04/05/2010 11:52 AM
04/05/2010 11:52 AM
A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC
ConSigCor Offline OP
ConSigCor  Offline OP
A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC
http://www.springfieldnewssun.com/news/spr...end-635163.html

Local militia ready to defend

Champaign County group would mobilize if government collapses.

By Valerie Lough, Staff Writer 9:11 PM Saturday, April 3, 2010

Two militias were identified in Clark and Champaign counties, according to the Southern Poverty Law Center: the Constitutional Militia of Clark County and the Unorganized Militia of Champaign County.

A message on the Constitutional Militia of Clark County's Web site states that the pages have been intentionally left blank, but anyone wishing to contact them should send an e-mail to the address listed. However, a message the News-Sun sent to the
e-mail address bounced back.

Clark County Sheriff Gene Kelly said he isn't aware of any active militias in the area.

"That's not to say that they're not here because many of them are running covert operations and don't want to be found," he said.

Michael Craft of St. Paris, founder of the Unorganized Militia of Champaign County, agreed that some militias stay underground, but said his organization is out in the open and is "defensive, not offensive."

Craft said his militia's purpose is to be ready to keep order in the event that the current establishment fails.

"One day if we have a complete collapse... if one day we are no longer a constitutional form of government, we're going to need people who are willing to defend the neighbors in the community and your family," said Craft.

The UMCC was founded in 2000, said Craft.

Urbana police Chief Pat Wagner also said that officials there aren't familiar with any operating militias in the city, but that the existence of any extremist group is a concern for them.

Craft said high-profile cases like the alleged plot by the Hutaree in Michigan are bad publicity for the non-extremist militia movement.

"Now it's going to be an upward battle to convince people that we're not that way," he said. "We support law enforcement, we're not out to overthrow anybody."

The UMCC saw some increase in membership, but not one seen on the national level following the election of Barack Obama.

"Maybe it could be the political climate," said Craft. "Generally people who are in a militia tend to be Libertarian or conservative. When you have a federal administration that is Democrat or liberal they're going to be a little more nervous."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Note: The only inaccuracy in the article below is when she claimed I said the UMCC "doesn't deserve to be lumped in with the Hutaree." I didn't say this. I told her, "The members of the Hutaree are innocent until proven guilty. If the allegations made by the FBI are 100% true, then the FBI obviously did the right thing. But that's a big 'if.' I have to wonder if this isn't the result of an over zealous agent and prosecutor. I would really like to hear the recordings." It was likely just a mistake on her part.]

http://www.springfieldnewssun.com/news/spr...ity-635180.html

Growing culture: Militia mentality

13 Ohio groups on same list of militias as the Michigan-based Hutaree.

By Tom Beyerlein 
and Valerie Lough, Staff Writers Updated 9:53 PM Saturday, April 3, 2010

ST. PARIS - If the United States government collapses, Michael Craft and his Unorganized Militia of Champaign County are ready.

"One day, if we have a complete collapse... if one day we are no longer a constitutional form of government, we're going to need people who are willing to defend the neighbors in the community and your family," Craft said.

The Southern Poverty Law Center last month placed Craft's militia and 12 other Ohio groups on the same list of militias as the Michigan-based Hutaree, nine members of which were arrested last weekend on charges they plotted to kill police, then set off bombs at the funeral, as part of an uprising against the government.

Craft said his militia, founded in 2000, is "defensive, not offensive," and doesn't deserve to be lumped in with the Hutaree, an apocalyptic Christian group with Ohio members whose Web site includes the slogan, "Preparing for the end time battles to keep the testimony of Jesus Christ alive."

"Now it's going to be an upward battle to convince people that we're not that way," he said. "We support law enforcement, we're not out to overthrow anybody."

Extremist "patriot groups" and armed militias have grown exponentially since the November 2008 election of President Obama, according to the Southern Poverty Law Center. Many have extreme anti-government doctrines, engage in unfounded conspiracy theories and believe a "new world order" of totalitarian world government is looming.

"Over the last several years, we have seen this explosive growth of organizations on the radical right," said center spokesman Booth Gunter. Militia groups have grown from 42 in 2008 to 127 in 2009, the center reported last month.

