01/08/2013 05:07 AM
01/08/2013 05:07 AM
Tulsa
airforce Offline OP
Administrator
airforce  Offline OP
Administrator
Tulsa
Specifically, the retired general is worried about how they\'re being perceived around the world . he fears they may be hated by many people.

Ya think?

But no one else in Washington seems to think so. President Obama just nominated John Brennan, the one official most responsible for the drone campaign, to be CIA Director.

Aerial reconnaissance and attack drones have had a liberating effect on U.S. military forces, but they are deeply hated by many people and their overuse could jeopardize Washington's broader objectives, retired General Stanley McChrystal said on Monday.

McChrystal, who authored the U.S. counterinsurgency strategy in Afghanistan, said use of drones had enabled him to carry out missions with smaller groups of special operations forces because the "eye in the sky" provided backup security.

"What scares me about drone strikes is how they are perceived around the world," he said in an interview. "The resentment created by American use of unmanned strikes ... is much greater than the average American appreciates. They are hated on a visceral level, even by people who've never seen one or seen the effects of one."

McChrystal said the use of drones exacerbates a "perception of American arrogance that says, 'Well we can fly where we want, we can shoot where we want, because we can.'"

Drones should be used in the context of an overall strategy, he said, and if their use threatens the broader goals or creates more problems than it solves, then you have to ask whether they are the right tool.

President Barack Obama's heavy reliance on drones to wage war against al Qaeda in Afghanistan, Pakistan and elsewhere has provoked questions about the use of the aircraft and the legality of targeted killings.

Washington has not been swayed by the criticism and Obama nominated the official behind the campaign, top counterterrorism adviser John Brennan, to be the next CIA director....
Onward and upward,
airforce

Re: General McChrystal Worried About Drone Strikes #155542
01/08/2013 07:17 AM
01/08/2013 07:17 AM
somewhere-where am I?
J
J. Croft Offline
J. Croft  Offline
J
somewhere-where am I?

Be your own leader

freedomguide.blogspot.com
freedomguide.wordpress.com
youtube.com/user/freedomguide
Re: General McChrystal Worried About Drone Strikes #155543
01/09/2013 02:19 AM
01/09/2013 02:19 AM
Malaysia
F
Flick Offline
Flick  Offline
F
Malaysia
And now McChrystal is giving his oh-so-informed opinion on our right to own guns:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/mcchrystal-says-serious-action-needed-gun-control-174328785.html

McChrystal: "I personally don't think there's any need for that kind of weaponry [5.56mm platforms] on the streets and particularly around the schools in America. ... I understand everybody's desire to have whatever they want, but [wait for it...] we've got to protect our children, we've got to protect our police [who's going to protect us from the police?], we've got to protect our population [who's "we"?],..."

The interview gets better ...or worse.

Re: General McChrystal Worried About Drone Strikes #155544
01/09/2013 01:24 PM
01/09/2013 01:24 PM
North Central Ohio
30soldier Offline
30soldier  Offline
North Central Ohio
He just repeated his belief again on CNN; he is the enemy. I don't give a crap what his belief is on anything.

Only the dead have seen the end of war-Plato
Re: General McChrystal Worried About Drone Strikes #155545
01/09/2013 01:30 PM
01/09/2013 01:30 PM
WI Northwoods
D
drjarhead Offline
drjarhead  Offline
D
WI Northwoods
CFR

The War for America
Fight Everywhere
III

©>
©All information posted on this site is the private property of the individual author and AWRM.net and may not be reproduced without permission. © 2001-2020 AWRM.net All Rights Reserved.