05/02/2012 12:27 AM
05/02/2012 12:27 AM
Malaysia
F
Flick Offline OP
Flick  Offline OP
F
Malaysia
Source: http://www.wnd.com/2012/05/100-blacks-beat-white-couple-media-buries-attack/?cat_orig=us

Many blacks beat white couple, media bury attack

There’s outrage in Norfolk, Va., today after a white couple was attacked by dozens of black teenagers, and the local newspaper did not report on the incident for two weeks, despite the victims being reporters for the paper.

Even today, the Virginian-Pilot did not cover the crime as news, but rather as an opinion piece by columnist Michelle Washington.

“Wave after wave of young men surged forward to take turns punching and kicking their victim,” Washington wrote, describing the onslaught that began when Dave Forster and Marjon Rostami stopped at a traffic light while driving home from a show on a Saturday night. A crowd of at least 100 black young people was on the sidewalk at the time.

“Rostami locked her car door. Someone threw a rock at her window. Forster got out to confront the rock-thrower, and that’s when the beating began.

“The victim’s friend, a young woman, tried to pull him back into his car. Attackers came after her, pulling her hair, punching her head and causing a bloody scratch to the surface of her eye. She called 911. A recording told her all lines were busy. She called again. Busy. On her third try, she got through and, hysterical, could scream only their location. Church and Brambleton. Church and Brambleton. Church and Brambleton. It happened four blocks from where they work, here at the Virginian-Pilot.”

Washington says neither suffered grave injuries, but both were out of work for a week. Forster’s torso ached from blows to his ribs, and he retained a thumb-sized bump on his head. Rostami reportedly fears to be alone in her home., while Forster wishes he’d stayed in the car.

The columnist admits the story has not, until today, appeared in the Virginian-Pilot.

“The responding officer coded the incident as a simple assault, despite their assertions that at least 30 people had participated in the attack,” Washington explains. “A reporter making routine checks of police reports would see ‘simple assault’ and, if the names were unfamiliar, would be unlikely to write about it. In this case, editors hesitated to assign a story about their own employees. Would it seem like the paper treated its employees differently from other crime victims?”

Washington says the day after the beatings, Forster searched Twitter for mention of the attack, and one post in particular chilled him.

“I feel for the white man who got beat up at the light,” wrote one person.

“I don’t,” wrote another, indicating laughter. “(do it for trayvon martin)”

Trayvon Martin is the unarmed black teen who died after being shot by a community-watch captain with white and Hispanic parents, George Zimmerman, in Sanford, Fla., sparking a wave of outrage long after the incident.

The newspaper is coming under heavy criticism today from residents in the greater Norfolk area, known as Hampton Roads.

“It is unbelievable that the Virginian-Pilot would BURY this story for two weeks for politically correct reasons. That is sad and disgusting,” said David Englert of Norfolk. “Someone should be fired or resign over the decision not to report this attack. It is a sad enough commentary on our society and community to read about how the responding police viewed this crime, but for our only newspaper to decide that they will hide from the truth rather than report the truth is PATHETIC! Any attack by a mob of people on any innocent victim should be put under a bright spotlight for all involved to be judged and exposed as appropriate, and to make sure that the criminal justice system does its job to protect those who obey the law.”

William Tabor of Chesapeake, Va., complained: “Surely the Pilot knew about it. A racially motivated attack is certainly news. Was it not politically correct enough to be reported? Is civilization suspended in Norfolk after dark? If we can’t rely on the police for protection, and our [news] media fails to warn us of such hazards, we can only rely on ourselves.”

Charles Chandler of Norfolk indicated: “I am not sure what I am angrier about. This story, or the crowd of black teens who needlessly and thoughtlessly beat two white victims. Or am I just angry that this still occurs in the year 2012. Nearly fifty years after the marches and the speeches and the declaration of civil liberties for all people. Clearly we are nowhere near the dream Dr. King envisioned. I am angry. I am angry at the calloused cop who stated ‘this is what they do.’ I am angry at the Pilot for hiding it under a bushel.”

And Douglas Gaynor of Virginia Beach brought up the need for self-defense, saying, “If the young lady was armed and trained, she could have whipped out P345 and taken out a few thugs.”