Law enforcement officials in Dayton, Lebanon and Springfield said no local militias are under investigation. Along with Craft's militia, the Southern Poverty Law Center listed the statewide Ohio Militia, the Southwestern Ohio Defense Force of Lebanon and the Constitutional Militia of Clark County as patriot groups.

A message on the Constitutional Militia of Clark County's Web site states that the pages have been intentionally left blank, but anyone wishing to contact them should send an e-mail. However, a message sent to the e-mail address by a reporter bounced back.

Clark County Sheriff Gene Kelly said he isn't aware of any active militias in the area.

"That's not to say that they're not here, because many of them are running covert operations and don't want to be found," he said.

The Hutaree militia put a link to the Web site of the Ohio Militia on its own site. The link leads to a domain name that’s not in service.

Kenneth Goldsmith of Zanesville, who heads the Ohio Defense Force which includes a Lebanon "battalion," said the Ohio Militia is probably the remnants of an extremist group that has been operating in the state for years. A man identifying himself as the Ohio Militia’s leader last April issued a YouTube video, since removed from the site, calling for an armed million-man march on Washington.

Goldsmith said the Ohio Defense Force has no connections with militant militias. He said his group, which has about 200 members statewide, chose the name "defense force" to avoid the stigma associated with the militant groups.

The Southern Poverty Law Center said militias began springing up in the early 1990s as a reaction to the election of President Bill Clinton and the deadly standoffs between federal agents and the Randy Weaver family at Ruby Ridge, Idaho, in 1992, and the Branch Davidian cult in Waco, Texas, in 1993. Michigan became a militant hotbed, but the Midwest generally, including Ohio and Indiana, has been home to many militias, Gunter said.

"After Oklahoma City, that whole movement started dying off," he said, referring to the April 19, 1995, federal building bombing masterminded by anti-government zealot Timothy McVeigh, who was executed in 2001.

Militia membership has surged since Obama's election, Gunter said. "Obama is president. The economic problems have played a big role. Also (contributing), we think, are the changing demographics of the country. There's a feeling white people are losing control."

These days, he said, militias and patriot groups can organize more easily with technological developments like the Internet. "We have a lot of mainstream figures in the media and politics who are willing to promote their conspiracy theories," Gunter said. "People think, 'Maybe I should be concerned that Obamacare is going to kill my grandma.'"

Craft said his militia has seen an increase in membership since Obama's election. Of the growth of such groups nationally, he said, "maybe it could be the political climate. Generally, people who are in a militia tend to be Libertarian or conservative. When you have a federal administration that is Democrat or liberal, they’re going to be a little more nervous."

Gunter said militia groups make him nervous. He said officials of the Southern Poverty Law Center support everyone's right to free speech, but "you worry about people coming unhinged and taking some kind of action like the Hutarees."

"The time for war has not yet come, but it will come and that soon, and when it does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the scabbard." Gen. T.J. Jackson, March 1861
Re: Ohio Militia in the news #151151
04/05/2010 01:21 PM
04/05/2010 01:21 PM
somewhere-where am I?
J
J. Croft Offline
J. Croft  Offline
J
somewhere-where am I?
The Hutaree raid continues to prove to be a master stroke of propaganda even if the legalities leave about everything to be desired.

ANY militia that makes a public statement is going to be automatically tarbabied by those 8 mugshots. If the Obama administration does nothing much a lot of the move to join militias and learn combat skills, a lot of Tea Party activity by inference, will be squelched. People will understandably not want to be associated with Hutaree.

Even after real shooting starts militias will be painted with that brush for awhile.

Be your own leader

freedomguide.blogspot.com
freedomguide.wordpress.com
youtube.com/user/freedomguide
Re: Ohio Militia in the news #151152
04/05/2010 02:12 PM
04/05/2010 02:12 PM
A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC
ConSigCor Offline OP
ConSigCor  Offline OP
A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC
Let them paint pictures all they want. We can buy a paint set too. Propaganda works both ways.

"The time for war has not yet come, but it will come and that soon, and when it does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the scabbard." Gen. T.J. Jackson, March 1861
Re: Ohio Militia in the news #151153
04/05/2010 02:27 PM
04/05/2010 02:27 PM
Central Wisconsin
S
Sisu Offline
NCO Contributor
Sisu  Offline
NCO Contributor
S
Central Wisconsin
I think you mean propaganda can backfire. If you spread the truth using various forms of media is that propaganda? I'm not going to get out the dictionary right now but I was under the impression propaganda is half truths and lies formed in a manner to persuade the intended audience...

