09/12/2011 03:34 PM
09/12/2011 03:34 PM
Tulsa
airforce Online content OP
Administrator
airforce  Online Content OP
Administrator
Tulsa
Radley Balko found this article in Tactical Response magazine, apparently a magazine for military and SWAT people. Note this incredible passage:

Team commanders must raise the profile of their teams. Stay active. Yes, I mean do warrant service and drug raids even if you have to poach the work. First, your team needs the training time under true callout conditions. If all your team does is train, but seldom deploy, you will end up training just to train. You need to train to fight. You already know that.

Second, make SWAT familiar to senior police staff. Everyone fears the unknown. Don’t let SWAT be that unknown. Make deploying SWAT something that is routine, not something only done after much hand-wringing. “Oh, no! You mean we have to call SWAT? Oh, I don’t know, I just don’t know. Really? Call SWAT? Really?”

Yes, you should have clear guidelines for activating the team. But how many times has the callout of a part-time team been delayed or denied when those callout criteria were met? We really do need to explain that SWAT is less of a threat than the people in the calls we are responding to—you know, those vewy, vewy bad people.
I have to admit, that almost made my eyeballs explode. The author is saying that SWAT commanders should urge that their teams be deployed in situations for which they normally wouldn’t be to ensure they’re in good practice for when a "real" situation comes along.

Um, what's wrong with this picture?

Well, for one thing, people die in these SWAT raids. Haven't I posted enough articles here to illustrate that basic concept? There are living, breathing people on the other ends of these raids. I have lost count of how many articles I've posted about women, children, elderly people, the developmentally disabled, and just plain ordinary people who lived at the wrong address, who needlessly lost their lives in these SWAT raids. And, yes, I've posted articles about officers who also lost their lives for no reason.

But here is the author, Ed Sanow, arguing for more of the same. Because SWAT teams need practice in the "real world."

mad

Onward and upward,
airforce

Re: SWAT Practice on Real People #153372
09/13/2011 02:06 AM
09/13/2011 02:06 AM
In the Mountains
N
North Force Offline
North Force  Offline
N
In the Mountains
Maybe its time we start training against them. Karma is a MO-FO.

Ed Sanow
Editorial Director
LAW and ORDER
Tactical Response
Police Fleet Manager
esanow@hendonpub.com
Phone: (800) 843-9764 x28

Yesenia Salcedo
Managing Editor
ysalcedo@hendonpub.com
Phone: (800) 843-9764 x30

Henry Kingwill
Group Publisher
henry@hendonpub.com
Phone: (800) 843-9764 x22

"To achieve One World Government it is necessary to remove from the minds of men their individualism, their loyalty to family traditions and national identification."
~ Brock Chisholm, when director of UN World Health Organization
Re: SWAT Practice on Real People #153373
09/13/2011 02:23 AM
09/13/2011 02:23 AM
Central Virginia; VIM
S
SBL Offline
SBL  Offline
S
Central Virginia; VIM
What he suggests is incredibly dangerous and irresponsible. When I was a police officer, our job was to defuse the situation, NOT escalate it.

If I were a cop on a SWAT or equivalent team, I would refuse to risk my life because some jackass MIGHT have a couple chemicals he's not supposed to have in his house.

BTW, we have gleaned some really good info from Tactical Response Magazine, so the training does go both ways. We've learned to train as they do, but under our rules of engagement, not theirs.

It looks like there are a lot of comments ridiculing the writer. Here's one I especially like:

This article is indicative of everything that is wrong
with the rise and prevalence of paramilitary SWAT.
1. An apparent belief that american citizens are the enemy.
2. Use of force in situations that do not warrant it.
3. Abuse of police power.
4. The sheer number of SWAT teams, far beyond
anything required.
5. Complete lack of self awareness and the view the public holds of unnecessary police force and
abuse.
6. Tough guy mentality by wanna bes that cant hack it in the real world military.

One of the principle tenets of terrorism is to cause
the government to oppress its own people so they grow to resent and desire to overthrow that government. It seems to be working quite well in the U.S. because of people like Sanow.

This is dysfunctional policing. It needs to stop and now.

On equipment: You get what you inspect, not what you expect.
On training: Our drills are bloodless battles so that our battles are bloody drills.
On tactics: Cheating just means you're serious about winning.
Re: SWAT Practice on Real People #153374
09/13/2011 02:38 AM
09/13/2011 02:38 AM
Central Virginia; VIM
S
SBL Offline
SBL  Offline
S
Central Virginia; VIM
Also, you can request a free sample of their magazine on the Tactical Response website.

On equipment: You get what you inspect, not what you expect.
On training: Our drills are bloodless battles so that our battles are bloody drills.
On tactics: Cheating just means you're serious about winning.
Re: SWAT Practice on Real People #153375
09/13/2011 07:50 AM
09/13/2011 07:50 AM
TX - DAL
P
Pericles Offline
Pericles  Offline
P
TX - DAL
Originally posted by SBL:
What he suggests is incredibly dangerous and irresponsible. When I was a police officer, our job was to defuse the situation, NOT escalate it.

If I were a cop on a SWAT or equivalent team, I would refuse to risk my life because some jackass MIGHT have a couple chemicals he's not supposed to have in his house.

BTW, we have gleaned some really good info from Tactical Response Magazine, so the training does go both ways. We've learned to train as they do, but under our rules of engagement, not theirs.

It looks like there are a lot of comments ridiculing the writer. Here's one I especially like:

This article is indicative of everything that is wrong with the rise and prevalence of paramilitary SWAT.
1. An apparent belief that american citizens are the enemy.
2. Use of force in situations that do not warrant it.
3. Abuse of police power.
4. The sheer number of SWAT teams, far beyond
anything required.
5. Complete lack of self awareness and the view the public holds of unnecessary police force and
abuse.
6. Tough guy mentality by wanna bes that cant hack it in the real world military.

One of the principle tenets of terrorism is to cause the government to oppress its own people so they grow to resent and desire to overthrow that government. It seems to be working quite well in the U.S. because of people like Sanow.

This is dysfunctional policing. It needs to stop and now.
That comment summed it all up very nicely.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson

www.dallascitytroop.org
Re: SWAT Practice on Real People #153376
09/13/2011 09:54 AM
09/13/2011 09:54 AM
somewhere-where am I?
J
J. Croft Offline
J. Croft  Offline
J
somewhere-where am I?
I wrote and compiled a lot of information on how to deal with these tools:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/51729720/SECOND-AMERICAN-REVOLUTION-VICTORY-GUIDE-2-0

Be your own leader

freedomguide.blogspot.com
freedomguide.wordpress.com
youtube.com/user/freedomguide

©>
©All information posted on this site is the private property of the individual author and AWRM.net and may not be reproduced without permission. © 2001-2020 AWRM.net All Rights Reserved.