03/01/2010 03:11 PM
03/01/2010 03:11 PM
Tulsa
airforce Online content OP
Administrator
airforce  Online Content OP
Administrator
Tulsa
4.5 SWAT raids per day. And most of them were for misdemeanors and nonviolent felonies. Radley Balko has an article up ar reason, showing how SWAT teams are being used and misused.

Cheye Calvo's July 2008 encounter with a Prince George's County, Maryland, SWAT team is now pretty well-known: After intercepting a package of marijuana at a delivery service warehouse, police completed the delivery, in disguise, to the address on the package. That address belonged to Calvo, who also happened to be the mayor of the small Prince George’s town of Berwyn Heights. When Calvo's mother-in-law brought the package in from the porch, the SWAT team pounced, forcing their way into Calvo's home. By the time the raid was over, Calvo and his mother-in-law had been handcuffed for hours, police realized they'd made a mistake, and Calvo's two black Labradors lay dead on the floor from gunshot wounds.

As a result of this colossal yet not-unprecedented screw-up, plus Calvo's notoriety and persistence, last year Maryland became the first state in the country to make every one of its police departments issue a report on how often and for what purpose they use their SWAT teams. The first reports from the legislation are in, and the results are disturbing.

Over the last six months of 2009, SWAT teams were deployed 804 times in the state of Maryland, or about 4.5 times per day. In Prince George's County alone, with its 850,000 residents, a SWAT team was deployed about once per day. According to a Baltimore Sun analysis, 94 percent of the state's SWAT deployments were used to serve search or arrest warrants, leaving just 6 percent in response to the kinds of barricades, bank robberies, hostage takings, and emergency situations for which SWAT teams were originally intended.

Worse even than those dreary numbers is the fact that more than half of the county’s SWAT deployments were for misdemeanors and nonserious felonies. That means more than 100 times last year Prince George’s County brought state-sanctioned violence to confront people suspected of nonviolent crimes. And that's just one county in Maryland. These outrageous numbers should provide a long-overdue wake-up call to public officials about how far the pendulum has swung toward institutionalized police brutality against its citizenry, usually in the name of the drug war.

But that’s unlikely to happen, at least in Prince George's County. To this day, Sheriff Michael Jackson insists his officers did nothing wrong in the Calvo raid—not the killing of the dogs, not neglecting to conduct any corroborating investigation to be sure they had the correct house, not failing to notify the Berwyn Heights police chief of the raid, not the repeated and documented instances of Jackson’s deputies playing fast and loose with the truth.

Jackson, who's now running for county executive, is incapable of shame. He has tried to block Calvo's efforts to access information about the raid at every turn. Last week, Prince George's County Circuit Judge Arthur M. Ahalt ruled that Calvo's civil rights suit against the county can go forward. But Jackson has been fighting to delay the discovery process in that suit until federal authorities complete their own investigation into the raid. That would likely (and conveniently) prevent Prince George's County voters from learning any embarrassing details about the raid until after the election.

But there is some good news to report here, too. The Maryland state law, as noted, is the first of its kind in the country, and will hopefully serve as a model for other states in adding some much-needed transparency to the widespread use and abuse of SWAT teams. And some Maryland legislators want to go even further. State Sen. Anthony Muse (D-Prince George's), for example, wants to require a judge's signature before police can deploy a SWAT team. Muse has sponsored another bill that would ban the use of SWAT teams for misdemeanor offenses. The latter seems like a no-brainer, but it's already facing strong opposition from law enforcement interests. Police groups opposed the transparency bill, too.

Beyond policy changes, the Calvo raid also seems to have also sparked media and public interest in how SWAT teams are deployed in Maryland. The use of these paramilitary police units has increased dramatically over the last 30 years, by 1,000 percent or more, resulting in the drastic militarization of police. It's a trend that seems to have escaped much media and public notice, let alone informed debate about policies and oversight procedures. But since the Calvo raid in 2008, Maryland newspapers, TV news crews, activists, and bloggers have been documenting mistaken, botched, or disproportionately aggressive raids across the state.

Lawmakers tend to be wary of questioning law enforcement officials, particularly when it comes to policing tactics. They shouldn't be. If anything, the public employees who are entrusted with the power to use force, including lethal force, deserve the most scrutiny. It's unfortunate that it took a violent raid on a fellow public official for Maryland's policymakers to finally take notice of tactics that have been used on Maryland citizens for decades now. But at least these issues are finally on the table.