Re: Norfolk, VA - Media buries news of race-based attack #154298
05/02/2012 02:24 AM
05/02/2012 02:24 AM
North Carolina
S
safetalker Offline
safetalker  Offline
S
North Carolina
Charles Chandler of Norfolk indicated: “I am not sure what I am angrier about. This story, or the crowd of black teens who needlessly and thoughtlessly beat two white victims. Or am I just angry that this still occurs in the year 2012. Nearly fifty years after the marches and the speeches and the declaration of civil liberties for all people. Clearly we are nowhere near the dream Dr. King envisioned. I am angry. I am angry at the calloused cop who stated ‘this is what they do.’ I am angry at the Pilot for hiding it under a bushel.”
Then the paper would have fired her and printed 4 X 6 photos of those 10 year old choir boys and Chorus singers. The FBI would have investigated and both reporters would never work again.
I used to carry a small pistol when I went to bad parts of town. Now I carry two when I go to the courthouse.
Here in Fayetteville I was talking with a lady about her son. She related that he was crossing a ball field on his way to work at a fast food place. A black teen called out to him "Hey Cracker! Give me some money" the kid responded that he as on his way to work and "had none to spare". The black kid pulled a small pistol and shot him. The local news called it a robbery gone wrong. No mention of the "Slurs (cracker)".
In Elizabeth city a guy was cleaning his Winchester 700 when it went off as he placed it on the table. The round killed a little girl and passed through her sister and mom. The guy called the 911. The FBI was not satisfied with the investigation and is now doing their own.
Apparently it is a crime now to be White in our Republic.

Re: Norfolk, VA - Media buries news of race-based attack #154299
05/02/2012 03:07 AM
05/02/2012 03:07 AM
WI Northwoods
D
drjarhead Offline
drjarhead  Offline
D
WI Northwoods
Lamestream 5th column = Enemy

The War for America
Fight Everywhere
III
Re: Norfolk, VA - Media buries news of race-based attack #154300
05/03/2012 08:05 AM
05/03/2012 08:05 AM
Malaysia
F
Flick Offline OP
Flick  Offline OP
F
Malaysia
From World Net Daily:

Norfolk paper fires back in black-mob attack

As Norfolk, Va., home of the world’s largest naval base, continues to be embroiled in racial controversy, the editor of the city’s newspaper is firing back at critics who claim his agency buried or covered up an attack by a mob of black teenagers against two of his white reporters two weeks ago.

“They think we buried the story. We didn’t. We didn’t bury anything,” Denis Finley, editor of the Virginian-Pilot, told WND. “People are just not stopping to think. What would be my motivation for protecting people who beat up two of my reporters? It’s completely ludicrous that I would do that.” [Flick: Um, how about political correctness?]

“I think we did the right thing. I think we’re on solid ground. [Flick: Deny, deny, deny.] I don’t think we can win here. If we had published a story, it would look like we’re playing favorites. Because I didn’t publish it, now I’m accused of a cover-up.” [Flick: That's right, blame it on others.]

As WND reported yesterday, the couple was pummeled at a stoplight the night of April 14 by dozens of black teens, and the newspaper had no mention of the incident for two weeks, despite the fact the victims, Dave Forster and Marjon Rostami, are both news reporters for the paper.

Police classified the case as a “simple assault,” as neither of the victims were seriously hurt. Both were off work for a week. Forster’s torso ached from blows to his ribs, and he retained a thumb-sized bump on his head.

Chris Amos, spokesman for Norfolk Police stressed this afternoon the case “is not being investigated as a hate crime.” [Flick: Hmm, no one is asking Mr. Amos if the police would have considered it a hate crime had the attackers been white and the victims been black. Why, in God's name, is no one asking the question that is begging to be asked?]

“Could it have been [a hate crime]? Yeah, it could have, I guess,” Amos said. “We certainly haven’t ruled that out, but we haven’t seen anything that jumps out at us other than someone throwing a rock at someone’s car.” [Flick: What is required for a human being to be this obviously dishonest, knowing that people know you're full of beans and say it with a straight face anyway?]

“A whole lot of racial implications have been made. We don’t know the motive of this. Race didn’t become a factor until Twitter comments later. No one at the scene said it was racially motivated. They didn’t tell us then and they didn’t hear any [comments such as] ‘Remember Trayvon Martin.’”

[...snip...]

When asked about Rostami’s race, Finley said, “She is white. She is Iranian, which is a Caucasian. I believe that is how you would describe a Persian.”

