10/17/2012 10:48 AM
10/17/2012 10:48 AM
Tulsa
airforce Online content OP
Administrator
airforce  Online Content OP
Administrator
Tulsa
Quazi Mohammad Rezwanul Ahsan Nafism , a 21-year-old man from Bangladesh supposedly with ties to Al Qaeda, has been arrested for trying to blow up the New York federal reserve with a 1000-pound bomb.

Nafis asked the undercover agent for 50-pound bags of what he thought were explosives, and then worked on putting together an explosive device, according to prosecutors.

"Nafis purchased components for the bomb’s detonator and conducted surveillance for his attack on multiple occasions in New York City’s financial district in lower Manhattan," a Justice Department press release describing the criminal complaint said. “Throughout his interactions with the undercover agent, Nafis repeatedly asserted that the plan was his own and was the reason he had come to the United States."
You know, I find it somewhat interesting that a 1000-pound bomb is now a "weapon of mass destruction (WMD)." By that definition, Iraq was crawling with WMD's when we invaded them.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Re: Man Arrested For Plot to Bomb Federal Reserve #155014
10/18/2012 02:40 AM
10/18/2012 02:40 AM
Malaysia
F
Flick Offline
Flick  Offline
F
Malaysia
Was this concocted to generate sympathy and support for the Fed?

Re: Man Arrested For Plot to Bomb Federal Reserve #155015
10/18/2012 03:07 AM
10/18/2012 03:07 AM
Malaysia
F
Flick Offline
Flick  Offline
F
Malaysia
I just saw this on today's Lew Rockwell blog section:

How misleading can a "news" article get? Try this headline: "Federal Reserve bombing plot foiled in NYC" (see here). There never was a plot to foil. There never was an independent plot to foil. The plot was of the FBI's own devising and instigation. What? Did the FBI foil its own plot? This makes no sense. The FBI simply terminated a procedure to entrap some naive would-be bomber. The FBI even helped him select his imaginary target. "FBI arrests dupe" is more like it, or "FBI stings dupe", or "FBI concludes bombing sting with an arrest".

A sting operation like this doesn't foil anything. It SETS UP someone for a fall. It's an enhanced frame-up done with the FBI-encouraged participation of the person framed. The FBI agents literally become criminals, conspire as criminals, further the planned crime, and create the crime. They should arrest themselves.

The big negative from this is its propaganda value. It keeps alive the myth that America is under constant terrorist threats. It keeps alive the myth that massive resources must be allocated to federal agencies to counter these threats. It keeps alive the myth that the U.S. needs to remake the Muslim world in order to keep America safe. It keeps alive the myth that Americans must abandon the Bill of Rights or their natural rights in order to be secure from these threats.

These stings are ways to create a big bad BOGEYMAN that really doesn't exist

Re: Man Arrested For Plot to Bomb Federal Reserve #155016
10/18/2012 08:51 AM
10/18/2012 08:51 AM
Tulsa
Administrator
Administrator
Tulsa
When your would-be terrorist is a dumbass, it\'s not real hard to catch him. I mean, this kid was discussing the legalities of Jihad on Facebook(!)

He tried to detonate the Federal Reserve in lower Manhattan, only his bomb was a dud. He asked a contact over Facebook — who was a secret FBI informant — if it was permissible to blow up a country that granted him a student visa. And he cackled in a park about wanting to pull off a terrorist attack so big it would bring Muslims closer to the day they would “run the world.”

This is the mind-boggling tale of Quazi Mohammad Rezwanul Ahsan Nafis, a 21-year old Bangladeshi national arrested in New York on Wednesday on terrorism charges. If even a fraction of what the government alleges against him is true, Nafis is simultaneously a dedicated would-be mass murderer and a complete buffoon who, like many jihadi wannabes, set himself up for failure from the start....
I'm going to reserve judgment until I hear more of the facts, but I don't think this kid has all of his cheese on his sandwich.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Re: Man Arrested For Plot to Bomb Federal Reserve #155017
10/18/2012 03:23 PM
10/18/2012 03:23 PM
Philistine Occupied CA
I
Imagrunt Offline
Imagrunt  Offline

I
Philistine Occupied CA
How do you blow up a building full of debt?

I would gladly lay aside the use of arms and settle matters by negotiation, but unless the whole will, the matter ends, and I take up my battle rifle, and thank God that He has put it within my grasp.

Audit Fort Knox!
Re: Man Arrested For Plot to Bomb Federal Reserve #155018
10/18/2012 04:54 PM
10/18/2012 04:54 PM
Eastern NC
HARBINGER Offline
HARBINGER  Offline
Eastern NC
Originally posted by Imagrunt:
How do you blow up a building full of debt?
$40 billion a month indefinitely?

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. - Psalm, CXLIV
Re: Man Arrested For Plot to Bomb Federal Reserve #155019
10/19/2012 03:24 PM
10/19/2012 03:24 PM
Wisconsin
C
catfish Offline
catfish  Offline
C
Wisconsin
My memory isn't what it used to be. BUT, isn't this the 3rd or 4th time something like this has happened in the past year or two?