Lawmakers in other states should take notice. It's time to have a national discussion on the wisdom of sending phalanxes of cops dressed like soldiers into private homes in search of nonviolent and consensual crimes.
Onward and upward,
airforce

Re: Maryland's SWAT Transparency Bill Shows Results #150808
03/01/2010 03:49 PM
03/01/2010 03:49 PM
DEACTIVATED
P
ParaSkS-DEACTIVATED Offline
ParaSkS-DEACTIVATED  Offline
P
DEACTIVATED
SWAT teams are way overused.

It doesn't matter how you start something, or how you do in the middle. It matters how you finish it
Paramilitary SKS
Re: Maryland's SWAT Transparency Bill Shows Results #150809
03/01/2010 04:26 PM
03/01/2010 04:26 PM
lake linden MI
U
UP HUNTER Offline
UP HUNTER  Offline
U
lake linden MI
my local college MTU has a fast reaction team(equal to swat) They jsut bought all new gear machine guns and all the other fun toys. They need this in case they have to lock down the college. They overuse the scare tactic alot we need swat we need machine guns. Not all town need these thugs

Re: Maryland's SWAT Transparency Bill Shows Results #150810
03/02/2010 01:15 AM
03/02/2010 01:15 AM
Tulsa
Administrator
Administrator
Tulsa
I really don't have anything against SWAT teams. Sometimes you need them--and when you do, you need them right now.. The problem is, they're expensive to train and maintain, and they are really needed only rarely--a hostage situation, or something of that sort. It's hard for the bureaucrats to justify the cost for something that may only be needed twice a year in a city the size of Tulsa.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Re: Maryland's SWAT Transparency Bill Shows Results #150811
03/02/2010 02:14 AM
03/02/2010 02:14 AM
Tulsa
Administrator
Administrator
Tulsa
I think we may have finally reached a tipping point. An innocent couple were the mistaken recipients of 33 pounds of marijuana, thie first thing they thought was that SWAT may be on their way, and they feared for the safety of their dog .

Sloan and Anderson have a German shepherd named Cheyenne. Sloan said the Berwyn Heights fiasco sprang to her mind the instant her husband told her about the coffee grounds.

"Before he even looked in to see what kind of drugs they were, I called 911," she said. "I told them exactly what was going on. I'm like, I don't want them coming through my door with guns drawn, because I love my dog."
Onward and upward,
airforce

Re: Maryland's SWAT Transparency Bill Shows Results #150812
03/02/2010 03:40 AM
03/02/2010 03:40 AM
A 105-11FF Somewhere in the C...
C
coydog Offline
coydog  Offline
C
A 105-11FF Somewhere in the C...
Originally posted by UP HUNTER:
my local college MTU has a fast reaction team(equal to swat) They jsut bought all new gear machine guns and all the other fun toys. They need this in case they have to lock down the college. They overuse the scare tactic alot we need swat we need machine guns. Not all town need these thugs
Poorly trained rent a cops playing SWAT...even scarier :rolleyes:

"State a moral case to a ploughman & a professor. The former will decide it as well, & often better than the latter,
because he has not been led astray by artificial rules."
Re: Maryland's SWAT Transparency Bill Shows Results #150813
03/02/2010 04:38 AM
03/02/2010 04:38 AM
Western States
Breacher Offline
Breacher  Offline
Western States
Originally posted by coydog:
[b] my local college MTU has a fast reaction team(equal to swat) They jsut bought all new gear machine guns and all the other fun toys. They need this in case they have to lock down the college. They overuse the scare tactic alot we need swat we need machine guns. Not all town need these thugs
Poorly trained rent a cops playing
SWAT...even scarier :rolleyes: [/b]
It depends on how things are put together, and a lot of people in law enforcement see SWAT training as a career necessity for advancement into other agencies and organizations where SWAT plays a bigger role, even though it may not play much of a role in their present job.

Another huge issue is when some situation happens and some form of SWAT is needed, and the only available SWAT outfit is from an outside agency, and staffed by people with little knowledge or sympathy for the locality. IE, a campus SWAT unit staffed by campus cops accustomed to dealing with the student population is likely to get less jumpy than a crew of redneck deputies who constantly run SWAT operations in some crackhead neighborhood in the bad side of a suburb. Even the "experience" level may not be as relevant, since the campus cops have experience in that particular place with that particular community, and the outside agency people would maybe have a lot of experience but not with the same place and population.