Finley, who has been with the Pilot for 25 years, says they go to “great pains” to make sure they treat themselves the same way as anyone else in the community.

“If this had happened to John or Jane Doe and we saw it on the police report, we would not have put it in the paper,” he said. [Flick: ...unless the Does were black and their attackers were white, of course.] “If we reported every simple assault, we wouldn’t have room for anything else in the paper.” [Flick: Really? If there are that many assaults in Norfolk, that's an epidemic of violence. Sounds like another lame excuse to me.]

He also noted, “Dave and Marjon didn’t want to be in the paper. That wouldn’t have mattered if it became a story.”

Forster told WND there were approximately 100 onlookers during the attack, with 30 people surrounding the car. When someone reportedly threw a rock at the vehicle, he got out to confront the rock-thrower. That’s when the beating commenced.

“It seemed like four or five guys at a time were hitting me,” he said.

Forster says he didn’t hear any racial slurs during the onslaught, and he couldn’t make out any distinctive sounds of laughing, yelling or talking.

Safari Tripp, a black man who lives near where the assault took place, told the local ABC-TV affiliate, “If you’re by yourself or you’re not from around here or you don’t know anybody around here, you’re a target. Automatically.”

According to Pilot columnist Michelle Washington who wrote an opinion piece about the attack yesterday, Attackers then came after Rostami, “pulling her hair, punching her head and causing a bloody scratch to the surface of her eye. She called 911. A recording told her all lines were busy. She called again. Busy. On her third try, she got through and, hysterical, could scream only their location. Church and Brambleton. Church and Brambleton. Church and Brambleton.”

Amos is critical of some mischaracterizations in Washington’s commentary, telling WND, “That’s what happens when [an opinion columnist] reports the news, not bound by the facts of the case.”

He also said officers were simultaneously called to a report of shots fired in a nearby neighborhood, so their resources were limited.

The newspaper, police and city officials are all facing the wrath of citizens both locally and across America as the case has received national attention.

“This is wrong on so many levels,” adds Robert Fogle of Portsmouth, Va. “The Pilot in not reporting the story has proven itself not to be a media outlet, but a tabloid. Gone are the days that there was a journalistic code of ethics to report the news, not be the news, and let the reader decide. The police in their reaction proved that they have forgotten that their’s is a duty to protect and serve, not cop an attitude while intimidating the victim. And, as is par for the course, the leadership, or lack of leadership, at the police department closed ranks and provided an excuse for the incompetent actions of the officers. Lastly, city leadership, that will surely fail their citizens in not demanding an investigation, and holding the police accountable for failure and dereliction of duty.” [Flick: Wow, I'm surprised this paragraph wasn't edited out "to save space".]

Finley has already posted a brief memo to staff about the case, and has written a column for the forthcoming edition of the Virginian-Pilot.

“A lot of people are not going to believe what I tell them. [Flick: For good reasons] It comes with the territory,” [Flick: Did he just imply that, any time someone criticizes a journalist or newspaper for bias, it is baseless and inaccurate?] he said, adding, “It has not been a good day – not a good day for us, not a good day for reason, not a good day for journalism in general.” [Flick: Well, it certainly wasn't a good day for a politically correct company passing itself off as a news reporting company, that's for sure.]

The Virginian-Pilot has a tie to President Obama, as its publisher since 2008, Maurice Jones, was nominated by Obama and recently confirmed by the U.S. Senate to be deputy secretary of HUD, the Department of Housing and Urban Development.

He was expected to start his new job in Washington on April 16, meaning he was still officially the Pilot’s publisher through the weekend of the Norfolk mob attack.

Finley told WND Jones was not involved in any decision on whether or not to publish information about the mob attack. [Flick: What bold-faced double speak. Fine, so Jones wasn't involved in the decision, but he omits to say whether Jones' position in the Obama administration influenced the decision.]

“We have an independent newsroom,” he said. “I don’t ask the publisher for permission to publish or not publish.” [Flick: With a fall-in-line editor such as Finley, I'm sure he doesn't need to ask the publisher. They understand each other, and it's why Finley is still employed there.]

©>
©All information posted on this site is the private property of the individual author and AWRM.net and may not be reproduced without permission. © 2001-2020 AWRM.net All Rights Reserved.