.

"I'm a taxpayer in this county. I don't have a criminal record. I've never even had a parking ticket, so why are you treating me like I am a criminal?" Lisa Henderson questioned.

Police said they found five small jars of marijuana, a pipe and grinder on a visitor to the Henderson's home. The guest admitted he owned the material and was arrested and tried on possession charges.

After the Hendersons filed a formal complaint, Howard County police charged them with drug possession.

"When my clients complained, they charged them and they were exonerated by a judge," Bell said.

The Hendersons filed the lawsuit in federal court on Monday. A trial date is expected by next spring.

A Howard County police representative said the department has not been officially notified of the lawsuit.
Onward and upward,
airforce

Re: Another Botched Raid - Incident Report #149842
08/03/2009 11:57 AM
08/03/2009 11:57 AM
Trapped in Rhode Island
L
Lord Vader Offline
Lord Vader  Offline
L
Trapped in Rhode Island
They should not be suing for 5 Million they should be suing for at least 10 Million.

I hope it is people like that couple who will be sitting on the Tribunal that the Police will have to stand in front of.

And I will restate that IF ANYONE KILLS MY DOG they will not live very long after that.

The only way this will ever stop, short of a Revolution would be if these Counties, Towns and Cities which employ these scum lose large enough Law Suits that they are Bankrupted.

The City of Central Falls Rhode Island had to take out a Bond due to the Police losing a Law Suit, and the City of East St. Louis at least I believe it was East St. Louis, turned over the Police Station to a person who won a Large Suit against the City.

VINCE AUT MORIRE (Conquer or Die)
Re: Another Botched Raid - Incident Report #149843
08/04/2009 08:46 AM
08/04/2009 08:46 AM
Tulsa
Administrator
Administrator
Tulsa
Botched raid lawsuit settled for $30,000.

This is the case where the county initially offered free movie passes as compensation.

Though the raid happened three years ago, the settlement comes just a little over a month after the raid was written up in the local media. Funny how that works.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Re: Another Botched Raid - Incident Report #149844
08/04/2009 09:17 AM
08/04/2009 09:17 AM
Slipping the surly bonds of ea...
F
Flight-ER-Doc Online content
Flight-ER-Doc  Online Content
F
Slipping the surly bonds of ea...
It's a shame that the taxpayers wind up paying the bills - most jurisdictions don't even count payments like that out of agency budgets.

It's about time that the officers themselves who screw up pay for it. No more qualified immunity, when they screw up (and their supervisors, training officers, chief of police, mayor) they pay for it.

If I screw up with a patient I'd get sued - personally. Even though I usually work at a government run facility (county, university hospital). You can be sure that my colleagues and I go out of our way not to make mistakes. Why not expect the same from law enforcement?

The number of 'accidental' raids will rapidly approach ZERO, once bubba looses his house and pickup.

Emergency Medicine - saving the world from themselves, one at a time.

"Thou shalt not be a victim, thou shalt not be a perpetrator, but, above all, thou shalt not be a bystander."

I make the ADL soil themselves. And that makes me very happy smile
Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12

©>
©All information posted on this site is the private property of the individual author and AWRM.net and may not be reproduced without permission. © 2001-2020 AWRM.net All Rights Reserved.