Kent State was an example of that sort of problem, combat troops on a college campus, although you could imagine how fucked up it would be if someone just went straight to the Lon Horiuchi option the next time some animal rights people decide to do a demonstration on some left leaning campus in California...

Cops with toys is not really a problem, cops with bad attitudes and an agenda to make sure you never really have any freedoms, well, that's the problem. The KGB seemed pretty skilled at terrorizing people with pathetic little Makarovs and simple impact weapons, so toys don't make thugs into thugs, although they can make bad thugs into worse thugs.

Then the fact that more toys get into more circulation with all of these various tactical teams increases the chances of resistors being able to obtain those toys, one way or another.

Life liberty, and the pursuit of those who threaten them.

Trump: not the president America needs, but the president America deserves.
Re: Maryland's SWAT Transparency Bill Shows Results #150814
03/02/2010 05:23 PM
03/02/2010 05:23 PM
lake linden MI
U
UP HUNTER Offline
UP HUNTER  Offline
U
lake linden MI
The area I live in has a total population of max 20,000 people thats in 3 counties. We have 13 police agencies in those 3 counties. The campus police up until 3yrs ago couldn't even carry guns now they have machine guns this is a police state up here. it also is very scary with all these leo that have a stick up there as@ to prove something.

Re: Maryland's SWAT Transparency Bill Shows Results #150815
03/03/2010 09:11 AM
03/03/2010 09:11 AM
somewhere-where am I?
J
J. Croft Offline
J. Croft  Offline
J
somewhere-where am I?
Their armored vehicles are proof against rifles and .50 BMG rounds, but that's about it. Even against surplus M113 anyone here who bought books at gun shows back in the 90's and not retarded could come up with ways to defeat them.

ATF and I'd bet some other non Defense Dept. federals have Bradleys, and that's a tougher beast to take out. Armor is still made of aluminum but 25mm Bushmaster autocannon, TOW missile launchers, coaxial 7.62 can lay down a lot of firepower so you'd have to choose where you engage those much more carefully(hint, not in open country).

I'm not impressed with the Stryker. I don't care if they mount a 105mm cannon on one so long as you can lure those bus sized vehicles into crowded terrain they shouldn't be too much if you prepare.

What is worrisome are the upcoming generations of robotic weapons systems-the enemy will consider them expendable so long as they can produce and deliver them onto the battlefield and they WILL supplant the thinly armored target vehicles. Easier for some 400lb nerd with a big gulp in one hand, joystick in the other to play a real live version of Modern War on you than send a SWAT team with that hundreds of thousands of dollars of investment and years of experience...

Those will require a longer view war of sabotage and attrition, a strategic view of cutting off resources and supplies to the factories and urban areas to make deployment and expenditure costs of the robots too expensive to replace humans.

Be your own leader

freedomguide.blogspot.com
freedomguide.wordpress.com
youtube.com/user/freedomguide
Re: Maryland's SWAT Transparency Bill Shows Results #150816
03/03/2010 09:54 AM
03/03/2010 09:54 AM
DEACTIVATED
P
P
DEACTIVATED
You just described guerilla warfare.

It doesn't matter how you start something, or how you do in the middle. It matters how you finish it
Paramilitary SKS
Re: Maryland's SWAT Transparency Bill Shows Results #150817
03/03/2010 09:56 AM
03/03/2010 09:56 AM
DEACTIVATED
P
P
DEACTIVATED
Airforce,
Your example of the SWAT teams being needed is very true. They are needed once or twice a year and are extremely hard and costly to train.
Why couldn't (someones gonna scream 'martial law') the military be deployed for such a thing like hostage rescue?

Paramilitary SKS
Re: Maryland's SWAT Transparency Bill Shows Results #150818
03/03/2010 01:44 PM
03/03/2010 01:44 PM
Tulsa
Administrator
Administrator
Tulsa
ParaSKS, being the free market anarchist that I am, I'm actually in favor of the privatization of law enforcement. Natural laws and natural rights can be enforced by private security services contracted by homeowner associations, insurance companies, and the like. In the few instances that a SWAT team is needed, a specialized service such as (boy, I'm gona get it now!) Blackwater could be subcontracted to handle the situation.

Yeah, that sounds farfetched to a lot of people. But consider that most SWAT teams these days are funded by grants from the federal government as a tool in the War on Drugs, and maybe it doesn't sound so crazy.

