08/28/2012 06:01 AM
Tulsa
airforce Online content OP
Administrator
airforce  Online Content OP
Administrator
Tulsa
...because it\'s too violent.

Three-year-old Hunter sign name uses the thumb and first two fingers in a shooting motion. The two fingers are crossed, to show the name is uniquely his. Hunter is a dictionary word, and the sign is a registered sign in Signing Exact English (S.E.E.). But Grand Island Public Schools deems the sign "too violent," and has asked that his name be changed.

I'm not kidding. Read the story and watch the video.

Hunter Spanjer says his name with a certain special hand gesture, but at just three and a half years old, he may have to change it.

"He's deaf, and his name sign, they say, is a violation of their weapons policy," explained Hunter's father, Brian Spanjer.

Grand Island's "Weapons in Schools" Board Policy 8470 forbids "any instrument...that looks like a weapon," But a three year-old's hands?

"Anybody that I have talked to thinks this is absolutely ridiculous. This is not threatening in any way," said Hunter's grandmother Janet Logue.

"It's a symbol. It's an actual sign, a registered sign, through S.E.E.," Brian Spanjer said.

S.E.E. stands for Signing Exact English, Hunter's sign language. Hunter's name gesture is modified with crossed-fingers to show it is uniquely his own.

"We are working with the parents to come to the best solution we can for the child," said Jack Sheard, Grand Island Public Schools spokesperson.

That's just about all GIPS officials will say for now.

Meantime, Hunter's parents say that by Monday, lawyers from the National Association of the Deaf are likely to weigh in for Hunter's right to sign his own name.

Despite whatever rules and regulations may exist, some Grand Islanders we spoke with said they don't think it's right to make a three year-old change the way he says his name.

"It's his name. It's not like he's going to bring a gun to school when he's three years old," commented Dana Schwieger.

"I find it very difficult to believe that the sign language that shows his name resembles a gun in any way would even enter a child's mind," Grand Island resident Fredda Bartenbach reflected.

But for now, that's a discussion between the Spanjers and Grand Island Public Schools officials.
If y0ou find this as outrageous as I do, you can contact the school board at http://www.gips.org/contact_us and tell them how you feel about this.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Re: School Tells Deaf Child to Change His Name #154912
08/28/2012 06:23 AM
08/28/2012 06:23 AM
In the Mountains
N
North Force Offline
North Force  Offline
N
In the Mountains
Its really hard to come up with words as to how the Sheep continue to put up with the absolute corruption in this police state.

"To achieve One World Government it is necessary to remove from the minds of men their individualism, their loyalty to family traditions and national identification."
~ Brock Chisholm, when director of UN World Health Organization
Re: School Tells Deaf Child to Change His Name #154913
08/28/2012 09:32 AM
08/28/2012 09:32 AM
North Carolina
S
safetalker Offline
safetalker  Offline
S
North Carolina
Perhaps they should sit the young man down and teach him a new hand sign that only uses 1 finger.
Then allow the school to decode which is better?

Re: School Tells Deaf Child to Change His Name #154914
08/28/2012 12:11 PM
08/28/2012 12:11 PM
A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC
ConSigCor Offline
ConSigCor  Offline
A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC
Originally posted by safetalker:
Perhaps they should sit the young man down and teach him a new hand sign that only uses 1 finger.
Then allow the school to decode which is better?
The parents should be giving the school system the finger.

"The time for war has not yet come, but it will come and that soon, and when it does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the scabbard." Gen. T.J. Jackson, March 1861
Re: School Tells Deaf Child to Change His Name #154915
08/28/2012 01:28 PM
08/28/2012 01:28 PM
Somewhere over there
C
CH Offline
CH  Offline
C
Somewhere over there
His name is too violent? So If his name was say, REMINGTON or REMY for short, would they want to call him by his last or middle name because it is the same name as a firearm manufacturer? THIS IS YET ANOTHER REASON WHY I WILL NEVER PUT MY CHILDREN (when I have any) IN A PUBLIC SCHOOL.

RED WHITE BLUE.3 colors that dont run.NEITHER DO I.

FEAR is NOT in my vocabulary.

Fight free or Die a slave.
Re: School Tells Deaf Child to Change His Name #154916
08/30/2012 09:05 AM
08/30/2012 09:05 AM
Tulsa
airforce Online content OP
Administrator
airforce  Online Content OP
Administrator
Tulsa
Originally posted by ConSigCor:
The parents should be giving the school system the finger.
According to a new Gallup poll, most parents would , if they could afford any of the alternatives after paying their school taxes.

The poll compared public schools with private independent schools, parochial schools, charter schools, and home schooling. In every category, the respondents rated public schools dead last.

And really, why should they strive to improve? They're getting your money, whether you send your children there or not. Just one more reason why I'm a free market anarchist.

Onward and upward,
airforce

©>
©All information posted on this site is the private property of the individual author and AWRM.net and may not be reproduced without permission. © 2001-2020 AWRM.net All Rights Reserved.