The constitution is a document that was designed to evolve. But not by judges, congress and interpretation. That is to be done through amendments. This has been bypassed. It reminds me of the Christian churches that avoid discussing hell. The bible hasn't changed but the way some churches want to apply it has and that is within their rights and I'm not knocking it because it doesn't effect me.

Re: Ohio Militia in the news #151154
04/05/2010 03:04 PM
04/05/2010 03:04 PM
Upstate New York
T
Tahawus Offline
Tahawus  Offline
T
Upstate New York
Originally posted by Sisu:
I think you mean propaganda can backfire. If you spread the truth using various forms of media is that propaganda? I'm not going to get out the dictionary right now but I was under the impression propaganda is half truths and lies formed in a matter to persuade the intended audience...
The problem is, most Americans can't handle the truth when it is delivered to them raw and uncut.

Re: Ohio Militia in the news #151155
04/05/2010 03:21 PM
04/05/2010 03:21 PM
Central Wisconsin
S
Sisu Offline
NCO Contributor
Sisu  Offline
NCO Contributor
S
Central Wisconsin
I edited my post... In my line of work I meet a lot of interesting people from all walks of life. For example today I met a Chicago cop and picked his brain about the Chicago gun ban and looking for intel was curious if there were any memos floating around having to do with the Supreme court case... And in front of my Mom I asked if police were obligated to protect anyone. He said he was obligated to work within the constitution like anyone else and not obligated to protect anyone... He also said he supports good people having means to protect themselves but reservations because if these people residence were burglarized criminals would now possess these. I didn't push any further but respected his input and could see he was like me just interest in his families future before anything else...

S

Re: Ohio Militia in the news #151156
04/05/2010 03:58 PM
04/05/2010 03:58 PM
DEACTIVATED
P
ParaSkS-DEACTIVATED Offline
ParaSkS-DEACTIVATED  Offline
P
DEACTIVATED
So is my dad. There are good cops out there. But all you hear about is the one bad apple and steriotype from that. However, criminals will aquire weapons no matter what way, so restricting firearms so they don't get them is pointless.

It doesn't matter how you start something, or how you do in the middle. It matters how you finish it
Paramilitary SKS
Re: Ohio Militia in the news #151157
04/05/2010 04:09 PM
04/05/2010 04:09 PM
Central Wisconsin
S
Sisu Offline
NCO Contributor
Sisu  Offline
NCO Contributor
S
Central Wisconsin
Originally posted by ParaSkS:
So is my dad. There are good cops out there. But all you hear about is the one bad apple and steriotype from that. However, criminals will aquire weapons no matter what way, so restricting firearms so they don't get them is pointless.
I agree and I wasn't trying to school him or anything. I was more interested in listening and even more interested in taking some of his money
wink

Re: Ohio Militia in the news #151158
04/09/2010 03:53 AM
04/09/2010 03:53 AM
Republic of Indiana
P
patriotnwi Offline
patriotnwi  Offline
P
Republic of Indiana
There are a few Police Officers amoung a lot of cops... Unfortunately it becomes your job to know the difference when one decides to approach you.

The propoganda machine is in place, and we won't be given the luxury to use the same tool...

Where the patriot community lost a major battle was within our school systems. If the real history was being taught in the schools everyone would realize that the people or our side of thinking was correct and proper... but thanks to thier school system, we have a dumbing down of america going on... and through the years it has brought us to this point...

The real trick here is to power educate... to un-teach what our tax dollars have embedded in milions of minds... but not get labeled in doing so. Almost a impossible feat...

That is the real lesson being taught to us... The lesson taught over the ages is that the winner makes up history and is allowed to repeat it over and over till all that anyone knows is thier fabricated lies...

Good luck ahead ladies and gentlemen, as we are in the heat of what has been building for 200 years....

My .02 cents worth....

©>
©All information posted on this site is the private property of the individual author and AWRM.net and may not be reproduced without permission. © 2001-2020 AWRM.net All Rights Reserved.