Increasingly, SWAT teams are being used to serve warrants for nonviolent crimes. As we have seen in the case with Mayor Cheye Calvo, this is injecting violence into a situation where no violence existed--the exact opposite of what peace officers are supposed to do. When the SWAT burst into his home and shot his Labradors, Mayor Calvo had no idea who they were. He thought his home was being invaded.

Had Mayor Calvo had a firearm in his hand or nearby, he would have used it. A law officer would possibly be dead, and Mayor Calvo almost certainly so.

This simply is not what peace officers are supposed to do. This is what tyrants do.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Re: Maryland's SWAT Transparency Bill Shows Results #150819
03/03/2010 06:03 PM
03/03/2010 06:03 PM
Western States
Breacher Offline
Breacher  Offline
Western States
The area I live in has a total population of max 20,000 people thats in 3 counties. We have 13 police agencies in those 3 counties. The campus police up until 3yrs ago couldn't even carry guns now they have machine guns this is a police state up here. it also is very scary with all these leo that have a stick up there as@ to prove something.
Well, then that is entirely out of line. A community of 20,000 people being "policed" by that much force and firepower is not being "policed" they are being occupied.

Life liberty, and the pursuit of those who threaten them.

Trump: not the president America needs, but the president America deserves.
Re: Maryland's SWAT Transparency Bill Shows Results #150820
03/04/2010 11:55 AM
03/04/2010 11:55 AM
D 057 Btn 47 FF
T
The Greywolf Offline
The Greywolf  Offline
T
D 057 Btn 47 FF
Originally posted by airforce:

This simply is not what peace officers are supposed to do. This is what tyrants do.

Onward and upward,
airforce
Agree 100% Airforce

I believe in absolute Freedom, as little interference from any government as possible...And I'll fight any man trying to take that away from me.

Jimmy Greywolf
Re: Maryland's SWAT Transparency Bill Shows Results #150821
03/23/2010 01:49 PM
03/23/2010 01:49 PM
U.S.A.
K
Kalashnikov Josh Offline
Kalashnikov Josh  Offline
K
U.S.A.
My question is-
why does it take a botched raid on a mayors house before anyone takes any notice of the misuse of SWAT nationwide?
I'm sorry the mayor lost his dogs-
But people have lost their lives.
I agree that we can't allow criminals like the North Hollywood Shooters to have the upper hand when it comes to weapons and skills in the arena of 'cops vs. robbers'-but I've seen TV shows that depict cops raiding peoples homes over stolen copper electrical wire.....The 'justification' for this was that "any person brazen enough to steal thousands of dollars of live copper wire is a dangerous person".
Really?
Or maybe they're trying to keep a roof over their head-not justifying a crime,but geez.....
anyway,the guy met the SWAT team with a shotgun,luckily,he stood down.The detectives on the case found no evidence to actually arrest the suspect.....so this guy might have been in a shootout over not just copper wire,but over an investigation that ultimately yielded no results.

The problem here is that when you are set upon by a dozen armed individuals,it immediately presents a 'fight or flight' situation,and so instead of a couple of gumshoes showing up with a warrant to search and a few uniformed cops for backup;who then knock on the door and present their warrant in a non-confrontational manner,the SWAT team is an immediate escalation of force.

Nationwide,people have been killed by this kind of innapropriate police activity when the wrong houses get raided,or when a jumpy cop with a hairy trigger finger mistakes an innocent object for a weapon-which would have most likely never happened if the situation wasn't immediately escalated into a conflict by the use of SWAT and their aggressive tactics-which should really be used against felons of the North Hollywood kind,and other serious overt threats of violence.

But instead,SWAT has been increasingly used to serve warrants rather than respond to serious emergencies.
This precedent has resulted in a growing number of botched raids-
http://www.cato.org/raidmap/

Its just bad business all the way around-and its sad that it took a mayors involvement on the experiencing end of this nonsense to actually raise real concerns.

"The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." -Thomas Jefferson
Re: Maryland's SWAT Transparency Bill Shows Results #150822
03/23/2010 02:24 PM
03/23/2010 02:24 PM
High Desert
D308cat Offline
D308cat  Offline
High Desert
It is not going to change, This is intentionally done to put the fear in the public. I'm sure that some heads might role over that Mayor, But then they will be back to it just as hard and worse. Just wait for the health care enforcers. SEMPER FI

PSALM 144:01 Blessed be the LORD my Rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle---

©>
©All information posted on this site is the private property of the individual author and AWRM.net and may not be reproduced without permission. © 2001-2020 AWRM.net All Rights Reserved.