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Marine General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Re: Man Arrested For Plot to Bomb Federal Reserve #155020
10/20/2012 05:24 AM
10/20/2012 05:24 AM
Tulsa
Administrator
Administrator
Tulsa
Terrorist Stings Make U.S. Less Safe

...Since 2004, the most impressive visible domestic victories against terrorism have involved elaborate sting operations. (Faisal Shahzad, who set a car bomb in New York’s Times Square, would have succeeded if two street vendors hadn’t noticed smoke coming from the car.) Since Congress closed domestic courts to prosecutions of terrorists held in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, all the high-profile terror convictions in U.S. courts have come from setup operations except for Shahzad.

Of course, it is conceivable that other, genuine domestic terror operations have been thwarted without arrests being made -- but outside the realm of “Homeland” or “24,” such a scenario is highly unlikely. The value of a public conviction is too high for law enforcement to pass up. More to the point, the risk of letting a would-be terrorist walk around freely is too great for law enforcement to take.

The upshot is that our domestic anti-terror system has been reduced to a series of sting operations. Those who have gotten through the cracks, such as Army Major Nidal Hasan, who is accused of killing 13 at Fort Hood in 2009, acted alone and remained undetected. Unless you believe that the people caught in stings were going to commit acts of terror on their own, it’s hard to escape the conclusion that there isn’t much connection between domestic counterterror operations and the actual terror threats that surely still exist.

Would those convicted for attempting terror in concert with undercover agents have acted alone? Entrapment law says a jury must believe that the accused had a prior inclination to commit the crime. But even if we accept that a jury would actually throw out a terror charge on entrapment grounds, proving prior inclination is a far cry from proving that the accused would have acted without the assistance and encouragement of law enforcement.

In several well-publicized cases, it seems almost certain that no terrorist attack would have occurred without the government’s active support. The Fort Dix Six were a group of New Jersey men who shot semi-automatic weapons in the woods, played paintball and sat around Dunkin’ Donuts talking about jihad. They were convicted after an FBI undercover agent offered to sell them guns and RPGs for what was said to be an attack on Fort Dix, where one of them had delivered pizzas.

In a few more extreme cases, run not by the FBI but the New York Police Department, the would-be terrorists were either unbalanced or of low intelligence, and sometimes both. Indeed, given the ubiquity of such stings, you have to wonder about the intelligence and stability of anyone who allows himself to be guided into terror by a stranger whose identity he hasn’t reliably verified....
Read the whole thing at the link.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Re: Man Arrested For Plot to Bomb Federal Reserve #155021
10/21/2012 12:10 AM
10/21/2012 12:10 AM
Western States
Breacher Offline
Breacher  Offline
Western States
Its their thing among the Arab population. I personally don't particularly disagree with the FBI on this one since they are acting against groups which have been acting aggressively against not just the US government but individual people for a very very long time.

I think the feds have some sort of handle on a number of social networking sites used by the Arabs, so they get their hooks in one that is known anyway, set up and bust them, then the publicity of the bust gets them all to distrust various Jihadi contacts from the US.

The real quality takedown however would be in dealing with Saudi diplomats or relatively high placed representatives of a leading Muslim outfit that is doing the "cash for newsworthy events" thing that a lot of the Iranians and Syrians have been pretty well known for in the Middle East, and Khaddaffi had tried less than entirely successfully with some Muslim themed street gangs out of Chicago. They had some success until they ran into a rivalry with some more established Black Muslim groups.

So a lot of questions remain on whether or not actual foreign intelligence operatives have ever been caught attempting to pay for terrorist acts. The closest thing I have seen was a series of busts of intermediaries in the arms trade, however back around 2004 or 2005 a major police equipment supplier (Galls) got raided for selling a bunch of night vision equipment to the Iranian national police.

Someone associated with this site actually was involved in that case a little bit but the government would never officially acknowledge his help since that individual later came under investigation on another case. In each of the major investigations involving allegations of international smuggling, it was people far closer to the government who were actually providing hardware to the bad guys, although we have not gotten any heat since the BATF has been embroiled in the Fast and Furious scandal after burning a couple of our people and refusing to make any equitable deals.

I have been really curious as to why there have been no public busts of some sheik or representatives of some sheik's out of say, Oman or Yemen who were offering money for terrorist acts. You could fake up some attacks under controlled circumstances, publicize it, then when their foreign ministries and various agents step up to reward the perps, you gain intel, pull off a couple more fake terror attacks, then bust the lot of them. No so much false flag stuff with a real bodycount, but something totally Hollywood. The ruse would only have to last for a few months. Crash an empty cargo plane in the desert, claim it was a successful terror attack, get paid, then find out everything about the terrorist paymasters.

Life liberty, and the pursuit of those who threaten them.

Trump: not the president America needs, but the president America deserves.
Re: Man Arrested For Plot to Bomb Federal Reserve #155022
10/21/2012 02:03 PM
10/21/2012 02:03 PM
Wisconsin
C
catfish Offline
catfish  Offline
C
Wisconsin
Thanks for the link Air Force and thanks for the clarifying thoughts Breacher. They helped clear up the static in my brain.

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Marine General James "Mad Dog" Mattis

©>
©All information posted on this site is the private property of the individual author and AWRM.net and may not be reproduced without permission. © 2001-2020 AWRM.net All Rights Reserved.